‘It Just Went Poof’: The Strange Aftermath of Virginia’s Cascade of Political Scandals

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
In the space of a week in early February, the public was stunned by revelations about each of the three highest statewide elected officials, all Democrats: the racist photo in the governor’s yearbook; accusations of sexual assault against the lieutenant governor; and the attorney general’s appearance in blackface at a party in college. Protesters and news crews swarmed the Statehouse. Calls for resignations came from fellow Virginia Democrats, Republicans and even 2020 presidential candidates.
And then? “It just went poof,” said Natalie Draper, a librarian sitting in the back of a coffeehouse last week in Richmond. “It’s like it never happened.”
Virginians have various theories as to how this surreal normalcy set in.
‘It Just Went Poof’: The Strange Aftermath of Virginia’s Cascade of Political Scandals

It's almost as if the media figured out that the line of succession eventually landed on a Republican. So there you go Governor Blackface and Lt Gov Rapey. No hard feelings.

Nov 2013
NY
Happens all the time, on both sides of the aisle.. if there's no immediate aftermath when something breaks.. it most of the time just goes poof!

Steve King endorsing white nationalism ? poof, where did those calls for resignation go ?

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
You think I'm kidding about the line of succession?
Here's Rep. Beyer of Virginia. "We would move from a progressive, very strong attorney general to someone who's not just a Republican but someone who's on the arch-conservative end of it."

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Happens all the time, on both sides of the aisle.. if there's no immediate aftermath when something breaks.. it most of the time just goes poof!

Steve King endorsing white nationalism ? poof, where did those calls for resignation go ?
Don't you think it's a little weird that a major news outlet can't figure out what happened to the media response to a major scandal? It's a mystery! We'll just never know.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm very curious why there were no protesters dressed like the Handmaid's Tale at the Virginia capitol protesting Justin Fairfax. How come no one was pounding doors or harassing people in elevators over him?

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Already have been over this several times.

The actual voters did not want them gone

Right or wrong, that is how they feel

But it's great I guess that some people don't give two craps about the actual people who live in VA and how they feel.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Already have been over this several times.

The actual voters did not want them gone

Right or wrong, that is how they feel

But it's great I guess that some people don't give two craps about the actual people who live in VA and how they feel.
I'm sure there's no relation between the level of outrage among the voters and the lack of media coverage.

So why don't voters care about the credible allegations against Fairfax? Whereare the Handmaid's Tale costume wearing protesters?

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I'm sure there's no relation between the level of outrage among the voters and the lack of media coverage.

So why don't voters care about the credible allegations against Fairfax? Whereare the Handmaid's Tale costume wearing protesters?
I have no idea. Ask them.

What do you mean "lack" of media coverage

It was all over the news for at least 5 days