81% of America distrusts Republicans, doesn't think they'll make right decision

Dec 2010
Virginia
Partisanship flares again, thwarts passage of stopgap funding bill
By Lori Montgomery and Rosalind S. Helderman, Published: September 23
The unexpected flare-up of partisan rancor over a minor line-item in the federal budget this week left lawmakers feeling increasingly gloomy about their ability to address issues of greater consequence, from the stubbornly high jobless rate to the soaring national debt.

“It’s a lot of energy wasted for nothing,” Rep. Phil Roe (R-Tenn.) said Friday as the Senate rejected a House-passed bill to fund the government for the next few weeks. “If we can’t do this, how do we do the heavy lifting?”

Partisanship flares again, thwarts passage of stopgap funding bill - The Washington Post

Setting aside the fact that Speaker Boehner knew this bill had no hope of passeage, before he sent it to the senate (and it barely passed in the house), here is what I find fascinating:"In a memo circulated widely on Capitol Hill, GOP pollster Bill McInturff warned that the debt-limit debate had “shattered confidence in our political system and everyone involved.” Voters lost faith in the ability of both President Obama and congressional Republicans to “make the right decisions about the economy,” the memo said. But congressional Republicans had taken the bigger hit, it added, with 81 percent of those surveyed saying they had little or no confidence in the judgment of the GOP."

A republican pollster said that 81% of Americans distrusts the GOP. 81%!!!!!

The GOP's response? Business as usual.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
There's that 'we suck' defeatism again. It appears our government, uniquely, is useless in the eyes of some.
We do suck at electing politicians who will actually do what we think they will when we cast our votes for them.

If Republicans unseat Democrats in 2012, I expect to hear more war horns.
If Obama and the Democrats keep their seats, I expect more corporate welfare disguised as social welfare.
Whichever happens, I expect more fiscal irresponsibility and Keynesian economics in hyperdrive.

What's so unrealistic about those expectations? Is that not what we're seeing? What are the two parties REALLY doing that differently from one another?

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
We do suck at electing politicians who will actually do what we think they will when we cast our votes for them.

If Republicans unseat Democrats in 2012, I expect to hear more war horns.
If Obama and the Democrats keep their seats, I expect more corporate welfare disguised as social welfare.
Whichever happens, I expect more fiscal irresponsibility and Keynesian economics in hyperdrive.

What's so unrealistic about those expectations? Is that not what we're seeing? What are the two parties REALLY doing that differently from one another?
You're right. In comparison to our politics from just a few years ago, Republicans act like extremist right-wingers and Democrats act like moderate right wingers.

But if Republicans really do win the trifecta next year, they'll actually have to DO what they claim they want to...then the real fun begins, because most Americans don't know what that means. When they find out, they'll be unhappy.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
You're right. In comparison to our politics from just a few years ago, Republicans act like extremist right-wingers and Democrats act like moderate right wingers.
So if virtually no one in DC is acting like left wingers, then what explains the left's trust in or defense of government?