A mysterious syndrome in which marijuana users get violently ill is starting to worry

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...earchers/ar-BBJbiHz?li=AA51YJ&ocid=spartanntp

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS, appears to occur in people who use marijuana frequently for years. Aside from quitting marijuana, there are no known treatments.

Mrs. X told her doctors that soothing herself with a warm bath was like magic — her symptoms seemed to melt away into the warm tub. But as soon as the water began to cool, her symptoms creeped back. It felt like she couldn't get the water hot enough. She learned to progressively heat the water, preferring to stay in the bath as long as she could.

But one day, the water got too hot and she emerged with red skin and a bad burn. The third time it happened, she ended up in the hospital.
I'm still against legalization. For decriminalization, but against legalization. Pot use is dangerous, imo, and should be regulated like medicine. I am for its use, when it helps people more than other drugs in common use, but not for recreation, and the so called medicinal use pot cards need to be audited and a lot of doctors need to lose their licenses over pot card fraud.

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...earchers/ar-BBJbiHz?li=AA51YJ&ocid=spartanntp

I'm still against legalization. For decriminalization, but against legalization. Pot use is dangerous, imo, and should be regulated like medicine. I am for its use, when it helps people more than other drugs in common use, but not for recreation, and the so called medicinal use pot cards need to be audited and a lot of doctors need to lose their licenses over pot card fraud.
On this we agree. There are some studies that suggest some long term negative impacts on teens who smoke the stuff. The rush to legalized marijuana has happened with too little study and forethought.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Hmmm. I smell bullshit, sir. Marijuana is used to treat the side effects of chemotherapy, including vomiting.

If the doctors cannot explain HOW marijuana use caused these patients' illness, it seems likely to me they are whistling in the dark. They might well have been long-term marijuana users and still contract a virus, etc. causing their symptoms.

The medical benefits of marijuana are so plentiful, almost everyone qualifies for a medical use permit.

Kindly bear in mind, when reading news about marijuana, that millions of people and billions of dollars will be dramatically affected as the prohibition is rolled back. Drumming up public support for and against various liberalization measures should be expected.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida

Are you in favor of bringing back prohibition?
Booze is a much more dangerous and available drug we can all buy in the store.

We all benefit from the taxes paid for it and we would all benefit from taxes on MJ.
Those in favor of criminalizing one drug but not the other seem hypocritical to me.

Prohibition doesn't work in any case. prostitution, abortion, gambling....you name it.
You can't legislate morality!

Jul 2017
U.S.A.

On this we agree. There are some studies that suggest some long term negative impacts on teens who smoke the stuff. The rush to legalized marijuana has happened with too little study and forethought.
You two obviously never even seen the stuff.
This sounds like some trumped up study by big Pharm to slander a natural remedy for illnesses that are dominating the narcotic 'treatments'.

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
This sounds like some trumped up study by big Pharm to slander a natural remedy for illnesses that are dominating the narcotic 'treatments'.
In my case at least you'd be surprised to know just how wrong you really are.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
No, [MENTION=27840]fenrir[/MENTION] is correct. There are studies that show prolonged, heavy marijuana use interferes with normal functioning and development by teens.

Turns out, getting stoned out of your gourd is unwise for the average 16 year old, if done daily.

I support medical use only for teenagers, at least until age 18.

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
Over my lifetime, I have met many a nasty drunk, but I've never met a stoner that wasn't mellow and happy. Happy, but hungry.
According to some research that would be; mellow, happy, hungry, and schizophrenic.

Cannabis and schizophrenia: New evidence unveiled

"Our research demonstrates that cannabis has a differential risk on susceptible versus non-susceptible individuals. In other words, young people with a genetic susceptibility to schizophrenia - those who have psychiatric disorders in their families - should bear in mind that they're playing with fire if they smoke pot during adolescence."

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado

Yes this is well known and there are warnings about it and paths to treatment - which is simply stopping smoking or switching strains. Some strains evoke an allergic reaction in some people. There was even a PSA about it and it's common knowledge in pot-friendly states.

What I don't get is your color commentary that really has nothing to do with the article you posted. This reaction existed before legalization for medical or recreation. It's been known for years and was labelled a syndrome first in 2004 but has been seen as far back as 30 years - where the primary treatment is to simply stop smoking. There is a very low percentage of people who experience this and to my knowledge, zero deaths.

Pot smoking is not for everyone. And please smoke responsibly.

Now peanuts, that's a real threat in this day and age. Peanut responsibly.