9 out of 10 Filipinos want PH to regain control of WPS – SWS

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Only way that would work, is if all those Pacific countries with disputes with China unite together against them, Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, etc. A Pacific NATO, basically...
Currently the US military provides that role, as per instructions by occupying allied forces at the of ww2. I don't think any of them had a choice in that matter. Except maybe Taiwan. They were just ..... Informed.

That's also what the TPP is.

The economic arm of that effort to collectively stand up to China.

Oct 2013
USA
I just heard a discussion by a representative from Malaysia today who said they were concerned as well. China wields a lot of power, if for no other reason than its population size as well as how many corporations from around the world farm out their labor to Chinese factory workers. It is also one hell of a big economy, when it comes to what it buys and sells.

This will be interesting.....
There is no way China will ever back down. In her mind the South China Sea is hers and hers alone. They don't recognize any national decisions opposing their sovereignty by rules written by Western powers where they never gave of their claim on Islands. Since China leads in the global market and now finds themselves also leading in the Asian market having gobbled up what the US gave away when we tore up Asian Pacific Trade agreement, I'm afraid this won't even be interesting as the outcome should have been predictable.

The US sending in a ship here and there changes nothing. In other words that areas fate is already written and we have no pull beyond just watching them and bitching.

Last edited:
Jul 2018
North Carolina
There is no way China will ever back down. In her mind the South China Sea is hers and hers alone. They don't recognize any national decisions opposing their sovereignty by rules written by Western powers where they never gave of their claim on Islands. Since China leads in the global market and now finds themselves also leading in the Asian market having gobbled up what the US gave away when we tore up Asian Pacific Trade agreement, I'm afraid this won't even be interesting as the outcome should have been predictable.

The US sending in a ship here and there changes nothing. In other words that areas fate is already written and we have no pull beyond just watching them and bitching.
That's a pretty bleak picture you have painted. I honestly understand / and somewhat agree with your prognosis for the possible soon to be future for surrounding countries in the South China Sea (SCS). Especially given our (US) inaction / tolerance we are allowing the Chinese military (esp the Chinese Coast Guard) to go unchecked is inching closer and closer / equivalent to how the allies allowed Germany to take the Rhineland, Austria, and Czechoslovakia (Thank you @MaryAnne for an excellent video in another thread). We all know how that War turned out for the rest of us . IF we don't put these (Chinese) yahoos in check either through Military enforcement and / or more preferably make it extremely painful economically through trade we might very well be looking at another major conflict / war down the road. Yes I know we might / probably did very well royally f*** up our chances with the TPP, but that is in the past. We are gonna have to get together, put aside out differences, and figure this s*** out. My in-laws are Filipino who I have a lot of love / respect for, so I do have a vested interest in the well being of those good people.

“A person may cause evil to others not only by his actions but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury.”
John Stuart Mill

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
In any case, this isn't realistic...

Like that Ukrainian defense minister who promised his people, back in 2014, a victory parade in Simferopol, Crimea. He is no longer defense minister, and, these days, five years later, Russian nationalists from Crimea and elsewhere keep trolling him on Twitter and Facebook: "When's the parade, motherfucker? Come on, you promised everyone!" lol