“Make the Gospel Great Again”

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Some Republican with money just being an asshole. I'm from the St. louis area and the city is stringly Democratic.
But St. Louis on the east side of the state and Kansas City on the west side are about the only two real cities in the state. The rest of the stste of rural and pretty conservative. That sign is typicaly something you would start seeing about an hours drive west, south or north of the city of St. louis.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
When I used to dismiss white religious conservatives as racist hypocrites who only pretended to care about stuff like Clinton's philandering, I was chastised by some well-meaning fellow liberals who thought it was unfair to simply assume the religious conservatives weren't sincere in their stated convictions. We know better now, though. Trump could hardly have been better-designed to reveal the hypocrisy of the religious right. He's a walking embodiment of the seven deadly sins. He is antithetical to nearly everything the religious conservatives pretended to care about. But he's leading them in a rage-fest against "Those People," and that's all that matters to them.

Jul 2014
midwest
When I used to dismiss white religious conservatives as racist hypocrites who only pretended to care about stuff like Clinton's philandering, I was chastised by some well-meaning fellow liberals who thought it was unfair to simply assume the religious conservatives weren't sincere in their stated convictions. We know better now, though. Trump could hardly have been better-designed to reveal the hypocrisy of the religious right. He's a walking embodiment of the seven deadly sins. He is antithetical to nearly everything the religious conservatives pretended to care about. But he's leading them in a rage-fest against "Those People," and that's all that matters to them.
Not a good idea to broad brush all people of any group.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Not a good idea to broad brush all people of any group.
To be fair, I fully admit that there may be a religious conservative out there, somewhere, who spent the 90s apoplectic about Clinton's philandering, and then ended up even more pissed off about Trump's far worse behavior on that front. I just haven't met such a person. Those religious types I know who foamed at the mouth about Clinton seem to have no issue with our current libertine-in-chief.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
It think all religions have their embarrassing fringe. This is a good example of embarrassment for Christians just like jihadist's are an embarrassment to Islam.

Jul 2014
midwest
To be fair, I fully admit that there may be a religious conservative out there, somewhere, who spent the 90s apoplectic about Clinton's philandering, and then ended up even more pissed off about Trump's far worse behavior on that front. I just haven't met such a person. Those religious types I know who foamed at the mouth about Clinton seem to have no issue with our current libertine-in-chief.
Just because you haven't met them, does not mean they are not out there.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Just because you haven't met them, does not mean they are not out there.
Yes, I just admitted the possibility. However, polls suggest they're a rare bunch, since practically everyone who voted Republican in 2012 did so again in 2016. You could hardly have imagined a candidate more tuned to turn off religious conservatives than Trump, if their convictions had ever been honest, but almost none of them broke from their party masters.