10 Years in Prison for 28 Years Enslavement

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Intellectually disabled John Christopher Smith, aged 40, had been enslaved from the age of 12 by Bobby Paul Edwards, 54. Smith is black. Edwards is white.

Smith was tortured, kept in a shed, forced to work upwards of 100 hours a week. Isolated from his family. Rescued by a customer at the restaurant Edwards' operated, who noticed the scars on Smith and called authorities.

The state of South Carolina charged Edwards with misdemeanor assault.

The NAACP stepped in and DOJ charged him with forced labor (slavery). He pled guilty and has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

This sentence is not enough. Edwards should get at least 28 years.

It's literally sickening. This small town -- for sure, this slaver's family -- must have known what was happening.

Are the people who watched this without stopping it monsters? The slaver certainly is.

Your thoughts?

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Intellectually disabled John Christopher Smith, aged 40, had been enslaved from the age of 12 by Bobby Paul Edwards, 54. Smith is black. Edwards is white.

Smith was tortured, kept in a shed, forced to work upwards of 100 hours a week. Isolated from his family. Rescued by a customer at the restaurant Edwards' operated, who noticed the scars on Smith and called authorities.

The NAACP stepped in and DOJ charged him with forced labor (slavery). He pled guilty and has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

It's literally sickening. This small town -- for sure, this slaver's family -- must have known what was happening.

Are the people who watched this without stopping it monsters? The slaver certainly is.

Your thoughts?
One year in prison for each year of slavery/abuse sounds about right.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I think any sentence is fair as long as the man enslaved is set free. I'm purely speculating, but if the man didn't plead guilty he would have probably got a lot more years in the sentence.

Reactions: boontito
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Should more people, ones who knew of this and profited from it, also be arrested?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I think any sentence is fair as long as the man enslaved is set free.
Disagreed. The man should be set free in any case, and the slaver should get a minimum of 28 years, preferably twice that. It was not mere enslavement; he stole the man's life from him.
I'm purely speculating, but if the man didn't plead guilty he would have probably got a lot more years in the sentence.
That is probably true.

Sep 2014
South FL
Disagreed. The man should be set free in any case, and the slaver should get a minimum of 28 years, preferably twice that. It was not mere enslavement; he stole the man's life from him.

That is probably true.
I'm reading the victim worked at J&J cafeteria in Conway, SC from 1990-2009 for the perpetrator's extended family. The felon took over in 2009. Bobby Paul Edwards stopped paying him, burned him, was verbally and physically abusive to the victim and made him work 100 hours per week.

Says he did that for 5 years and as a result Edward's 10 years and must pay him 500k and 272k in backpages.

I feel the damages component should be treble ($816k) and there should be compensation for the abuse separate from the pay.

Feds should also whack him for tax evasion.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America

Your thoughts?
South Carolina is the state that's going to reelect Lindsey Graham soooooo.......it figures.

Reactions: Madeline