’21 Empty Seats’: More Than One-Third of GOP Senators Reportedly Left Room During Schiff’s Speech

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
A large bloc of Republican Senators reportedly skipped large portions of Wednesday’s impeachment trial, flouting Senate rules requiring them to remain in their seats at all times during the proceedings, according to journalist Michael McAuliff.

“Just counted 21 empty seats on the GOP side of the Senate, 2 on the Dem side, a couple hours into [Adam] Schiff’s presentation. Some are just stretching their legs, but most are not in the chamber.

is it fair to criticize people for not being able to sit still for that long? I heard Schumer say that there was never more than 10 members missing at any given time. And there are no cameras in the chamber that shows what they're doing. So, what's true and what's not?

Last edited:

CtC

Mar 2019
California
A large bloc of Republican Senators reportedly skipped large portions of Wednesday’s impeachment trial, flouting Senate rules requiring them to remain in their seats at all times during the proceedings, according to journalist Michael McAuliff.

“Just counted 21 empty seats on the GOP side of the Senate, 2 on the Dem side, a couple hours into [Adam] Schiff’s presentation. Some are just stretching their legs, but most are not in the chamber.

is it fair to criticize people for not being able to sit still for that long? I heard Schumer say that there was never more than 10 members missing at any given time. And there are no any cameras in the chamber that shows what they're doing. So, what's true and what's not?
Schiff is not only a pathological liar ,but he is BORING. I think they should all sit there ,but turn their backs.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
It happened "a couple of hours into" Schiff's speech?

Sweet baby jeebus....how long was that guy talking at the podium?

It was not just him. It was all the House Managers. They were replaying all the previous testimony from witnesses and showing some documents, including the ones that "came to light" in the dark of night, about the OMB basically putting a "hold" on the military aid

I think the day after tomorrow, the "Trumps" team with get their time.

But yeah, so much for "impartial" jurors' right?

And maybe this is why they left?

Oct 2018
WonderfulOregon
We all know early in the republican rejection of a legal trial - the SCOTUS Judge Roberts lectured the group about rudeness...

Nice job repubs

I bet Roberts has more tricks up his sleeve than the republicans.

I can't imagine Roberts is not going to just stand by with a rigged fake trial. Roberts is one of the big dogs in our Judicial system and he has a great deal of pride and respect for that branch of our government. (Which we all should...unfortunately, the word 'respect' and the republican smug beligerent attitutes can't be ignored)

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
We all know early in the republican rejection of a legal trial - the SCOTUS Judge Roberts lectured the group about rudeness...

Nice job repubs

I can't imagine Roberts is not going to just stand by with a rigged fake trial. Roberts is one of the big dogs in our Judicial system and he has a great deal of pride and respect for that branch of our government. (Which we all should...unfortunately, the word 'respect' and the republican smug beligerent attitutes can't be ignored)
Well Justice Roberts did do this

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA

Nice job repubs

Yeah, this "headline" :)

Reactions: jorae