25 years ago, Moscow burned...

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I need a very question. If we speak for less than...30 seconds....how much will the NSA know?

Yes, I know tv is not real. But still...

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
That's probably a part of it lol

Easily half of the assaults, stabbings, shootings, etc, over there do seem to occur because someone called someone else names in front of that one's girlfriend or wife; and he couldn't just take that, with his lady watching :D
In my case, that is he'll. As a fellow orphan, I am sure you appreciate I am careful to avoid this.

So....let's do the voodoo that I do so well, from your house, trough...

.....and have it end up in Moscow. At an official-jessie address.

I want to say STFU so Palin will hear me.

This is a fun fantasy, isn't it.

My party planning skills are not appreciated. Because I am a girl.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Or...I am binging on women get revenge tv shows and with all the stress, I am crying so much so can't see to drive..and I'm hungry, but I can't face eating anything other than cream of mushroom soup...and I can't figure out how to get Amazon to deliver a can of soup for less than $75...

I have no idea if I'm coming or going.

Really.

*Warm Hugs*

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
On an entirely different note, it was exactly 61 years ago today that the Soviet Union launched the Space Age with Sputnik I, on October 4, 1957, giving America a high-voltage Sputnik Shock in the process.
F
Amusingly, much more recently, Sarah Palin claimed that Sputnik 'bankrupted the Soviet Union', even though the Soviet Union continued to plod on for another 35 years after Sputnik.
Paranoia. The gift that keeps on giving.

I have watched that Cuba Libre tv show thing on Netflix now 5 times. I cannot brain that we (us Americans) are not heroic and Castro was not the devil. Literally, the part that confuses me the most is the beginning. Which is approximately when humans left physical evidence for the archeologists.

I feel like my brain is stuttering.

They really fucked us up. For no reason. Can't we find a way to fuck them up?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I left the tv on YouTube and was using it to make white noise until....

Literally.....

This guy from Canada started to talk about how good intentions in politics are 99% likely to go wrong in some horrible way....

And one example is, Anerican women suffer from anxiety, depression and suicide at a significantly different rate after WWII and like an asshole I thinking, no shit, their husbands' fate on the battlefield when he says.....

The rate went up, which is notable because mostly politics don't blah blah blah....

^Pause^

I have whiplash.

I didn't have a broken neck but....

THE RATE WENT UP? AFTER WWII?

I wonder if anyone in Canada knows they are busy tormenting people he loves or cares deeply about "because he's a psychiatrist"?
Oxford Union. Peterson? I think.

Chinese guy does need to sound like He's from NYC a la 1970s to impress me. I care about what he had to say. He can speak in a UK accent For all I care, because he talked faster than a Puerto Rican woman I Pissed Off.

Can't figure out how to get subtitles.

I think this poor man deserves to know, at a minimum, the way that propaganda changed my already shitty life into a horror show.

Or not. I prefer not to ask for help without offering a bottle of wine.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Or.....fuck.

I am going to burn this cell phone.

And the tv. Every tv show I watch is giving me a new, fun fantasy.....

Nebbermind.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Video of the end scenes, when the WH surrendered
The audio of radio conversations is crazy to me... First, some (from what I am getting) high ranking police officer is yelling at the remaining WH defenders to give up or "we will kill all you bastards, we have more than enough bullets for all of you" and "You sons of bitches killed my best friend today, he gave 25 years of his life to law enforcement, and one of you animals shot him dead today, we will slaughter you all for this!" Then, an Orthodox priest comes on, a representative of the Church, who was then trying to mediate between the two sides, urging them to stop firing at the WH, as there are women and underage children inside, and already many dead in there... And Rutskoi, VP, in camo, with AK, speaking to reporters inside... Later, on the phone, calling on fellow Air Force pilots, his "comrades", to go in the air and attack Yeltsin's troops (the Air Force did not listen to him... fortunately, I suppose...) At the end, Rutskoi and Hasbulatov are under guard of Alfa, under arrest.

Traitors to some, heroes to others

I read a disturbing interview, just now: «Жалею, не пнигда». Ше Ель о е Белого дома

Alexander Korzhakov, at the time - Yeltsin's head of security
He led the storming of the WH, and the arrest of Hasbulatov and Rutskoi.

He claims, in the interview, that Yeltsin told him to kill both of them "quietly" in there, if he could, but he was unable to do so, as "they hid behind other parliamentarians, like the cowards they always were".

He now regrets that he didn't do so. When told that many think the attempt at democracy in Russia ended then, in '93, with this bloodbath, he scoffs that, had those guys, Rutskoi and Hasbulatov, won, that would not have brought democracy, but much worse than where she is today. Rutskoi, he says, would have ceded a lot of power to Hasbulatov. "Do you want a fucking Chechen to have so much influence in Russia?! Are you mad?"

The usual argument, in other words. That's literally the only reason many didn't support the coup back then, because Hasbulatov is a Muslim from Chechnya... And I have read and heard plenty today who didn't back then now say they would have anyway...

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Sergei Filatov, the president's chief of staff in October 2003, reflected on the crisis in a 2013 interviewwith RFE/RL's Russian Service:

"Most important, of course, is in that fight with the opposition all contact was lost between the president and the parliament. Confidence between each other was completely lost. And most importantly, there was strong interference in the efforts to carry out economic reforms.

"It wasn't just Yeltsin who had the sickness. We all had that Soviet, imperial mentality, where strength will always better solve the problem as opposed to negotiations and compromise. It was a sickness of Yeltsin, it was a sickness of [former Soviet leader Mikhail] Gorbachev -- it was a sickness we all had. It wasn't an accident that we always supported the forceful option in solving this or that issue, which means that we didn't grow up to the level of ability to solve issues by peaceful means.

"We survived that time and we should have learned something from it, but unfortunately, we didn't learn anything. For the last 20 years, we've acted with the same methods -- without agreement, attention, or understanding of public opinion and all actions are used by the authorities, which constitutionally can use their power to preserve a normal state for society. But it's not always good. If we're headed to a democratic society, we need to change our methods of managing the country and the methods of interaction with elements of power."
One could change the words slightly and these statements would describe America IMO.
It seems America & Russia can't seem to learn from their past for some silly reason, and it makes me think of an aphorism.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana,

Jul 2011
Toronto
One could change the words slightly and these statements would describe America IMO.
It seems America & Russia can't seem to learn from their past for some silly reason, and it makes me think of an aphorism.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana,
Both have the "exceptionalism" mentality. Putin also always says that Russia "follows her own unique path" and always has, through her whole history.

The result is that they refuse to learn from those who have been doing things better and whose societies are also better off as a result. They scoff at Europe, and look down upon more successful nearby ex-Soviet republics, like Latvia, Lithuania, or Estonia...

So, nothing will ever improve there...

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Both have the "exceptionalism" mentality. Putin also always says that Russia "follows her own unique path" and always has, through her whole history.

The result is that they refuse to learn from those who have been doing things better and whose societies are also better off as a result. They scoff at Europe, and look down upon more successful nearby ex-Soviet republics, like Latvia, Lithuania, or Estonia...

So, nothing will ever improve there...
Fo Sho, Very well said, and I agree with ya. Here in the US it seems like it’s weakness to say some countries are doing something better than we are. Kinda like admitting somebody may be smarter / know more than oneself.