Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 284
Thanks Tree101Thanks

Thread: Another military WWII history thread

  1. #31
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,264
    Thanks
    38381

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu, sunk at Midway, the other two, I am not sure, they only had two more fleet carriers, Shokaku and her sister ship, but they did have several smaller carriers and I am not sure if a couple of them were at Pearl or not, it has been too many years since I studied that battle.

  2. #32
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29,335
    Thanks
    3648

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu, sunk at Midway, the other two, I am not sure, they only had two more fleet carriers, Shokaku and her sister ship, but they did have several smaller carriers and I am not sure if a couple of them were at Pearl or not, it has been too many years since I studied that battle.
    Yamamoto

  3. #33
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    65,069
    Thanks
    30474

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    Yamamoto
    Pretty darn sure that the Yamamoto was a huge Battleship and not an aircraft carrier.
    Thanks from Devil505

  4. #34
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22,210
    Thanks
    12148

    From
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Pretty darn sure that the Yamamoto was a huge Battleship and not an aircraft carrier.
    lol Pretty darn sure that Yamamoto is a person. I think you guys are thinking of Yamato.
    Thanks from Devil505 and kmiller1610

  5. #35
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22,210
    Thanks
    12148

    From
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Well, those are not Americans sitting on those turrets, so it must be Japanese.

    I think. Lol
    thats actually a good clue.. those are probably Filipinos (the japanese did take Fort Drum after heavy bombardment but in that picture it still looks intact).
    Last edited by Tedminator; 8th July 2014 at 02:52 PM.

  6. #36
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22,210
    Thanks
    12148

    From
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius2 View Post
    Well, specifically I don't know what it is, from the picture it looks like a platform, not a ship, and the other clue, ie. that it took part in one of the earlier battles with the Japanese, I have to venture the guess that it's a fort/floating pillbox in Manilla Bay.....
    Correct! Its name is Fort Drum or as the crew stationed there took to calling it, the USS Drum.


    Fort Drum (El Fraile Island), also known as the “concrete battleship,” is a heavily fortified island fortress situated at the mouth of Manila Bay in the Philippines, due south of Corregidor Island. Built by the United States, it was occupied by the Japanese in World War II, and was recaptured by the U.S. after igniting oil and gasoline in the fort, leaving it permanently out of commission.
    Fort Drum (El Fraile Island) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    El Fraile Island now..



    Thanks from kmiller1610

  7. #37
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    59,840
    Thanks
    17656

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    Yamamoto
    It was the Yamato that you're thinking of but it was BB, not an aircraft carrier. (Yamato & her sister ship..Musashi ...had the biggest guns ever mounted on a ship....18")

    Yamamoto was the admiral.


    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu, sunk at Midway, the other two, I am not sure, they only had two more fleet carriers, Shokaku and her sister ship, but they did have several smaller carriers and I am not sure if a couple of them were at Pearl or not, it has been too many years since I studied that battle.
    The last 2 carriers were Zuikaku & Shokaku
    Last edited by Devil505; 8th July 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Thanks from kmiller1610

  8. #38
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22,210
    Thanks
    12148

    From
    South Florida
    great lecture about the defense of the PI given at the United States Naval Academy. Lotsa neat info.. for instance the officers incharge of the intel section based in Corregidor were going to shoot his own men rather than let the japanese capture them.




    *on a personal note; my greatgrandfather was part of the US presence in the PI during that era.. he survived being a POW during the japanese occupation of the philipine islands, I was also born there so I just eat up these historical bits about the pacific theater.
    Last edited by Tedminator; 9th July 2014 at 03:03 AM.
    Thanks from Devil505

  9. #39
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,264
    Thanks
    38381

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    It was the Yamato that you're thinking of but it was BB, not an aircraft carrier. (Yamato & her sister ship..Musashi ...had the biggest guns ever mounted on a ship....18")

    Yamamoto was the admiral.

    The last 2 carriers were Zuikaku & Shokaku
    Yeah, their last two fleet carriers, those two were in the Indian Ocean during the Battle of Midway.
    Thanks from Devil505

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,217
    Thanks
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    Correct! Its name is Fort Drum or as the crew stationed there took to calling it, the USS Drum.



    Fort Drum (El Fraile Island), also known as the “concrete battleship,” is a heavily fortified island fortress situated at the mouth of Manila Bay in the Philippines, due south of Corregidor Island. Built by the United States, it was occupied by the Japanese in World War II, and was recaptured by the U.S. after igniting oil and gasoline in the fort, leaving it permanently out of commission.

    Fort Drum (El Fraile Island) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    El Fraile Island now..



    Your last clue clued me in. Without any clues, my guess would've been some kind of English coastal fortification defending the Thames or possibly a different port, or maybe even one of the Channel Islands. I guessed Phillipines because I felt that if it were in Hawaii I would just flat out have known what it was.....good one though.
    Thanks from Tedminator and kmiller1610

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th August 2013, 06:55 PM
  2. Famous Military Experts Thread
    By Divine Wind in forum Warfare
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16th August 2010, 06:34 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st April 2010, 12:19 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10th September 2008, 06:21 AM
  5. Wwii
    By Sparta in forum World Politics
    Replies: 234
    Last Post: 8th November 2006, 01:20 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed