A horribly cynical thought experiment.

C

chu chu rocket

This is a thought experiment along the lines of "minority report."

Say that sometime in the near future, a scenario occurs where you by looking at brain scans can determine the probability of somebody committing murder at one point in life.

Let us pretend there is a 25% probability that somebody with a certain brain scan result kills somebody. Let us further say that on average, they kill 8 people. This means that on the average, a person with a positive brain scan will kill 25% of 8 people--> 2 people.

Now the question is; would you support killing such an individual before he gets the chance to kill another one? Or imprison him for life? Exchanging 2 lives for 1?

L

lftdystopia

no absolutely not, although i wonder how if there would be a trend with people in the army and in politics that are more likely to kill

F

Feslin

Even if the probability is 100%, you shouldn't punish an individual for an act they haven't commited, or currently have no intention to commit.

M

michaelr

I have always wondered if you could predict Stalin or Hitler and killed them, would you be a hero or murderer.

To answer the question in the OP, no!

D

Dr.Knuckles

For a Hitler or a Stalin - you might end up killing them and in their place come two equally evil dictators who ally together and take Western Europe successfully. You've saved tens of millions but altered everything else to be unrecognisable and we all study German in school and live in police states.

As for the mind reading. That's closer and more realistic than we may even know. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to spot psychopathic brain patterns or even genetic predispositions to violence quite easily.

We may even be able to opperate on kids to make them less agressive if they are lashing out and hurting others. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Spooky.

And if I knew my unborn baby was going to be a vegetable, unable to even know who or where she is - damn right I'd want to avoid that and just terminate.

M

michaelr

This is a thought experiment along the lines of "minority report."

Say that sometime in the near future, a scenario occurs where you by looking at brain scans can determine the probability of somebody committing murder at one point in life.

Let us pretend there is a 25% probability that somebody with a certain brain scan result kills somebody. Let us further say that on average, they kill 8 people. This means that on the average, a person with a positive brain scan will kill 25% of 8 people--> 2 people.

Now the question is; would you support killing such an individual before he gets the chance to kill another one? Or imprison him for life? Exchanging 2 lives for 1?
Hey chu chu, stop giving these clowns ideas will ya??
The Government Is Trying to Wrap Its Mind Around Yours

C

chu chu rocket

Even if the probability is 100%, you shouldn't punish an individual for an act they haven't commited, or currently have no intention to commit.
OK. Do you know why you feel this way?

Hey chu chu, stop giving these clowns ideas will ya??
The Government Is Trying to Wrap Its Mind Around Yours
Wow. After having read through that, that sounded more similar than I was aware of. Freaky shit.

2nd Edit: It was even posted the same day. If I were you, I would believe that was the article that I got the inspiration from!

C

chu chu rocket

As for the mind reading. That's closer and more realistic than we may even know. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to spot psychopathic brain patterns or even genetic predispositions to violence quite easily.
I know. It is a scary thought.

Now, lots of medical tests aren't very specific, meaning that even if the test is positive, there are a high number of false-positives (and false-negatives). That would be a problem with this scenario. Although many people might not change and turn out to be psychopaths, some people DO change.

Perhaps the response to this depends on how much trust people have in the decision-making of authorities (government, doctors), how much they associate with outsiders, and how they compare the risk of being struck by the law in some way themselves to being negatively influenced by a psychopath.