9/11 Anniversary -- Remembering the best of humanity on America's darkest day

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Everyone remembers where they were on 9/11. As a Canadian filmmaker, I was working on a movie set when my wife called me and told me to turn on the TV. When I saw what was happening in New York City, I remember thinking, “This is it; we’re all done for.”

Watching one of the world’s most beautiful and populated cities be ravaged by evil in a matter of moments, it felt like a protective veil had been lifted. If such darkness could fall on New York, what would stop it from teeming to the ends of the earth?

The sad truth is that since 9/11, we’ve all noticed the hatred persist in the form of more terrorist attacks and mass shootings around the world. Over the last 18 years, we’ve all gotten colder, more suspicious and less trusting. That day marked the end of an era and the start of a much more somber one.

Peter Gentile: 9/11 Anniversary -- Remembering the best of humanity on America's darkest day

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I always liked this story.
Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah is originally from the Maasai tribe in Kenya. But on September 11, 2001, he was in New York City when the terrorist attacks took place. Kimeli witnessed firsthand the horrendous tragedy that occurred that day. Several months later, he visited his native tribe in Kenya. While there, he told them the story of the horrible events he had seen on September 11, 2001 – in their remote tribe, they had not heard about these events!

Kimeli’s Maasai tribe was so moved by his story that they wanted to do something to show their support for America. After much consideration, they decided upon an offering that might seem unusual to Americans – 14 cows. But for the Maasai tribe, offering 14 cows was an enormous sacrifice, because to them cows are sacred and held in the highest esteem. Cows are one of the most important aspects of life in the Maasai tribe. As such, the Maasai tribe’s offering of 14 cows represented the ultimate show of love and support to the tragedy-stricken American people!
14 Cows for America - An Incredible Offering Born Out of Compassion | Inspire My Kids
Here's these people who hear about someone else they've never met getting hurt real bad. And they offer them the most important thing they have. God bless them.

Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Cool remembrances.

I remember thinking everything changed that day.

And it possibly did.

While the act was intolerable and the grief seemingly insurmountable, I long for the feeling of coming together that swept over my country and came from around the world in the days and weeks that followed. It was unlike anything I'd experienced before or since.

Feb 2007
May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
Cool remembrances.

I remember thinking everything changed that day.

And it possibly did.

While the act was intolerable and the grief seemingly insurmountable, I long for the feeling of coming together that swept over my country and came from around the world in the days and weeks that followed. It was unlike anything I'd experienced before or since.
Agreed. Maybe we can make a pledge that -- if just today -- to lay off the partisan snipery and behave like proud Americans.