8th continent discovered?

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Sure, they're a continent. Why not?

Reminds me of this movie.
lol yeah. the guys pushing for Tasmania seem a bit biased..

The case for Zealandia being a continent in its own right was argued by Nick Mortimer and Hamish Campbell in their book Zealandia: Our continent revealed in 2014,[10] citing geological and ecological evidence to support the proposal.[15]

In 2017, a team of eleven geologists from New Zealand, New Caledonia, and Australia concluded that Zealandia fulfills all the requirements to be considered a drowned continent, rather than a microcontinent or continental fragment.

Reactions: Friday13
Jun 2014
United States
lol yeah. they guys pushing for Tasmania are a bit biased..

The case for Zealandia being a continent in its own right was argued by Nick Mortimer and Hamish Campbell in their book Zealandia: Our continent revealed in 2014,[10] citing geological and ecological evidence to support the proposal.[15]

In 2017, a team of eleven geologists from New Zealand, New Caledonia, and Australia concluded that Zealandia fulfills all the requirements to be considered a drowned continent, rather than a microcontinent or continental fragment.

It is mostly under water.

May 2012
By the wall
The commentator says it could be real but that's not entirely accurate.

Can you explain to me how it something that is possible is confused with not being accurate?

Jan 2016
Colorado
huh.. Zealandia (or Tasmantis). News to me. A new continent kinda makes up for losing planet Pluto so yay :)

Zealandia - Wikipedia

From your link: New Caledonia lies at the northern end of the ancient continent, while New Zealand rises at the plate boundary that bisects it. These land masses are two outposts of the Antarctic Flora, including Araucarias and Podocarps. At Curio Bay, logs of a fossilized forest closely related to modern Kauri and Norfolk Pine can be seen that grew on Zealandia about 180 million years ago during the Jurassic period, before it split from Gondwana.[19] These were buried by volcanic mud flows and gradually replaced by silica to produce the fossils now exposed by the sea.

A trip to New Caledonia is one of the things on my 'bucket list'. If I was a millionaire, I would have already traveled there. Fascinating place.

Reactions: Puzzling Evidence