A Felon's Resume

N

Nerdo

Hey, some advice please. If you knew someone who was fresh out of jail for a felony and who is now faced with a job search, what would you suggest in regards to a resume? Do you think she should hide the fact of her prison term? I can do wonders with a scanty resume, but wonder if it'd be a bad idea to try to hide it.

Thoughts anyone?

T

TenGig

So you finally got parole?

I would try to hide the fact. It will lower the chance of getting a new job if you don't hide it. But that also depends in what industry she's trying to get a job in, some don't care as much as others.

K

kit

Yes, it's a bad idea to hide it. First because it will eventually be found out and lying on a job application is normally grounds for dismissal and, secondly, it's just bad business to lie. If you never lie, you never have to worry about what you say.

As for me? I'd admit the jail time, but try to find something positive which came out of it, whether that be in a learned attitude (reformation) or highlight whatever job skills your client learned in prison.

N

Nerdo

So you finally got parole?

I would try to hide the fact. It will lower the chance of getting a new job if you don't hide it. But that also depends in what industry she's trying to get a job in, some don't care as much as others.
I mostly worry about this whole digital world. It's much harder to hide those types of things. I don't want her happily in a new job where she hid her status and then get kicked to the curb later.

M

michaelr

I mostly worry about this whole digital world. It's much harder to hide those types of things. I don't want her happily in a new job where she hid her status and then get kicked to the curb later.
Your correct to be worried, she would be found out and I believe that lying on an employment ap is against the law and therefore a parole violation.

Truth is always the best, she would need to fill out more aps than your average person, but she will find an interview, and a job.

N

Nerdo

Your correct to be worried, she would be found out and I believe that lying on an employment ap is against the law and therefore a parole violation.

Truth is always the best, she would need to fill out more aps than your average person, but she will find an interview, and a job.
Thanks. I would to see her get a regular job and not either have to get paid under the table or be beholden to anyone for a job. There's a lot of scumbag guys out there who could take advantage of that situation.

S

Sparta

I wouldn't hide it, but I wouldn't offer up anything that wasn't expected either. A resume is supposed to be about selling yourself, it's not about coming clean.

T

TenGig

Well I was more thinking that if the employeer doesn't ask, don't tell. I wouldn't suggest lying and sayign she was traveling during that time. Maybe just say she was unemployeed (that's not really lying). If they ask her during the interview what she was doing during that time, then she could tell them the truth. I'm thinking it might be better to get the interview first, then let her try to convince them in person. Could be better than having HR scan the CV and not even give it a shot.

But really I don't know, anyone here work in HR?