A 2016 hangover: Some Bernie Sanders supporters still upset.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Some establishment-aligned Democrats worry the party could lose in 2020 if lingering concerns about the last primary aren't put to bed.

"It has the potential to escalate, and it has the potential to help re-elect Donald Trump," said Mo Elleithee, a former spokesman for Clinton and the DNC.
The acrimony stems from a fiercely fought campaign and a sense among Sanders loyalists that party leaders privately favored Clinton. DNC leaders at the time scheduled fewer debates than Republicans and sometimes slated them for nights with low television viewership. Often opaque delegate allocation rules also contributed to a belief among some Sanders supporters that the primary was essentially rigged.

According to data from the Pew Research Center, the tension took a toll. About 81% of people who consistently supported Sanders during the primary season and were confirmed to have voted in the general election said they ultimately voted for Clinton, while 11% said they supported Stein or Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson, and 3% supported Trump.
A 2016 Hangover: Some Bernie Sanders Supporters Still Upset

nice to see they haven't learned their lesson. Doesn't seem like it matters what the DNC does. They still don't seem to think it's enough. All the concessions, btw , made it harder for HRC to win. As did Sanders refusing to concede until he got them. I get loyalty to your chosen candidate. But, Sanders chose to run as a Democrat knowing that the party favored Hillary Clinton. He's been in politics the majority of his adult life. He knew what he was getting into just like Obama did when he challenged Hillary Clinton's "front runner" status. Seems like it's time for a little "tough love" on Bernie and his supporters.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Donna Brazile's book details just how underhanded and colluded the DNC and HRC campaign were. HRC's people basically ran the DNC at that time--which is not cool at all. Everyone--not just Bernie supporters--should be upset about that.

None of this makes Sanders any better a candidate. Let's see him release his tax returns, for a start.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Donna Brazile's book details just how underhanded and colluded the DNC and HRC campaign were. HRC's people basically ran the DNC at that time--which is not cool at all. Everyone--not just Bernie supporters--should be upset about that.

None of this makes Sanders any better a candidate. Let's see him release his tax returns, for a start.
I can say living in a state where Bernie won the primary by a lot, there really is a lot of hurt feelings still. I think perhaps they might have gotten over it but books like Brazile's and a few others out there really peeved them. I dont know what happens in 2020, I think he can still win here but maybe not. There are some young upstarts like Beto and Buttigieg that are coming up and are more popular with mainstream dems. So we will have to wait and see. Oh and Bernie doesnt want his tax returns released I suspect because of his wife. She has had her share of questionable purchases and funny money. If I had to guess, he might release the last two or three years at most, not go back so far due to her shenanigans.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Bernie Bros need to get over it, he would have lost even worse than Clinton.
Thats part of the problem though, they feel since he won the primaries in the rust belt that he would have won those states over Trump. Had Hillary won, they wouldnt care but because she lost, they are mad.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Right the DNC and HRC fixed the primaries and stole it from bernie, but it's bernies fault hillary lost...

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Thats part of the problem though, they feel since he won the primaries in the rust belt that he would have won those states over Trump. Had Hillary won, they wouldnt care but because she lost, they are mad.
So because of 2016, they are going to sabotage Democrats chances in 2020? They need to get over it.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
So because of 2016, they are going to sabotage Democrats chances in 2020? They need to get over it.
Well if you go and read the Justice Democrats platform, this has been in the works for quite some time. They have been trying to either take over the D party or destroy the current one. Its a stated mission, and if you look at old Sanders speeches, he admitted it. I said during the 2016 campaign he would be dangerous to anything mainstream since thats what he has always done. He runs as a D in VT and then when he wins he switches to I. He isnt a mainstream guy.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
That's my plan, yes. If they nominate another warmonger, I vote green again. If this country doesn't stop pouring all its resources into mindless wars, the country is going to fail, and I don't care whether the president is blue or red when it happens. I'd rather he be red, actually, because then the blame for America's failure will fall where it belongs. If a fake progressive democrat is in office when the collapse happens, then progressive policy will be blamed and the country will move even further to the right.

Trump's really accelerating the process of America's imperial collapse. If the collapse is inevitable anyway, we might as well hurry up and get on the far side of it.