10 most expensive fighters

Jan 2007
From another site:

$152 million – F-22 Raptor
Rob Schenk

The U.S. Air Force maintains the F-22 Raptor costs only $143 million per unit, as of 2015. Even then, that price tag may be understated. Regardless, the F-22 Raptor air superiority fighter jet is the most expensive military jet on the planet. This stealthy fifth-generation fighter entered service in 2005 and projects to be around for three to four decades. Two Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 turbofan engines with afterburners and two-dimensional thrust vectoring nozzles give the F-22 unmatched maneuverability and a top speed of over 1,500mph with supercruise capability. It is the most expensive out of all the most expensive military jets in the world.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Scared to ask what a B52 or a B1, B2 would cost . Just the fuel itself is insane, imagine if a tanker plane is needed.

War is expensive, we need to do something else. Should be banned due to Co2 emissions.

C130 still going after all these years. The new version of the C130 gunship is something else.
Yea the Herc is a very versatile / robust aircraft to say the least. I worked C-130 E / H "slick" models. I was lucky IMO because where ever my aircraft went I went with her. It enabled me to travel to many, many, many countries. I am also a really big fan of the AC-130, she's one bad mamma jamma.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Some of the black boxes on the F-111 were insanely expensive... ($720,000 for the "Multiple Situation Display/ Integrated Avionics) you lose a couple of those and the average would spike. Many of the systems on these high tech birds need a lot of expensive calibration.

Even still, it is hard to imagine $50K per hour operating costs, even in today's dollars, even with super expensive aircraft.

That's a lot of money to have some kid take it out and "mow" New Mexico with it.

Thx :)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Someone in CRS once told me that the F-15 afterburner put gas in through a one inch diameter nozzle @ 15 P.S.I. just the same as your garden hose going full blast.

Jan 2007
Someone in CRS once told me that the F-15 afterburner put gas in through a one inch diameter nozzle @ 15 P.S.I. just the same as your garden hose going full blast.

Imagine how much fossil fuel was consumed in Desert Storm., Many thousands of sorties. The external fuel tanks on a B-52 look like midget submarines.

That f -15 after burner thingy was per engine?

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Imagine how much fossil fuel was consumed in Desert Storm., Many thousands of sorties. The external fuel tanks on a B-52 look like midget submarines.

Yes, and they have three large drop tanks... the whole aircraft is just bulky, F-4s look pretty puny next to them.

Every now and then I would venture over to some of the hangars and at least stand next to some nice birds... kind of gave me the willys though I will admit being around fuel tanks that size!

The scariest thing on the whole base though (discount nukes... they are set off on purpose) was the main LOX tank, liquid oxygen...

It did indeed send a chill down my spine every time I passed that bugger! :oops:

Jul 2018
North Carolina

I read that the AF completed >65,000 sorties for Desert Storm. That’s a lot of jet fuel no doubt.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
All the Russian ones are cheaper, for the simple reason that their labor is way cheaper too.

I was just reading about one military aircraft factory in Tver region, affiliated with MiG, I believe, they do both maintenance and repair work on the military's existing aircraft, and also make new ones when needed

Average salary there is 25,000 rubles (about $383) per month. That's actually below the average for that region, which is 28,000 rubles ($429)...

And it doesn't go much higher anywhere, really.

Even at the central MiG factory in Moscow

where they make shit like MiG-35

even a senior engineer can earn a maximum of 58,966 rubles per month or around $903.

A fully qualified welder there earns 42,358 rubles ($649). And the most basic, unskilled worker gets about 10,000 ($153)!

Sukhoi is similar too.

That's how they are able to price out the competition in international markets...

Jan 2007
All the Russian ones are cheaper, for the simple reason that their labor is way cheaper too.

I was just reading about one military aircraft factory in Tver region, affiliated with MiG, I believe, they do both maintenance and repair work on the military's existing aircraft, and also make new ones when needed

Average salary there is 25,000 rubles (about $383) per month. That's actually below the average for that region, which is 28,000 rubles ($429)...

And it doesn't go much higher anywhere, really.

Even at the central MiG factory in Moscow

where they make shit like MiG-35

even a senior engineer can earn a maximum of 58,966 rubles per month or around $903.

A fully qualified welder there earns 42,358 rubles ($649). And the most basic, unskilled worker gets about 10,000 ($153)!

Sukhoi is similar too.

That's how they are able to price out the competition in international markets...
That earnings figure, is that per week, month?