2018 Hurricane Season

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I wouldn't take the alarmist view of common dreams seriously.
No I wouldnt want to be an alarmist but its always wise to pay attention and take note in case. FEMA is discussing this today. They are going to shut the plants down two hours prior.

"Florence's projected path includes half a dozen nuclear power plants, pits holding coal-ash and other industrial waste, and numerous hog farms that store animal waste in massive open-air lagoons. Duke Energy spokesman Ryan Mosier said operators would begin shutting down nuclear plants at least two hours before hurricane-force winds arrive. "

Hurricane Florence Tracker: Carolinas remain in path of Category 4 storm

Jul 2011
Tennessee
No I wouldnt want to be an alarmist but its always wise to pay attention and take note in case. FEMA is discussing this today. They are going to shut the plants down two hours prior.

"Florence's projected path includes half a dozen nuclear power plants, pits holding coal-ash and other industrial waste, and numerous hog farms that store animal waste in massive open-air lagoons. Duke Energy spokesman Ryan Mosier said operators would begin shutting down nuclear plants at least two hours before hurricane-force winds arrive. "

Hurricane Florence Tracker: Carolinas remain in path of Category 4 storm
This is probably standard protocol for FEMA to do so.

These wouldn't be the first nuclear plants in the path of a hurricane.

Nov 2006
Yikes! We're about 20 miles from Calvert Cliffs Nuclear power plant that sits right on the Chesapeake Bay. I hadn't even thought about it flooding. Thanks. :oops: But those in the Carolinas and Southern VA sound like they're in much more danger.
That's way too close. If it melts down you'll be glowing in no time. But what the hell, nobody lives forever. I can say you will be missed around here though. :)