5 Takeaways From the Leaked Files on China’s Mass Detention of Muslims

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.

The 403 pages reveal how the demands of top officials, including President Xi Jinping, led to the creation of the indoctrination camps, which have long been shrouded in secrecy. The documents also show that the government acknowledged internally that the campaign had torn families apart — even as it explained it as a modest job-training effort — and that the program faced unexpected resistance from officials who feared a backlash and economic damage.

there is literally a mass genocide event happening in china. An ethnic cleansing, concentration camps. And little world outrage.... why?

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
It's all over the news. Any organisation that works on human rights has been expressing outrage for a long time and demanding action. The UN have condemned the situation and demanded access to the camps (refused, obviously). The EU has condemned the camps, as has the US, and many other governments. Some individuals and organisations have been added to the US Treasury sanctions list over their roles.

What does outrage look like to you?

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
It is not all over the news. Its barely mentioned....

Outrage looks like world sanctions, outrage looks like protest in the streets, outrage looks like outrage, not meh...

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
It is not all over the news. Its barely mentioned....

I can keep copy pasting links for as long as you like, on account of the story being covered by every news organisation in the entire world. But it's unclear to me what would satisfy you.

Outrage looks like world sanctions, outrage looks like protest in the streets, outrage looks like outrage, not meh...
The question as to why so few countries have imposed sanctions is simple - the economic power of China. Politicians have tended to cynically favour Chinese investment possibilities over concrete action.

There have, of course, been protests in the streets, too. Mostly by ethnic Uighurs in places like Geneva and Brussels demanding more meaningful action from the UN and EU.

If you mean, though, why have the general public of the world but risen up en masse to demand action, when has that ever happened?

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011

I can keep copy pasting links for as long as you like, on account of the story being covered by every news organisation in the entire world. But it's unclear to me what would satisfy you.

The question as to why so few countries have imposed sanctions is simple - the economic power of China. Politicians have tended to cynically favour Chinese investment possibilities over concrete action.

There have, of course, been protests in the streets, too. Mostly by ethnic Uighurs in places like Geneva and Brussels demanding more meaningful action from the UN and EU.

If you mean, though, why have the general public of the world but risen up en masse to demand action, when has that ever happened?

this is the same bullshit you all do when we ask about inner city gun violence, you go find some articlea and say “see”?

let me ask you. Which is discussed more, which had more outrage? This or the vaping illness?

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
this is the same bullshit you all do when we ask about inner city gun violence, you go find some articlea and say “see”?

let me ask you. Which is discussed more, which had more outrage? This or the vaping illness?
The vaping thing probably had more coverage, in English-language media at least. As for outrage, I'm not really sure how to measure that. I haven't heard any outrage about vaping, but that's because I didn't follow any of the coverage and it's apparently not a topic that interested anyone I talk to.

I've heard lots of outrage about Xinjiang, but that's a consequence of the company I keep and the news I choose to follow. I'm not naive enough to consider my subjective experience a barometer of world opinion.

If your concern is why the US media spend much more time on a domestic story over a much more significant international story, that's not limited to this particular event, nor is it a problem unique to the US (though US TV news does seem to be especially insular in its coverage, from what I've seen of it)

Reactions: John T Ford
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
There is no place for Islam in the modern world however, this is not the way to handle it.