3000 ill, 53 dead from the measles in Samoa

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The number of cases reported on the Pacific island, which has a population of 200,000, rose to 3,149 yesterday, an increase of 213 in a 24-hour period.

Infants aged four or less have accounted for 38 of the deaths since the outbreak began last month and the government said that another 20 children were critically ill.

Kate O’Brien, director of the World Health Organisation’s immunisation programmes, said that “very low coverage of measles vaccine” had enabled the disease to spread rapidly. In 2018, only 31 per cent of children under five on Samoa were immunised.

The outbreak is believed to have started in New Zealand, with cases confirmed in other neighbouring countries including Australia, Tonga, and Fiji.

The Samoan government has cracked down on false information about vaccinations because this is believed to have compounded the spread of the disease. Authorities said two men were questioned after members of the public filed complaints that they were promoting alternative treatments through social media.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Hmm..

Research shows fewer Americans are identifying with organised religion, but in pockets of the country, a seeming explosion in new-found faith borders on the miraculous. Take Vermont, for example. After 2016, the number of families professing deep religious convictions spiked suddenly by over seven times, a new study shows. These families also had kindergarten-age children, and by all likelihood, this was not divine revelation.

So what was it? According to pediatrician Joshua Williams from the University of Colorado, it's most probably an unexpected side effect of tightened laws regulating the mandatory vaccination of school students in the state. A trailblazer in this regard was Vermont, in 2015 voting to become the first state to repeal its personal belief exemption, which became law in 2016. In Vermont, this single policy change coincided with a huge increase in the proportion of kindergarten enrollments claiming a religious exemption.

Reactions: The Man

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Anti-vax is its own religion, it seems.
Worse, it has infected actual religions of peace. I guarantee every single mother who lost their child to anti-vax regrets their decision. And you know what? It is going to take more children. A lot more children. Which is of course unfortunate. The safe-before-sorry crowd will become the live-with-regret crowd.

We have many dark marks on our history, this is just another.

Sent from my Religious Device via NewReligion App.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Worse, it has infected actual religions of peace. I guarantee every single mother who lost their child to anti-vax regrets their decision. And you know what? It is going to take more children. A lot more children. Which is of course unfortunate. The safe-before-sorry crowd will become the live-with-regret crowd.

We have many dark marks on our history, this is just another.

Sent from my Religious Device via NewReligion App.
I also have heard some who claim not vaccinating, makes their kids stronger so there could be some who think taking the non vaccination approach somehow will be better long term. They write off those that died as "weak" or whatever. We are in a very strange era where this seems to come from all sorts of odd angles whether its a religious thing or a natural movement. Not too long ago there was an article where parents in France were saying vaccinations were contaminated with "unknown substances" and these werent acceptable to these parents who were super protective over what went in their kids bodies. The parents only let their kids play with wooden toys as well because plastic was "contaminated." Apparently its a thing and some celebrities have been the ring leaders of it on social media.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
It's famous idiots like RFK Jr who push their anti vax agenda.

And, people die because of it.

Thanks RFK Jr!
Yup. He has been doing it for years up here. Colleges would pay him to speak about it a decade ago and now all those students are now parents and they bought the whole thing up. I worked with one who bought into the anti vax rage a decade ago and then when she had kids she raises them totally "organic" she calls it. Even their clothes she buys at some strange store with organic materials. Drinks raw milk, makes their own homemade bread etc. As I said, its a very strange thing to those of us who remember getting shots at school when we were kids. Nobody ever complained. I do think since few now get sick from these diseases, we dont have living proof of what they can cause.

Jul 2014
midwest
Yup. He has been doing it for years up here. Colleges would pay him to speak about it a decade ago and now all those students are now parents and they bought the whole thing up. I worked with one who bought into the anti vax rage a decade ago and then when she had kids she raises them totally "organic" she calls it. Even their clothes she buys at some strange store with organic materials. Drinks raw milk, makes their own homemade bread etc. As I said, its a very strange thing to those of us who remember getting shots at school when we were kids. Nobody ever complained. I do think since few now get sick from these diseases, we dont have living proof of what they can cause.
And, because he's from a famous family, people just take his word for it.

How can someone so smart (allegedly) push such stupidity on people?

He is causing people to die...