1 in 3 baby boomers say student loans still get in the way of retirement

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Are you a taxidermist? Very cool. I am a huge fly fisherman, trout mostly. Going up to Mammoth Lakes next week for our annual one fly tournament. Look up Tom Loe Sierra Drifters to see what I will be up to along with my buddies. No, we do not use Tom or guides, all of us are expert fly fisherman but Tom has great guides, wonderful fish reports and pictures to prove it.
My BIL used to go there with his drift boat. He drifted the American river for a living years ago too. Generally for steel head.

Sep 2012
California
My BIL used to go there with his drift boat. He drifted the American river for a living years ago too. Generally for steel head.
I know the American pretty well. He was guiding on the lower section below Folsom Dam. Nice steelies, salmon, stripers and even shad runs in that run. It's combat fishing though, the river runs right through the middle of Sac. The runs are not what they used to be unfortunately. There is a steelhead hatchery at the foot of the dam that keeps the steelie runs alive. I am a big CalTrout supporter.

Mammoth is on the other side of the Sierras, the Eastern Sierra.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Are you a taxidermist? Very cool. I am a huge fly fisherman, trout mostly. Going up to Mammoth Lakes next week for our annual one fly tournament. Look up Tom Loe Sierra Drifters to see what I will be up to along with my buddies. No, we do not use Tom or guides, all of us are expert fly fisherman but Tom has great guides, wonderful fish reports and pictures to prove it.
Fish taxidermist and aquaculturist. I love flyfishing and hope to do more in my area. We have steelhead runs in some rivers here that connect to the Great Lakes. Salmon too, but the kings don't do much for me, but we are getting more and more Atlantics on the Lake Huron side which do interest me.

Used to tag along with my dad when he fished a couple of mountain trout streams in Bavaria, Germany while stationed there in the military. Something about flying fishing a stream in the mountains is pure magic!

Last edited:
Jul 2013
On a happy trail
I know the American pretty well. He was guiding on the lower section below Folsom Dam. Nice steelies, salmon, stripers and even shad runs in that run. It's combat fishing though, the river runs right through the middle of Sac. The runs are not what they used to be unfortunately. There is a steelhead hatchery at the foot of the dam that keeps the steelie runs alive. I am a big CalTrout supporter.

Mammoth is on the other side of the Sierras, the Eastern Sierra.
He used to say how you could be just yards away from Sac and hardly knew it was there. But it was minutes from his house to a nice steelhead dinner. And he always had a waiting list of customers to guide.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Fish taxidermist and aquaculturist. I love flyfishing and hope to do more in my area. We have steelhead runs in some rivers here that connect to the Great Lakes. Salmon too, but the kings don't do much for me, but we are getting more and more Atlantics on the Lake Huron side which do interest me.

Used to tag along with my dad when he fished a couple of mountain trout streams in Bavaria, Germany while stationed there in the military. Something about flying fishing a stream in the mountains is pure magic!
We have these Mackinaws here in some of the lakes. I caught one on a jig and it was like hauling in a water logged piece of wood. We have Kokanee salmon in lakes and rivers here too. You have to be real careful reeling them in or you will tear the hook out of their mouths.

But my favorite trout is German Brown. In some of the old mining lakes in the Sierra they will live in the old pits that are hundreds of feet deeper than the rest of the lake and sometimes grow to around 10 pounds. There is also a species of light grey almost white blind brook trout that lives in an underground stream tunnel created by the old timers at a spot not too many know. You have to hike in with a canoe to get to the good spots but sometimes 5 pounders are caught.

Mar 2010
Indiana
We have these Mackinaws here in some of the lakes. I caught one on a jig and it was like hauling in a water logged piece of wood. We have Kokanee salmon in lakes and rivers here too. You have to be real careful reeling them in or you will tear the hook out of their mouths.

But my favorite trout is German Brown. In some of the old mining lakes in the Sierra they will live in the old pits that are hundreds of feet deeper than the rest of the lake and sometimes grow to around 10 pounds. There is also a species of light grey almost white blind brook trout that lives in an underground stream tunnel created by the old timers at a spot not too many know. You have to hike in with a canoe to get to the good spots but sometimes 5 pounders are caught.
Funny you call them Mackinaw, we call them Lake trout, and in Maine they call them Togue.

I love browns too. I've raised them to 12 pounds on the pond on my property. I've also raised brooks over 6 lbs.

Here's a 12 pound fish that was overfed (I didn't know better when I first started out). My neighbor is holding it as he got off his lawn mower and manned the landing net.

I do love those males in full spawning colors with the big hooked jaws. A very wary fish that I have found can be even difficult to catch in my private pond. When it's time to harvest all the trout by hook and line, there are always a few browns left when I drain the pond down. Never fails.

Jan 2014
California
No it started out at $200.00 a quarter for a full load which I believe was around fifteen units then progressed to $600 per semester when they changed to that system during my last year .
Ms. Panzareta,

I don't know how students in California can afford college these days.

At least in my home state of New Mexico, with the lottery scholarship, tuition is free for 8 semesters if you meet conditions.

Sep 2012
California
Ms. Panzareta,

I don't know how students in California can afford college these days.

At least in my home state of New Mexico, with the lottery scholarship, tuition is free for 8 semesters if you meet conditions.
If you go to state schools its not that bad. What kills you are living expenses. Rent is out of control here.