2 very telling OP-EDS on "Slut-gate" (Rush Limbaugh)

Jun 2011
N/A
I should note, both of these OP-EDs are from writers who write in a generally very CONSERVATIVE vein. I find their words worth thinking about.

Rush Limbaugh should apologize to Sandra Fluke - The Washington Post

"Who’d have thought that Rush Limbaugh would become the great uniter in this divisive political season?

Indeed, he has united decent people of all stripes and persuasions with his vile remarks about a Georgetown University law student...

...You may be excused for being confused and/or bored by all this talk of contraceptives. Having access to contraception hasn’t been controversial except in the Catholic Church for some time and wouldn’t be now if not for the new mandate that nearly every employer offer insurance to pay for it.

The only question — ever — has been whether the federal government can force religious organizations to pay for something that violates their freedom of conscience. For the record, if I were dictator, I’d put contraceptives in the drinking water on college campuses. But the Catholic Church and other religious entities do not share my view, and our laws have always tried to allow generous exceptions to rules that conflict with moral principle...

...These are clearly compelling questions on which Limbaugh might have focused his gargantuan energies. Instead, he attacked Fluke in the vilest terms. Moreover, by addressing her argument that college women need contraception and should be able to get it for free, he essentially lent credence to the opposition narrative that this is all about birth control.

Inadvertently, Limbaugh also helped advance the argument from the left that Republicans are waging a war against women. After referring to Fluke as a “slut” and a “prostitute,” he offered the following proposition:

“So, Miss Fluke, and the rest of you feminazis, here’s the deal. If we are going to pay for your contraceptives . . . we want something for it. We want you to post the videos online so we can all watch.”

The image suggested is equally degrading to Limbaugh, given his obvious familiarity with “watching,” and invites unflattering speculation....."

-------------------------------------

The GOP can no longer avoid its Rush Limbaugh problem - The Washington Post

"IN A DEMOCRACY, standards of civil discourse are as important as they are indefinable. Yet wherever one draws the line, Rush Limbaugh’s vile rants against Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke crossed it.

Mr. Limbaugh is angry at President Obama’s efforts to require the provision of contraception under employer-paid health insurance and the White House’s attempts to make some political hay out of the policy. His way of showing this anger was to smear Ms. Fluke, who approached Congress to support the plan, as a “slut” seeking a government subsidy for her promiscuity.

Like other “shock jocks,” Mr. Limbaugh has committed verbal excesses in the past. But in its wanton vulgarity and cruelty, this episode stands out. Mr. Limbaugh’s audience, and those in politics who seek his favor as a means of reaching that audience, need to take special note.

We are not calling for censorship. Nor are we suggesting that the ostensible policy issue here — mandatory provision of contraception under health insurance paid for by religious-based institutions such as Georgetown — is a simple one. Those who questioned President Obama’s initial decisions in this area — we among them — were not waging a “war on women,” as Democrats have alleged in strident fundraising appeals.

What we are saying is that Mr. Limbaugh has abused his unique position within the conservative media to smear and vilify a citizen engaged in the exercise of her First Amendment rights, and in the process he debased a national political discourse that needs no further debasing. This is not the way a decent citizen behaves, much less a citizen who wields significant de facto power in a major political party. While Republican leaders owe no apology for Mr. Limbaugh’s comments, they do have a responsibility to repudiate them — and him...

...under the influence of Mr. Limbaugh and his ilk, the Republicans risk coming before the voters in 2012, and after, with nothing but grievances. This is what former Florida governor Jeb Bush was trying to tell his fellow Republicans when he observed, apropos of a recent discourse in the GOP primary: “It’s a little troubling sometimes when people are appealing to people’s fears and emotion rather than trying to get them to look over the horizon for a broader perspective, and that’s kind of where we are.”

For the good of U.S. political culture — or at least its own political self-interest — the GOP must distance itself from Mr. Limbaugh. In response to listener complaints and, apparently, the promptings of its own corporate conscience, Sleep Train Mattress Centers has quit advertising on Mr. Limbaugh’s show. Dare Republican leaders show less decency?..."

---------------------------------------------------------------

The real question is: will the GOP be smart enough to do this? I doubt it.

And I do believe that I am the first one here to coin the term "Slut-Gate"... :)

Reactions: Tedminator
Jan 2008
Vertiform City
Limbaugh doesn't care what the Washington Post thinks about him (are you kidding? that liberal rag? ;) )

Basically what happened is that Limbaugh was getting irrelevant and he didn't like it so he tried to do something controversial and it backfired.

Now he stepped in it, and his career will probably be over in short order, and all I can say is good riddance.

It's a sad reflection on American politics when people like Limbaugh can actually make a living.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine

Agree. Was gonna say something snarky about him being in a tight race, but I think it would just be unwarranted snark to do so. I really think he believes what he said. He seems to have a family of strong women (wife and two daughters). I think he was genuinely offended, as most people were, and doesn't give a hoot about Rush's power in the GOP and conservative movement.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
I should note, both of these OP-EDs are from writers who write in a generally very CONSERVATIVE vein. I find their words worth thinking about....

Agree on Kathleen Parker being a conservative Op-Ed writer, but the second one isn't an op-ed, it's actually an Ed :p.
And I also agree they lean right of center.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Limbaugh doesn't care what the Washington Post thinks about him (are you kidding? that liberal rag? ;) )

Basically what happened is that Limbaugh was getting irrelevant and he didn't like it so he tried to do something controversial and it backfired.

Now he stepped in it, and his career will probably be over in short order, and all I can say is good riddance.

It's a sad reflection on American politics when people like Limbaugh can actually make a living.

I hope you're right, non. It'll depend on the sponsors of his show, in the end.

anonymous

Former Staff
Jun 2008
Passing Through
What he said is deplorable. I can not see anyone with a good conscience supporting him.

[video=youtube;if-UzXIQ5vw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw&ob=av2e[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: Inkslinger
Jan 2011
Boise, Idaho

Suddenly the left has a conscience? With all the vitriol and hatred I've read aimed at conservative women like Sarah Palin, Anne Coulter etc etc etc...

Typical...Deplorable doesn't begin to describe it. This is just another example of tthe left doing all they can to exploit a situation to their political benefit... and just another example of libbie double standards.

Dissent and disagreement are only noble if the left uses them? Stifling free speech is a reasonable response to comments the left doesn't like? Just more liberal hypocrisy.

Reactions: Mayor Snorkum

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
Rush Limbaughs remarks do not represent all conservatives. That is not the way to bring light to the debate regardless or which side you are on. If he did for "entertainment" fine, he suceeded. I agree there is a church issue as well as a womans issue, but to explode a grenade like this does his position no justice. imo

Yes I'am a slut. :)

Last edited:
Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Suddenly the left has a conscience? With all the vitriol and hatred I've read aimed at conservative women like Sarah Palin, Anne Coulter etc etc etc...

Typical...Deplorable doesn't begin to describe it. This is just another example of tthe left doing all they can to exploit a situation to their political benefit... and just another example of libbie double standards.
do provide an example of a radio or television personality calling palin or coulter names. Thank you.

Dissent and disagreement are only noble if the left uses them? Stifling free speech is a reasonable response to comments the left doesn't like? Just more liberal hypocrisy.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: highway234