22 horses died at Santa Anita racetrack since Dec of last year

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Investigators with a prosecutor's office have been assigned to help look into 22 recent horse deaths at Santa Anita Park, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Friday.

*snip*

The most recent horse death happened Thursday, when a local news station, KTTV-TV, captured video of a 3-year-old named Princess Lili B breaking down just past the finish line after a half-mile workout. That marked the 22nd death at the track since the winter meet began Dec. 26.
That's a lot of horses to die in such a short period of time. I used to like to watch horse racing, but like football, I'm beginning to see it's got it's dark side, for the horses and jockeys as well.

Is it time to end this "sport", or just better monitor how the horses are treated?

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
That's a lot of horses to die in such a short period of time. I used to like to watch horse racing, but like football, I'm beginning to see it's got it's dark side, for the horses and jockeys as well.

Is it time to end this "sport", or just better monitor how the horses are treated?
I love to go to the track. One of my favorite summer activities and is really the only gambling I can actually win a little money. :) I don't think banning it would be a good thing but we definitely need to monitor and regulate the treatment of the horses. They are so skinny IMO, especially when I compare them to the horses my Dad boards. I am surprised this is happening. Those horses are worth a lot of money. My cousin and her husband breeds/trains racketing horses and they keep their horses pretty skinny as well. They have gotten 50K for one racketing horse.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I love to go to the track. One of my favorite summer activities and is really the only gambling I can actually win a little money. :) I don't think banning it would be a good thing but we definitely need to monitor and regulate the treatment of the horses. They are so skinny IMO, especially when I compare them to the horses my Dad boards. I am surprised this is happening. Those horses are worth a lot of money. My cousin and her husband breeds/trains racketing horses and they keep their horses pretty skinny as well. They have gotten 50K for one racketing horse.
What is "racketing?"

Jul 2015
Florida

I saw that and don't know the stats but sure seemed like a whole bunch death of beautiful horseflesh in a short time. ODD? Santa Anita is CA. I hope the professionals are looking at this closely.

PS You think the JOCKEYs got a bad deal for a bunch of rich white guys with a 'hobby', you should read about what all the stable (BLACK) 'help' endured for decades.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the turf conditions. At least that is what our local news has been reporting.

It's set to re-open next week.

But yeah, so sad to read to about so many dead horses :(