A Comparison of 3 POTUS's

Which one presents a better solution based on a short snippet?

• Obama

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • GWB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trump

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Thank you. And that's interesting.

I had no idea orthodoxy could be so flexible.
There is more "flexibility" involved than you might expect. It is merely: a) a question of understanding Jewish law to begin with; and b) recognizing that individuals are at different places spiritually.

Orthodoxy is no more monolithic than any other aspect of Judaism, and there are many degrees and gradations. It is not a black-and-white matter of "either you are Orthodox or you are not" (notwithstanding the custom of many Orthodox is dressing like an Oreo cookie, as one rabbi put it).

A person who (like me) is a baal teshuva does not usually just "go Orthodox" and take on everything at once; that would be silly, and being rather too much to expect is a recipe for failure. Instead, one takes on one mitzvah at a time, integrating it into one's life, before taking on more. A person's yetzer hara sets a person up for failure with three classic statements: 1) "now or never"; 2) "all or nothing"; and 3) "who do you think you are, anyway?" (I cannot remember which author articulated these ... sounds like Nefesh HaChaim, but I am not sure and too lazy to check right now.)

Jul 2011
NYC
Irrelevant? You made the claim that "half his family were Jewish," not me.

But yeah, OK. How about this....

You know what's a distinguishing characteristic of orthodox men? They ALL wear yarmulkes outside the home.
(We can even check with @Ian Jeffrey for confirmation of this, if you like.)

So...find me one photo, just one, of Kushner wearing a yarmulke (aside from any taken in Israel by the Wailing Wall).

I'll wait here.

That is simply untrue. Orthodox judaism is not a single entity and it all comes down to the interpretation of jewish law and how one adheres to it. yes, most orthodox jews do wear one, but this is not a hard and fast rule.

While wearing a yarmulke is often a sign of an Orthodox Jew - it is not obligated by Jewish law rather only when one says blessings or hears blessings, or is in a synagogue or holy place. Many Jews who live and work in non-Jewish settings might be fully Orthodox and practicing but prefer not to be outwardly identifiable as Jews day to day. Conversely, there are many active non-Orthodox Jews who also wear a yarmulke - like Reform and Conservative Jews.

https://www.quora.com/If-Jared-Kushner-is-an-Orthodox-Jew-why-doesnt-he-wear-a-yarmulke-and-payot

Jul 2011
NYC
This is not a simple subject, and there are at least two sides to it, probably three or more.

That is my point, I am very aware of this. I just get a sour taste in my mouth when someone suggests someone is not correctly something (correctly black, correctly jewish) especially if the user does not identify themselves as part of the group they are attacking as not being correct.