‘Muslims to make up 30% of Russia’s population by 2034’

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Ravil Gainutdin

Muslims will make up 30 percent of Russia’s population by 2034, the country’s grand mufti said Monday.

Speaking at a conference in Moscow, Sheikh Ravil Gainutdin said the number of Muslims in Russia has been growing with every passing day.

“According to the predictions of experts, 30 percent of Russia’s population will consist of Muslims after 15 years,” Gainutdin said.

He recalled that during last year’s Eid al-Adha religious festival, more than 320,000 Muslims came to mosques in Moscow to perform their prayers, saying this was a “record”.

Noting that the number of those performing prayers during the Islamic festivals have been increasing compared to previous years, Gainutdin said it was an indicator of the rising numbers of Muslims in the country.

He also said there was a need for dozens of new mosques in Russia’s big cities.

In an interview last year with Anadolu Agency, Gainutdin said the Muslim community in Russia was 25 million strong and continues to grow.

The reason for the increase is mainly due to two factors: the high birth rate among Muslim families and through the arrival of people from Central Asia, he added.

Most Muslims in the country live in Moscow and other major metropolitan areas such as St. Petersburg and Yekaterinburg, according to Gainutdin.
‘Muslims to make up 30% of Russia’s population by 2034’

The Turkish newspaper calls Gainutdin a "grand mufti", but that's not exactly the right title for him.

The fact is, there are basically three different leading figures who speak, including at the Kremlin, on behalf of Russia's various Muslims

You have, left to right, in green turban, Talgat Tajuddin, the head of the Central Spiritual Directorate of the Muslims of Russia and the so-called Supreme Mufti, a Tatar from Kazan, from Tatarstan, who, being a Tatar from Kazan, is seen to push the Volga Muslim (Tatar, Bashkir), most progressive and secular version of Islam in Russia; then, in the middle, you have aforementioned Ravil Gainutdin, also a Tatar by birth (Tatars make up most of the Muslim ruling elite over there, they are the most numerous Muslim ethnic group, also most integrated, assimilated, and law abiding; and, thus, also most trusted by the Kremlin), but, unlike Tajuddin, who reigns from Kazan, he stays in Moscow and leads his organization, the Council of the Muftis of Russia, in which he is indeed the so-called Grand Mufti, from there, and that also, by virtue of the specific demographic make up of Moscow's own Muslim community, means his group is more influenced the by the type of Islam that eminates from ex-Soviet Central Asia, millions of whose migrant laborers reside in the city; and, finally, in the traditional sheepskin papakha hat, Ismail Berdiev, from Dagestan, who leads the Coordination Council of the Muslims of Northern Caucasus, and, essentially, represents, of course, the Caucasian school of thought on the faith.

Berdiev caused a bit of an outrage back in 2016, when some human rights groups discovered that some rural villagers in his native Dagestan practice female genital mutilation, and he then basically defended it in the media:
Russian Muslim official defends female circumcision after researchers discover its practice in Dagestan — Meduza
Top Russian mufti who said FGM ‘reduces perversions’ tells RT his statement was ‘joke’ gone wrong

Anyway, the important fact here is, that Tajuddin and Gainutdin are, actually, rivals, they and their whole organizations, each positions himself as the main voice of authority for Russia's Muslims; and they are constantly competing for followers and influence among Russian Muslims; and also for Putin's own favor

This fractured leadership is one of the big problems for the Muslims over there, why they can never get shit done; the Kremlin doesn't give a shit, as long as the mosques are actually registered with the state and are under FSB supervision; but, as a common Muslim believer, you always have to remember if your imam pledges allegiance to Tajuddin or Gainutdin and which one of them to fucking praise around him haha

Anyway, all of this is nothing to be alarmed about.

Frankly, the Central Asians, who have, again, pushed most of the Muslim demographic change in Moscow and other big cities, are not exactly like bloody Syrians in Germany or something lol

These are Russian-speaking people, their men actually drink vodka in their clubs, just like Slav Russians

and their girls walk around in heels and short skirts

:D

They have own 'Asian Parties' in certain night clubs in Moscow; plenty of Slavic men go to those too, just to see the exotic Kazakh and Kyrgyz stripper girls

lmao

Tatars and Bashkirs on the Volga are similar, you won't find many hijabs, let alone burqas, over there.

Сouple local World Cup fans cheering for Russia in Kazan last year

Heck, here is a Tatar gal many here may be familiar with, Russia's most famous supermodel Irina Shayk (Shaykhislamova)

:D

Caucasus is much more conservative; in Checnya, for instance, it is pretty much mandated for women to wear the hijabs, they even have own hijab beauty pageant over there

haha

But then, they are also a very small ethnic group, numbering only about 1.4 million souls, among Russia's 146 million people. Caucasian Muslims number around 6 million altogether, about same number as the Tatars by themselves alone...

Chechnya in particular has a high birth rate, Kadyrov himself sets an example in that department lol

in fact, Chechnya officially has the highest birth rate in the country; followed by Buddhist, ethnic Mongol Tuva republic in Siberia

However, I see all of Caucasian birth rates decreasing in future too.

Even Chechnya has been changing, you know...

Women everywhere in Russia have been advancing themselves, in career fields and such; even in Chechnya you now have a Chechen woman pilot, Larina Yevmurzaeva, flying an airliner since 2014

and Chechen women working alongside men in the emergency services too

Progress is happening, EVERYWHERE, slower in some regions than others, but it is coming across the board.

So, nah, Russia is not gonna turn into Saudi Arabia any time soon, no worries haha

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
BTW, since I mentioned Central Asian girls lol

Check out the new singer Dono Nasyrova, who deputed recently over there, on a reality show seeking new members for the girl band 'Serebro' ('Silver', like modern Russian 'Spice Girls' haha)
Her family is from Uzbekistan originally, I believe, but she grew up mostly in Siberia, in Novosibiorsk, where they moved when she was a kid :)

Covering Rihanna at a school event back when she was 15
She is 20 now.

In the end, she didn't win a spot on 'Serebro', but won big anyway, Maksim Fadeev, the manager and producer of 'Serebro' and music mogul over there in general, decided he wants to develop her individually, as a solo artist

He likes Uzbek girls, Fadeev does, I ain't the only one who noticed lmao

He has collaborated much (and allegedly was in intimate relations) with the singer Nargiz too

Nargiz Zakirova - Wikipedia

:D I get it. I like beautiful exotic ladies too hehe

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Luckily Russia will annex more slavic lands by then.
lol There is that too...

I don't know. Too many alarmists over there. Just like the folks in your Europe that have shrieked for years about some Muslims demographic takeover that's coming any day now, supposedly... haha

Dec 2014
Finland
Well in some cities in France, UK, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, etc most of school children are already muslims and many of them quite conservative so in that sense "takeover" is happening. I dont think it is end of the world though.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Well in some cities in France, UK, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, etc most of school children are already muslims and many of them quite conservative so in that sense "takeover" is happening. I dont think it is end of the world though.
Well, look at the British immigration minister, I believe, who stripped that Brit ISIS girl of her citizenship recently and forbid her from returning from Syria; dude is himself of Pakistani background :)

May 2012
By the wall
I expect most nations will follow China's route on the Muslim problem.

And on a side note, how often do these people breed that they can invade every single nation on earth?

Seriously, don't they have like a life or something?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I expect most nations will follow China's route on the Muslim problem.

And on a side note, how often do these people breed that they can invade every single nation on earth?

Seriously, don't they have like a life or something?
As mentioned in OP, most Russian Muslims are not "invaders", majority of the Muslim minority ethnic groups are indigenous to their home republic, they are on their own land (which itself was, once upon a time, invaded, conquered, and annexed by the Russians lol)

Same for the Buddhists/Mongols in Siberia. Hell, Russia even has indigenous Koreans, natives of Sakhalin island, in the Far East :D

One consequence of building a huge empire: the more peoples you submit, the more diverse your population becomes ;)