Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 219
Thanks Tree239Thanks

Thread: [GW83] Watching Ken Burns' Documentary On VietNam on Netflix

  1. #191
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70,514
    Thanks
    34401

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    In contrast, I LOVE Duvall in the Western series Broken Trail. Now, I admit, I have only watched the first half of Lonesome Dove so far, but I found Broken Trail to just be MUCH better. Was it just because it had all those beautiful young Asian women in it? Could I be THAT easy to sway with feminine beauty?


    Well, maybe.
    One of Duval'sl best performances, IMHO of course, was in a movie called Tender Mercies. I Also really enjoyed Second Hand Lions.

  2. #192
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,205
    Thanks
    30662

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I don't even remember his role. Guess I'll have to watch it again soon...
    He plays the role of the slick dealer/poker player in the saloon, kind of a slimy character....Hollywood is right, you think he is one of the good guys, too, at first.
    Thanks from Hollywood and Ian Jeffrey

  3. #193
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,205
    Thanks
    30662

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    One of Duval'sl best performances, IMHO of course, was in a movie called Tender Mercies. I Also really enjoyed Second Hand Lions.
    Never seen either of those. He has played Nazi officers in some WWII movies that I've seen.

  4. #194
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70,514
    Thanks
    34401

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Never seen either of those. He has played Nazi officers in some WWII movies that I've seen.
    Both are worth watching. He was also the bad guy that had the shoot-out with John Wayne in True Grit. Remember, "bold talk from a one-eyed fat man?'

  5. #195
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,205
    Thanks
    30662

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Well, all I can say is that I'd rather be a stinking rich mediocre actor living in a mansion on the pacific in LaJolla that a BRILLIANT, but unknown and unrecognized actor that has to be the night short order cook at a Waffle House in order to make ends meet.
    But, maybe that's just me.
    You know, this world is full of BRILLIANT musicians who never hit the big time, simply because the public really has pretty lousy taste when it comes to music, and I think this is more true today than it was in, say, the 1950s or 1960s. Let me take one example: George Benson. In the 1960's, George Benson was a simply FABULOUS jazz guitarist, one of the best ever, putting out a series of recordings that were loved by the jazz cognoscenti. But he certainly wasn't getting rich, because those albums were poor sellers. So what did he do? He sold out, and went 'pop'. He started SINGING----he's not a particularly great singer----and he started making more radio-friendly pop recordings, and suddenly he hit it BIG. He IS rich today. But he wouldn't have been, if he had simply stuck to his craft of making superlative jazz guitar recordings for the relatively small handful of people who loved and appreciated what he was doing when he started out in his career.

    There are other people, true ARTISTS, who NEVER 'sell out', and who never 'make it big', and therefore never become rich. They are well known, but only among the 'cognoscenti'. Shrug. Joe Pass and Lenny Breau are two examples of jazz guitarists, true virtuosos, who never became rich, because they never 'sold out', and never tried to make 'popular recordings'. But, boy oh boy, were they ever brilliant.

  6. #196
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70,514
    Thanks
    34401

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    You know, this world is full of BRILLIANT musicians who never hit the big time, simply because the public really has pretty lousy taste when it comes to music, and I think this is more true today than it was in, say, the 1950s or 1960s. Let me take one example: George Benson. In the 1960's, George Benson was a simply FABULOUS jazz guitarist, one of the best ever, putting out a series of recordings that were loved by the jazz cognoscenti. But he certainly wasn't getting rich, because those albums were poor sellers. So what did he do? He sold out, and went 'pop'. He started SINGING----he's not a particularly great singer----and he started making more radio-friendly pop recordings, and suddenly he hit it BIG. He IS rich today. But he wouldn't have been, if he had simply stuck to his craft of making superlative jazz guitar recordings for the relatively small handful of people who loved and appreciated what he was doing when he started out in his career.

    There are other people, true ARTISTS, who NEVER 'sell out', and who never 'make it big', and therefore never become rich. They are well known, but only among the 'cognoscenti'. Shrug. Joe Pass and Lenny Breau are two examples of jazz guitarists, true virtuosos, who never became rich, because they never 'sold out', and never tried to make 'popular recordings'. But, boy oh boy, were they ever brilliant.
    What you do is make the recordings, choose the performances, paint the paintings, etc. etc. that you want to for art's sake.
    Then you spend time on the stuff that will pay the bills.

    Example: Roy Clark is one of the finest Maleguena guitarists in the world, but he paid the bills a' grinnin' and a' pickin' on Hee Haw.

  7. #197
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21,496
    Thanks
    8671

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Dances With Wolves was fantastic. I never made it all the way through Bull Durham ... was bored on my first try, never gave it another go.
    Try breathing through your eyelids and watch it again

  8. #198
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,026
    Thanks
    12276

    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRain View Post
    I thought I had seen this. In fact, I thought I'd seen every doc on VietNam available. But, I hadn't. This one is a ten part series. It says it was made in 2017. Anyway, watch it. It is VERY good. I thought I knew a lot about the war, but one thing I learned was how unstable and corrupt the South Vietnamese government was before and during the war. Again. Watch it. As with all Ken Burns films, they use available footage. They even have a section on fragging.
    I've watched a lot of this, man, what a messed up war, what an embarrassment to our country. But we didn't learn and continued atrocities on the world for profit

  9. #199
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,646
    Thanks
    7012

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    Try breathing through your eyelids and watch it again
    ...and wearing garters...

    Or garter belts, something like that.

    Either way, that movie is worth a watch.

  10. #200
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,205
    Thanks
    30662

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    What you do is make the recordings, choose the performances, paint the paintings, etc. etc. that you want to for art's sake.
    Then you spend time on the stuff that will pay the bills.

    Example: Roy Clark is one of the finest Maleguena guitarists in the world, but he paid the bills a' grinnin' and a' pickin' on Hee Haw.
    Ah, but see, that's the thing: Roy Clark will be forever KNOWN as the pickin' and a-grinnin' buck-toothed idiot on Hee-Haw. That is now his REPUTATION. Only a tiny tiny few will know about his skills as a Maleguena guitarist.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th May 2017, 03:15 PM
  2. Ken Burns' WAR Documentary.
    By Dr.Knuckles in forum World Politics
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 18th February 2008, 04:25 PM
  3. Ken Burns' WAR Documentary.
    By Dr.Knuckles in forum World Politics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st October 2007, 03:49 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed