A Dark Day in American History.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
On this day , February 05 2020 - That raw feeling you might be feeling is the pitch of your stomach is the natural human reaction to our great nation being diminished. Our once proud and deliberative Senate will surrender it's coequal authorities over to the state - and to Trump. This is a dark day in American history.
The thing that gets me about this isn't that Republicans are letting him off the hook, it's that they chose to destroy their own integrity by defending the most ignorant, immature, spiteful, petulant, graceless, short sighted president we've ever had.

I know people say "ignore his shitty personality", but the fact that there is nothing honorable or admirable about him, that he's completely devoid of any human qualities that one would aspire to makes it even more incomprehensible that he's manage to cultivate such loyalty and support.

He's just a big, raging ball of selfish & mean. I could understand them falling on their sword for almost any other Republican president, but this one is the exception to any rule of party politics.

It's not only baffling to me that Republicans voted for the worst person possible to be president, but to continue to defend the choice, to bow down the way they do - I will never understand it.

The video of his clownish behavior during the anthem at the Superbowl is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. It's not just that if a Democratic president did that the outrage would be palpable, but if a Republican president behaved that way there would be criticism from the right - but Trump? No expectations whatsoever of decency or respect.

"That's just the way he is" explains lack of interest in pressuring him to do better, but it doesn't even begin to cover the slobbering, self destructive, dog-like loyalty to him. And the worse he behaves, the more enthusiastic they become in their submission.

shm

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
The thing that gets me about this isn't that Republicans are letting him off the hook, it's that they chose to destroy their own integrity by defending the most ignorant, immature, spiteful, petulant, graceless, short sighted president we've ever had.

I know people say "ignore his shitty personality", but the fact that there is nothing honorable or admirable about him, that he's completely devoid of any human qualities that one would aspire to makes it even more incomprehensible that he's manage to cultivate such loyalty and support.

He's just a big, raging ball of selfish & mean. I could understand them falling on their sword for almost any other Republican president, but this one is the exception to any rule of party politics.

It's not only baffling to me that Republicans voted for the worst person possible to be president, but to continue to defend the choice, to bow down the way they do - I will never understand it.

The video of his clownish behavior during the anthem at the Superbowl is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. It's not just that if a Democratic president did that the outrage would be palpable, but if a Republican president behaved that way there would be criticism from the right - but Trump? No expectations whatsoever of decency or respect.

"That's just the way he is" explains lack of interest in pressuring him to do better, but it doesn't even begin to cover the slobbering, self destructive, dog-like loyalty to him. And the worse he behaves, the more enthusiastic they become in their submission.

shm
There is an aphorism along the lines of: "It is much easier to fool someone, than it is to convince them they have been fooled."

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA

shm
Well he does go after anyone and anybody who is not "loyal" to him...with a vengeance

Even his OWN people who head the various IA agencies

There are no more "adults" anymore to keep him from doing really damaging things

So I fear, it's just going to get worse and worse

Like Pompeo, totally silent on Yovanovitch

Same with Esper on Vindman

How they can still look in the mirror is beyond me.

Dec 2019
Washington, D.C.
Did you suffer a penalty in cancelling the travel plans to China? I have heard travel agents are telling people they can't cancel their trip if they have booked it unless they are going to ground zero in China. If they are going somewhere else in China and cancel they will lose the money they have already put down.
No, we got a full refund. I think the cruise lines is anticipating canceling that cruise anyway with the coronavirus. Plus, my wife and I have dealt with Vacations To Go for years, and I used to do consulting work annually on their building in Houston. So we have a slight relationship with the company to start with. Add that to the fact the cruise was to start in Tokyo, and move on to other Japanese ports like Kobe, before hitting Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Would have been nice. Still debating on going to Seoul for my son’s wedding, but I’ll let him decide. Figure I’ll give him the choice of my presence at his Korean wedding, which the father is not a participant in, or give him the money it would have taken for me to get there and stay in a hotel. He’s told me it is a 10 minute ceremony, and he’s getting married to a S.K. girl so they are getting married in her hometown of Seoul. We’ll see how it plays out. If that doesn’t work out for me, I’ve been eyeing a trip to Budapest, but the wife is not yet convinced.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey