A message for Warren & Sanders.

Jan 2020
USA
I can go to any doctor I want, any hospital...get as many second or third opinions and pay very little out of pocket. I have freedom to use ANY facility, any doctor, any hospital in the entire nation.....I also never have to have co pays slow me down or question whats covered or what sort of bill I might end up with....I wont pay anything more than 500 out of pocket in a calendar year....thats the cap on out of pocket. I also will get disability payments or sick pay while I am out of work.....so I am free to focus on my health should that become an issue.
We need people to start livestreaming such reality from their smartphones and wifi connected cameras (along with GPS location and interacting with viewers so random people can participate and join with their devices over internet or in person, or both).

When worldwide internet is completed in the next five years, such access will enable people everywhere to help shatter false assumptions and misinformation.

Merely reading what an anonymous person claims about their healthcare or local / foreign policies doesn't move a lot of opinions that quickly.

It's much more powerful for people to see for themselves and experience the reality as vividly as possible, interacting with it at any time and from every vantage points they choose.

Reactions: Kontrary
Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Feel free to start a charity for 18 year old motorcycle crash victims. No one is stopping you.
Or bill said 18 year old for the ambulance ride. If he doesn't pay, treat him just like any other deadbeat, garnish his wages and deny him credit in the future until he makes things right.
We shouldn't be making sweepingly oppressive laws to deal with extremely infrequent situations.
Punish those who abuse the system, not those who may or may not abuse the system sometime in the future.
I must admit, at least you're consistent.
Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the sort of society you envision.

Apr 2018
oregon
We're at the cusp of being able to tackle many major problems personally in our lives and as a species. Why seek to punish at all?

Life is what we make it. So why not seek to improve upon our habits and outlook in how we react against anyone's failures?

This pattern where we label fellow citizens as "deadbeats" or other unflattering labels and dream up ways to punish them is a deep psychological reaction to our lifelong struggles against scarcity (or poverty ever lurking around the corner) and to any psychological scars from abuses we've experienced in our lives.

In a sort of Stockholm Syndrome that keeps on living, we seek ways to inflict damage and psychological abuse against those who don't conform to the "realities" of life which (having been harsh and unforgiving for millennia throughout history and in our lifetimes) we've somewhat welcomed such perceived realities to become our captors since birth.

For most, it's all we've known.

Yet being submissive to our woes and the resulting fears imprisons our minds. How can we snap out of that?

How can each of us start to instead buck the trend (of kneeling to harsh "realities" we inherited), and start shifting to a mindset that resonates with the idea of grassroots abundance by communities of self sufficiency that freely / organically organize... so we're more likely to look out for ourselves and one another? (Instead of seeking how to rub people's faces into their misery from any poor choices they made while on our collective thin path of survival that's often so harshly unforgiving of mistakes in judgment)

We can get there with the help of advances in technology and access to open communication / knowledge.

With grassroots abundance at local levels and full liberty liberty along with more personal power against disease and the effects of aging, our psychological health will likely grow and mature more constructively.
I just believe adults should pay for their personal needs. Do you disagree?
And, if they borrow money from someone, there should be a mechanism to legally recoup it so lenders don't become vigilantes.
Deadbeats exist, and, like any other unsavory characters, often need the stick as opposed to yet another carrot.

Jan 2020
USA
I just believe adults should pay for their personal needs. Do you disagree?
And, if they borrow money from someone, there should be a mechanism to legally recoup it so lenders don't become vigilantes.
I agree that when they can, yes, and people should avoid stealing even when they lack money, and should repay loans promptly and honestly.

However that's because scarcity rules over each of us.

There's another world possible where people don't pay for their personal needs. They create and grow whatever they need or neighbors do, everyone trading for what they need, all automated, everything available in abundance.

Until then people won't be fully free. Not until everyone is self sufficient and freely able to organically organize in communities, made more possible if using internet available worldwide (in 5 years), translation apps, renewable energy, grassroots made robotics, and self driving vehicles that serve as tiny homes.

Apr 2018
oregon
I agree that when they can, yes, and people should avoid stealing even when they lack money, and should repay loans promptly and honestly.
Agreed.
However that's because scarcity rules over each of us.
Scarcity doesn't rule over me, it just determines the cost of things I may or may not decide to purchase.
There's another world possible where people don't pay for their personal needs.
Someone has to. Personal needs rarely grow on a tree in your back yard.
They create and grow whatever they need or neighbors do, everyone trading for what they need, all automated, everything available in abundance.
If people want to voluntarily join such unions, more power to them. Until we have Star-Trek replicators that can conjure up whatever we need without someone else working to provide it, I'll stick with the meritocracy style system we have now. I produce something of value to others, receive payment voluntarily from others for it, and in turn use that payment to purchase things I want from other productive citizens. It's as close to a perfect economic system that exists in the real world.
Until then people won't be fully free.
People are not fully free until death.
Not until everyone is self sufficient and freely able to organically organize in communities, made more possible if using internet available worldwide (in 5 years), translation apps, renewable energy, grassroots made robotics, and self driving vehicles that serve as tiny homes.
Your optimism is equal parts admirable and naive, imho. Humans are competitive by nature. If you breed that out of us, we will die as a species.
Hmm, by my own logic, that will free us all. LOL.

Apr 2018
oregon
What would make something a nanny state?
Ever increasing government interference in our lives via over-taxation, over-regulation, and involuntary wealth redistribution.
For example, when you give the government the responsibility for funding your medical needs, you also give the government the parental responsibility of regulating any behaviors it may find detrimental to your health. It's a very slippery slope.