10 most expensive fighters

Jul 2018
North Carolina
The f-15e price really shocked me.
Something to think about also is how much these planes cost per hour / sortie to operate.

The F-22 cost roughly $68,000 per hour while the F-15 strike eagle cost about 32,000 per hour. The F-35 cost about 42,000 per hour. My favorite fighter the A-10 Warthog cost about 17,000, and is a bargain compared to these other planes LOL. Granted different planes = different missions.

Side note: I do like the F-15. I never had he pleasure to work on them, but I did watch them fly a lot when I was stationed up at Elmendorf AFB AK. They are fun to watch their take offs in full AB, but man ole man are they one loud SOB. LOL

Jan 2007
Something to think about also is how much these planes cost per hour / sortie to operate.

The F-22 cost roughly $68,000 per hour while the F-15 strike eagle cost about 32,000 per hour. The F-35 cost about 42,000 per hour. My favorite fighter the A-10 Warthog cost about 17,000, and is a bargain compared to these other planes LOL. Granted different planes = different missions.

Side note: I do like the F-15. I never had he pleasure to work on them, but I did watch them fly a lot when I was stationed up at Elmendorf AFB AK. They are fun to watch their take offs in full AB, but man ole man are they one loud SOB. LOL
I heard an air show announcer describe an F15 on take off "watch as you turn jet fuel into noise"

Jan 2007

Where is the cost at; maintenance man hours, jet fuel, etc? The cost per hour seems so insane. If maintenance on F22, F35 is that laborous why so? You would think newer designed aircraft would be less. F35 is a single engine.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I remember a figure of $7,000 an hour for an average fighter, most of that cost in fuel, for our simulator the cost was about $250 an hour, much of that cost in electricity.

We pulled 400 amps of 440 volt three-phase...

Our sim had not been turned off for nine years, lol.

Thx :)

Last edited:
Jul 2018
North Carolina
Where is the cost at; maintenance man hours, jet fuel, etc? The cost per hour seems so insane. If maintenance on F22, F35 is that laborous why so? You would think newer designed aircraft would be less. F35 is a single engine.
I agree the cost are insanely expensive for these planes to operate. From what I understand the direct CPFH (Cost per flying hour) per each F-22 aircraft is probably around $5k to $6k to operate per hour to operate the F-22. That would obviously be fuel / ground, maintenance, operator personnel. / weapons / consumables / parts (really expensive) / etc. I've heard that the R.A.M (Radar Absorbing Material) type paint is also highly expensive to keep up. I also am not really sure how many total man hours contribute to CPFH on F-22's.
For the rest of the total CPFH computation (And it would be more along the lines for an AF comptroller expert than me a AF mechanic) but , from what I understand it requires some math involving Total fleet cost / Total Flying Hours / Total Aircraft. I have read where the cost could be as low as $44k to $59k using 2015 / 2016 numbers. The CPFH can also vary widely from year to year from different factors.

I was a C-130 Maintenance guy, so it's my bread and butter. Also I affectionately call that beautiful aircraft the VW of the skies ;). We did some math one day to figure out how much it would cost for a C-130 H (slick) model to fly down to Kadena AB in Okinawa from Yokota AB Japan. It's roughly about 1300 miles or so. It cost about $30k to fly from Yokota to Kadena using all factors.

Last edited:
Jan 2007
I agree the cost are insanely expensive for these planes to operate. From what I understand the direct CPFH (Cost per flying hour) per each F-22 aircraft is probably around $5k to $6k to operate per hour to operate the F-22. That would obviously be fuel / ground, maintenance, operator personnel. / weapons / consumables / parts (really expensive) / etc. I've heard that the R.A.M (Radar Absorbing Material) type paint is also highly expensive to keep up. I also am not really sure how many total man hours contribute to CPFH on F-22's.
For the rest of the total CPFH computation (And it would be more along the lines for an AF comptroller expert than me a AF mechanic) but , from what I understand it requires some math involving Total fleet cost / Total Flying Hours / Total Aircraft. I have read where the cost could be as low as $44k to $59k using 2015 / 2016 numbers. The CPFH can also vary widely from year to year from different factors.

I was a C-130 Maintenance guy, so it's my bread and butter. Also I affectionately call that beautiful aircraft the VW of the skies ;). We did some math one day to figure out how much it would cost for a C-130 H (slick) model to fly down to Kadena AB in Okinawa from Yokota AB Japan. It's roughly about 1300 miles or so. It cost about $30k to fly from Yokota to Kadena using all factors.
Scared to ask what a B52 or a B1, B2 would cost . Just the fuel itself is insane, imagine if a tanker plane is needed.

War is expensive, we need to do something else. Should be banned due to Co2 emissions.

C130 still going after all these years. The new version of the C130 gunship is something else.