5 Guard brigades alerted for deployment

M

michaelr

By Michelle Tan - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Dec 3, 2007 18:43:07 EST

Five Army National Guard brigades have been alerted for deployment in the summer of 2009 to support Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, the Defense Department announced Monday.
The announcement affects about 15,000 soldiers, and is part of the regular rotation of forces.

The brigades alerted for duty in Iraq are:
• 32nd Brigade Combat Team, Wisconsin National Guard
• 41st BCT, Oregon National Guard
• 155th BCT, Mississippi National Guard

Full Article here.................
For 2009????????????????????:hissy:

Bless them!

P

patriotgrl

There's nothing ever set in stone with the military. The itinerary can be for them to fly out in 09, but next year there may be a different set of plans. Besides, not much that can be done about it.

M

michaelr

There's nothing ever set in stone with the military. The itinerary can be for them to fly out in 09, but next year there may be a different set of plans. Besides, not much that can be done about it.
It has taken me almost five years to accept that, I does not make me feel better, I am sure that they and their families feel worse, I find no solace in that whatsoever!

M

metheron

One of the troubling things about this for me, is that the reduction in troops that is supposed to start happening prior to 2009 should allow our guard units to be able to go back to staying stateside like they are intended to do. Allow regular Army troops to handle outside of the US.

M

michaelr

One of the troubling things about this for me, is that the reduction in troops that is supposed to start happening prior to 2009 should allow our guard units to be able to go back to staying stateside like they are intended to do. Allow regular Army troops to handle outside of the US.
I have been saying that the numbers will not go down for years, now we have a "Strategic Partnership", loosely translated; we will have troops there for ever!

M

metheron

I have been saying that the numbers will not go down for years, now we have a "Strategic Partnership", loosely translated; we will have troops there for ever!
I have no doubt abou that. However, they should not be our National Guard troops. Their strategic purpose is here at home and not abroad.

D

Dayton3

I have no doubt abou that. However, they should not be our National Guard troops. Their strategic purpose is here at home and not abroad.
That hasn't been true since the mid 1970s when General Creighton Abrams, angered at the end of the draft and the fact that the National Guard hadn't been mobilized during the Vietnam War to any great degree set about to restructure the Guard and Reserves so that the United States could not fight any kind of large scale conflict without Guard and Reserve callups.

General Abrams own words IIRC were

"We're not going to war without taking the Guard with us".

M

metheron

That hasn't been true since the mid 1970s when General Creighton Abrams, angered at the end of the draft and the fact that the National Guard hadn't been mobilized during the Vietnam War to any great degree set about to restructure the Guard and Reserves so that the United States could not fight any kind of large scale conflict without Guard and Reserve callups.

General Abrams own words IIRC were

"We're not going to war without taking the Guard with us".
I am not against their call ups, I am against their deploying into war zones.
Who is General Abrams and what is his role on the purpose of our National Guard troops?