16 Asia-Pacific countries to form trading block

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
16 Asian countries could form the world's largest trading bloc

Ministers representing 16 Asian-Pacific countries — including China, India, Australia and Japan — that make up a third of the global economy and half of the world's population met in Tokyo Sunday to discuss forming the world's largest trading bloc, reports Bloomberg.

Why it matters: These discussions come as President Trump is alienating allies and adversaries alike with tariffs and threats of an all-out global trade war. Trump's moves has also fostered an unlikely friendship between Asian giants China and Japan as the two hedge against uncertain U.S. foreign policy.

"The path toward a year-end agreement is now clearer ... As protectionism concerns increase globally, it’s important that the Asian region flies the flag of free trade."
— Hiroshige Seko, Japan’s trade minister
The details: Bloomberg reports that the countries' leaders were hopeful that a deal could be signed by the end of the year. The full list of nations — called the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership — includes Australia, China, India, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand. Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
This too reduces the impact of tariffs. Most countries and leaders realize that free trade or close to it is win-win.

A select few, however, don't.

This brief is from Axios: https://www.axios.com/asian-trading...pan-000325a4-302f-46e3-931e-3072bcbbdd40.html

The source is: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rading-bloc-a-step-closer-after-tokyo-meeting

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I’m not too happy that the USA is no longer looked to as the leader of the free world. The USA pretty much ceded the western pacific to a non democratic China when trump pulled out of the TPP.

I thought for sure the USA would put up an economic fight against China that would go on for decades. For China to win the western Pacific so suddenly is gonna take some getting used to.. I wasn’t expecting the decline of the US empire to come about so soon and suddenly.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
I’m not too happy that the USA is no longer looked to as the leader of the free world. The USA pretty much ceded the western pacific to a non democratic China when trump pulled out of the TPP.

I thought for sure the USA would put up an economic fight against China that would go on for decades. For China to win the western Pacific so suddenly is gonna take some getting used to.. I wasn’t expecting the decline of the US empire to come about so soon and suddenly.
We only declined a little, then Trump forfeited the game...

Dec 2015
SoCal

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Fuck.

We lost our chance. Now we'll have to beg China to be admitted rather than China having to beg us.
yeah I don't see trump's trade war with china ending anytime soon. and then theres Britain walking away from the EU confederation... strange days indeed.

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
This is the natural effect of Trump's isolationism. While the rest of the world is expanding trade and international cooperation, the U.S. is not so much being left out as pulled out. The smaller the world gets, the more free trade is necessary.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
This too reduces the impact of tariffs. Most countries and leaders realize that free trade or close to it is win-win.

A select few, however, don't.

This brief is from Axios: https://www.axios.com/asian-trading...pan-000325a4-302f-46e3-931e-3072bcbbdd40.html

The source is: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rading-bloc-a-step-closer-after-tokyo-meeting
Excellent news! It's wonderful that these countries are getting smart and claiming their own power.

Plus, any alliance between Australia and China or Japan and China is a reason to celebrate. The odds of war, including nuclear war, have been significantly reduced.

Bravo!

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

TPP was anti-human. It would have created the kind of globalization that reduced American workers to the standards of living of Chinese workers.

Not by itself, obviously, but it was a massive move in that direction.

This Asian Alliance will offer the prospects of prosperity to signatory nations' workers.

Not hard to choose between them, if you have a rudimentary sense of morality.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Fuck.

We lost our chance. Now we'll have to beg China to be admitted rather than China having to beg us.
Yes, and we will pay much more for Chinese made goods. But Chinese workers will have a shot at a middle class life.

And the American middle class will be MUCH more secure as a result.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
TPP was anti-human. It would have created the kind of globalization that reduced American workers to the standards of living of Chinese workers.

Not by itself, obviously, but it was a massive move in that direction.

This Asian Alliance will offer the prospects of prosperity to signatory nations' workers.

Not hard to choose between them, if you have a rudimentary sense of morality.
What is the difference between them that makes the one good and the other bad?

I saw them the opposite way because the TPP (which is still happening, by the way, just without the US) specifically excluded China. Whereas this Asian alliance includes China, and was driven by China.

Genuine question. I don’t know the details. What’s the difference between the anti-human one without China and the good one with China?

Last edited: