9 year old girl refuses to stand for Australian national anthem

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
A nine-year-old girl has stirred controversy after refusing to stand for Australia's national anthem in protest at alleged institutional racism.

Harper Nielsen claimed the song "Advance Australia Fair" ignored the nation's indigenous people. "When it says 'we are young' it completely disregards the Indigenous Australians who were here before us," she told ABC news Australia. Australian politician Pauline Hanson later labelled Harper a "brat".

The schoolgirl was given detention last week for "blatant disrespect" over her failure to participate with classmates during a rendition of the song at Kenmore South State School in Brisbane. But her protest has outraged people, including Ms Hanson, who posted a video response on Facebook describing Harper as "disgraceful". "Here we have a kid that has been brainwashed and I tell you what, I would give her a kick up the backside," the 64-year-old said. "We're talking about a child who has no idea," she says, adding: "This is divisive. "I'm proud of the national anthem. It's about who we are as a nation." Jarrod Bleijie, Queensland's shadow minister for education, also criticised Harper's parents and called their daughter's actions a "silly protest". Others, such as Australian journalist and television host Georgie Gardner, praised Harper for her "strength and character".

Girl, 9, protests at Australian anthem
Sounds like a tough, independent mind. I expect good things from her when she grows up.

Jan 2016
Colorado
She will be beat down until she submits.
"The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

That is a common saying in Japan, which has long been considered to be an unusually conformist society. Such sentiments seem inappropriate for Western societies, which have traditionally allowed more latitude for individualism.

It would seem that Australia, like America, has the wrong national anthem. In America, our national anthem SHOULD be the song 'America the Beautiful', an altogether MUCH better song than 'The Star-Spangled Banner', which is more difficult to sing and has a militaristic tone that is not representative of our deepest values as a nation, whereas the lyrics to 'America the Beautiful' are. I am sure that there is some Australian song that would much better serve them as their national anthem, too.

Jan 2014
California
A nine-year-old girl has stirred controversy after refusing to stand for Australia's national anthem in protest at alleged institutional racism.

Harper Nielsen claimed the song "Advance Australia Fair" ignored the nation's indigenous people. "When it says 'we are young' it completely disregards the Indigenous Australians who were here before us," she told ABC news Australia. Australian politician Pauline Hanson later labelled Harper a "brat".

The schoolgirl was given detention last week for "blatant disrespect" over her failure to participate with classmates during a rendition of the song at Kenmore South State School in Brisbane. But her protest has outraged people, including Ms Hanson, who posted a video response on Facebook describing Harper as "disgraceful". "Here we have a kid that has been brainwashed and I tell you what, I would give her a kick up the backside," the 64-year-old said. "We're talking about a child who has no idea," she says, adding: "This is divisive. "I'm proud of the national anthem. It's about who we are as a nation." Jarrod Bleijie, Queensland's shadow minister for education, also criticised Harper's parents and called their daughter's actions a "silly protest". Others, such as Australian journalist and television host Georgie Gardner, praised Harper for her "strength and character".

Girl, 9, protests at Australian anthem
Bajisima,

What a maroon. The national anthem is about as mild and neutral as a song could be:

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
renowned of all the lands
For…
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair
Advance Australia Fair

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
"The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

That is a common saying in Japan, which has long been considered to be an unusually conformist society. Such sentiments seem inappropriate for Western societies, which have traditionally allowed more latitude for individualism.

It would seem that Australia, like America, has the wrong national anthem. In America, our national anthem SHOULD be the song 'America the Beautiful', an altogether MUCH better song than 'The Star-Spangled Banner', which is more difficult to sing and has a militaristic tone that is not representative of our deepest values as a nation, whereas the lyrics to 'America the Beautiful' are. I am sure that there is some Australian song that would much better serve them as their national anthem, too.
The Star Spangled Banner is a real pain to sing. I've got a narrow range, and so there are about two notes that the song can start on and still have me be able to strain up to hit the high notes. If it's not in either of those keys, I can't sing the whole thing properly. And even if it's in one of the keys where I can hit all the notes, I generally won't do so successfully, because there are places in the song where you make a blind leap several notes higher, which for untrained singers is hard to do without missing. From the "streaming" in "gallantly streaming" to the "and the" in "and the rockets red glare" you've got a note jump of an octave and two notes with no touchstones in between. Even pro singers often screw it up.

That made me think of an uncle of mine, by the way. He's deeply offended by those who don't stand for the anthem, and yet in his fifty years on this earth he's never bothered to learn the words even to the first verse of the song. That, to me, is much more disrespectful, in its casual laziness, than a principled decision to use the playing of the anthem as a chance to bring attention to civil rights issues.

Jan 2016
Colorado
The Star Spangled Banner is a real pain to sing. I've got a narrow range, and so there are about two notes that the song can start on and still have me be able to strain up to hit the high notes. If it's not in either of those keys, I can't sing the whole thing properly. And even if it's in one of the keys where I can hit all the notes, I generally won't do so successfully, because there are places in the song where you make a blind leap several notes higher, which for untrained singers is hard to do without missing. From the "streaming" in "gallantly streaming" to the "and the" in "and the rockets red glare" you've got a note jump of an octave and two notes with no touchstones in between. Even pro singers often screw it up.

That made me think of an uncle of mine, by the way. He's deeply offended by those who don't stand for the anthem, and yet in his fifty years on this earth he's never bothered to learn the words even to the first verse of the song. That, to me, is much more disrespectful, in its casual laziness, than a principled decision to use the playing of the anthem as a chance to bring attention to civil rights issues.
It became painfully obvious some time ago that our own President does not know the words to our National Anthem, and yet he uses it as an issue to purposefully divide the country along racial lines, which certainly shows that he is a very phony patriot.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Bajisima,

What a maroon. The national anthem is about as mild and neutral as a song could be:

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair
Advance Australia Fair
For…
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair
Advance Australia Fair
The girl's point is that the ancestors of the Australian aborigines have been in Australia for what we now understand was probably sixty-five thousand years. That is a long time, 65,000 years. So she has a point about the country not being 'young'. Australia's neighboring country of New Zealand could much more fairly claim to be 'young'. Humans have only been present in New Zealand for some 800 years, as we believe the ancestors of the Maoris did not arrive there until about 1200 AD.

That 9-year-old girl probably knows more history than you do.

Prehistory of Australia - Wikipedia

Jan 2014
California
The girl's point is that the ancestors of the Australian aborigines have been in Australia for what we now understand was probably sixty-five thousand years. That is a long time, 65,000 years. So she has a point about the country not being 'young'. Australia's neighboring country of New Zealand could much more fairly claim to be 'young'. Humans have only been present in New Zealand for some 800 years, as we believe the ancestors of the Maoris did not arrive there until about 1200 AD.

Prehistory of Australia - Wikipedia
Mr. Leroy,

Like I said, this young bimbo in training is a moroon.

The anthem is mild and doesn't talk about any history.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The girl's point is that the ancestors of the Australian aborigines have been in Australia for what we now understand was probably sixty thousand years. That is a long time, 60,000 years. So she has a point about the country not being 'young'. Australia's neighboring country of New Zealand could much more fairly claim to be 'young'. Humans have only been present in New Zealand for some 800 years, as we believe the ancestors of the Maoris did not arrive there until about 1200 AD.

Most people probably dont realize but many Native Americans never stood for the US national anthem up until WWII. Prior to that there were tribal flags to stand for. It wasnt until WWII where that changed for many.

In Indian Country, honoring flag might mean different anthem