View Poll Results: Was the American Revolution a Mistake?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    11 91.67%
  • Not sure/don't know

    1 8.33%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56
Thanks Tree56Thanks

Thread: 3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake

  1. #1
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40,581
    Thanks
    35383

    From
    Inky's Playhouse

    3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake

    3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake - Vox

    There have likely always been articles such as this one, but I've never seen one before so I found the concept intriguing. And if you know of any alt history novels that address this concept, please let me know.

    This July 4, let's not mince words: American independence in 1776 was a monumental mistake. We should be mourning the fact that we left the United Kingdom, not cheering it.

    Of course, evaluating the wisdom of the American Revolution means dealing with counterfactuals. As any historian would tell you, this is a messy business. We obviously can't be entirely sure how America would have fared if it had stayed in the British Empire longer, perhaps gaining independence a century or so later, along with Canada.

    But I'm reasonably confident a world in which the revolution never happened would be better than the one we live in now, for three main reasons: Slavery would've been abolished earlier, American Indians would've faced rampant persecution but not the outright ethnic cleansing Andrew Jackson and other American leaders perpetrated, and America would have a parliamentary system of government that makes policymaking easier and lessens the risk of democratic collapse.

    Abolition would have come faster without independence

    Independence was bad for Native Americans

    America would have a better system of government if we'd stuck with Britain





    Poll to follow.

  2. #2
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23,329
    Thanks
    19730

    From
    Colorado
    Slavery would have ended much sooner, were it not for Eli Whitney's invention of the cotton gin.

    One can at least imagine an America where a vile man like Andrew Jackson never rose to power.

    Unlike America, Britain actually has no constitutional guarantees of freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and so forth; because Britain does not have a written Constitution.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Canada - Geography game Champion, Geography Champion mtm1963's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29,441
    Thanks
    5257

    From
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake - Vox

    There have likely always been articles such as this one, but I've never seen one before so I found the concept intriguing. And if you know of any alt history novels that address this concept, please let me know.

    This July 4, let's not mince words: American independence in 1776 was a monumental mistake. We should be mourning the fact that we left the United Kingdom, not cheering it.

    Of course, evaluating the wisdom of the American Revolution means dealing with counterfactuals. As any historian would tell you, this is a messy business. We obviously can't be entirely sure how America would have fared if it had stayed in the British Empire longer, perhaps gaining independence a century or so later, along with Canada.

    But I'm reasonably confident a world in which the revolution never happened would be better than the one we live in now, for three main reasons: Slavery would've been abolished earlier, American Indians would've faced rampant persecution but not the outright ethnic cleansing Andrew Jackson and other American leaders perpetrated, and America would have a parliamentary system of government that makes policymaking easier and lessens the risk of democratic collapse.

    Abolition would have come faster without independence

    Independence was bad for Native Americans

    America would have a better system of government if we'd stuck with Britain





    Poll to follow.
    ok, i guess if there was no united states there would have been no killing of 6 million plus jews by the nazi's or maybe it would have all the jews in europe!

    what stupidity!!

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    62,900
    Thanks
    29008

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    ok, i guess if there was no united states there would have been no killing of 6 million plus jews by the nazi's or maybe it would have all the jews in europe!

    what stupidity!!
    WTF? Could you clarify and expand on that premise just a bit?
    Thanks from BDBoop

  5. #5
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    29,430
    Thanks
    27539

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    WTF? Could you clarify and expand on that premise just a bit?

    I doubt it.
    Thanks from BDBoop and BitterPill

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Canada - Geography game Champion, Geography Champion mtm1963's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29,441
    Thanks
    5257

    From
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    WTF? Could you clarify and expand on that premise just a bit?
    Abolition would have come faster without independence

    Independence was bad for Native Americans

    America would have a better system of government if we'd stuck with Britain

    ......................................

    stupidity!

    first, no way of knowing whether any of those three could be true. a lefties dream in speculation. typical lefty speak!

    second, change the existence of the US and you change the rest of world at the same.

  7. #7
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40,581
    Thanks
    35383

    From
    Inky's Playhouse
    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    Abolition would have come faster without independence

    Independence was bad for Native Americans

    America would have a better system of government if we'd stuck with Britain

    ......................................

    stupidity!

    first, no way of knowing whether any of those three could be true. a lefties dream in speculation. typical lefty speak!

    second, change the existence of the US and you change the rest of world at the same.
    Is there something inherently distasteful that you find about about thinking? Because that's all this is. "Consider the possibilities." You're acting like the author penned an article about something that could actually happen.
    Thanks from heirtothewind, BigLeRoy and Friday13

  8. #8
    New Member heirtothewind's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    732
    Thanks
    1011

    From
    Las Vegas NV
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Slavery would have ended much sooner, were it not for Eli Whitney's invention of the cotton gin.

    One can at least imagine an America where a vile man like Andrew Jackson never rose to power.

    Unlike America, Britain actually has no constitutional guarantees of freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and so forth; because Britain does not have a written Constitution.
    Good points, right to the point.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Canada - Geography game Champion, Geography Champion mtm1963's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29,441
    Thanks
    5257

    From
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Is there something inherently distasteful that you find about about thinking? Because that's all this is. "Consider the possibilities." You're acting like the author penned an article about something that could actually happen.
    this speculation isn't critical thinking. it is nothing more than a self motivated political speech. this person who wrote the op actually believes what he is saying is true. you missed the latter by calling it "thinking"! is thinking truth?

  10. #10
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40,581
    Thanks
    35383

    From
    Inky's Playhouse
    Quote Originally Posted by heirtothewind View Post
    Good points, right to the point.
    Thank you, breath-of-fresh-air.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3 reasons the American Revolution was a mistake
    By GoaTlOver in forum Current Events
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 7th July 2015, 03:50 AM
  2. Do they want a second American Revolution?
    By JWills23 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 1st June 2014, 11:54 AM
  3. American Revolution?
    By Singularity in forum Opinion Polls
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st November 2011, 03:24 AM
  4. second american revolution???
    By wingrider in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st March 2009, 06:25 AM
  5. The Second American Revolution
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st August 2008, 09:05 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed