25 years ago, Moscow burned...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Fo Sho, Very well said, and I agree with ya. Here in the US it seems like it’s weakness to say some countries are doing something better than we are. Kinda like admitting somebody may be smarter / know more than oneself.
You can actually visibly see the differences over there...

Here, right on the border, across a narrow river, two ancient fortress towns

Estonian (formerly Swedish) Narva at left; Russian Ivangorod at right.

On their side, Estonians are resting on a clean, nicely furnished promenade

and on theirs, Russian youth can be seen sitting on bare rocks, chugging beer from bottles

And you bet your ass they think they are far superior to those fucking Estonian scum too!

Fun fact: the European Union, years ago, tried to preserve the heritage of both of these places, they gave large historic grants, millions of Euros, to both Narva and Ivangorod, even though Russia ain't a member of EU (but, at least, relations were a bit better in those days lol)

The Estonians, again, put the money to good use, spruced up their place some more as you see there.

While on the Russian side, corrupt local officials stuff the money in their pockets, laughed at the stupid Europeans who gave them that money with no strings attached, and for regular locals, life went on as always, with busted up old pavement, if any

trash everywhere

and few actually working street lights...

Meanwhile, on Estonian side

Just painful to see that... Like South and North Korea border...

Jul 2018
North Carolina
You can actually visibly see the differences over there...

Here, right on the border, across a narrow river, two ancient fortress towns

Estonian (formerly Swedish) Narva at left; Russian Ivangorod at right.

On their side, Estonians are resting on a clean, nicely furnished promenade

and on theirs, Russian youth can be seen sitting on bare rocks, chugging beer from bottles

And you bet your ass they think they are far superior to those fucking Estonian scum too!

Fun fact: the European Union, years ago, tried to preserve the heritage of both of these places, they gave large historic grants, millions of Euros, to both Narva and Ivangorod, even though Russia ain't a member of EU (but, at least, relations were a bit better in those days lol)

The Estonians, again, put the money to good use, spruced up their place some more as you see there.

While on the Russian side, corrupt local officials stuff the money in their pockets, laughed at the stupid Europeans who gave them that money with no strings attached, and for regular locals, life went on as always, with busted up old pavement, if any

trash everywhere

and few actually working street lights...

Meanwhile, on Estonian side

Just painful to see that... Like South and North Korea border...
Wow! A picture says a thousand words as the idiom goes. That’s unfortunate for the good people of Russia.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
One could change the words slightly and these statements would describe America IMO.
It seems America & Russia can't seem to learn from their past for some silly reason, and it makes me think of an aphorism.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana,
There is no incentive to calm fears. All the profit lies in fear mongering, war mongering, arms sales and making the citizens of both nations think any moment now, we are going to be nuked.

Which is also not new. Frankly, nothing rich, powermad people who do is , apart from the costumes the front men wear. Neither nation's wealthiest people give a fuck about any of us, but our corpses are like liquid gold to them.

The Russian people are not the enemy of the American people, and never were. Our real enemy is the American billionaire class and their pet politicians.

Last edited:
Jul 2018
North Carolina
There is no incentive to calm fears. All the profit lies in fear mongering, war mongering, arms sales and making the citizens of both nations think any moment now, we are going to be nuked.

Which is also not new. Frankly, nothing rich, powermad people who do is , apart from the costumes the front men wear. Neither nation's wealthiest people give a fuck about any of us, but our corpses are like liquid gold to them.

The Russian people are not the enemy of the American people, and never were. Our real enemy is the American billionaire class and their pet politicians.
Reminds me of my favorite song all time.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Impossible to choose an old-time favorite, but my whole life has been about teaching others how to get off their knees and fight back.

All my favorite tunes are about fighting back....or rolling around in the hay after the battle.

I'm not a *cuddlebug*, which has been hard on my kid. But we are who we are, amirite?