A Question About the GA Governor's Race

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Good question. I would say no because elections are run by the state not the federal govt. I imagine the state AGs office would be responsible. However, if they find something criminal, then maybe the FBI would get involved?
I was afraid of that. None of the officials in Georgia are going to investigate some of the "odd" things that occured. First, Kemp should have resigned as secretary of state. He was in charge of and overseeing his own election. But because it's strictly a state issue Georgia officials could turn a blind eye and they did.

Stacey Abrams was executive director of the New Georgia Project which aimed to register more voters - especially black voters because so many weren't registered. When all those registrations came into Kemp's office he knew what that could mean and he worked hard to disenfranchise as many of those new registrants as possible. Kemp tried to intimidate Abrams with claims of voter fraud but she's a law graduate of Yale and knows the law. She wasn't intimidated.

When that didn't work Kemp managed to purge 1.5 million voters and close down about 215 polling stations mostly in poor and minority neighborhoods.

Then he used "exact match" to eliminate even more applicants. A judge ruled that "exact match" was biased for anglicized names, which of course negatively impacts minorities. But the Georgia legislature ignored that and made new "exact match" program. (This is a perfect example of systemic racism, for those of you who don't understand the phrase.)

Then Kemp attempted to close 7 of 9 polling stations in a predominantly black county.

That LE is completely ignoring all of this just blows my mind. I mean, it feels like it's 1955, ffs.

Then on election day there were problems in Gwinnett county that in recent years went from 67% white to 62% non-white. Then there were only 3 voting machines in Atlanta's Pittman Park Rec Center in a predominantly black area.

The problems call renewed attention to election system issues in Georgia. It is one of just a handful of states that fully rely on electronic voting without any independent paper ballots, a system that election security experts say is more susceptible to electronic hacking.

In September, US District Judge Amy Totenberg ruled that Georgia could not be forced to adopt paper ballots before the election, but said there was “a mounting tide of evidence of the inadequacy and security risks” in the state’s system.

In October, the NAACP filed a complaint saying that voting machines were incorrectly registering votes for Abrams as votes for Kemp.

In an interview with ThinkProgress, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA) argued that the issues being seen in the state today could be directly traced to Kemp, who currently serves as Georgia’s Secretary of State. “This was definitely foreseeable,” he said, noting that high turnout for the election was expected.

“He has had adequate time to address the archaic nature of this process,” Johnson added, “and he’s failed to do so.”
Voting hours in parts of Georgia extended after technical errors create long lines

The whole thing stinks to high heaven and I can't believe that anyone can just get away with blatant election fraud.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I was afraid of that. None of the officials in Georgia are going to investigate some of the "odd" things that occured. First, Kemp should have resigned as secretary of state. He was in charge of and overseeing his own election. But because it's strictly a state issue Georgia officials could turn a blind eye and they did.

Stacey Abrams was executive director of the New Georgia Project which aimed to register more voters - especially black voters because so many weren't registered. When all those registrations came into Kemp's office he knew what that could mean and he worked hard to disenfranchise as many of those new registrants as possible. Kemp tried to intimidate Abrams with claims of voter fraud but she's a law graduate of Yale and knows the law. She wasn't intimidated.

When that didn't work Kemp managed to purge 1.5 million voters and close down about 215 polling stations mostly in poor and minority neighborhoods.

Then he used "exact match" to eliminate even more applicants. A judge ruled that "exact match" was biased for anglicized names, which of course negatively impacts minorities. But the Georgia legislature ignored that and made new "exact match" program. (This is a perfect example of systemic racism, for those of you who don't understand the phrase.)

Then Kemp attempted to close 7 of 9 polling stations in a predominantly black county.

That LE is completely ignoring all of this just blows my mind. I mean, it feels like it's 1955, ffs.

Then on election day there were problems in Gwinnett county that in recent years went from 67% white to 62% non-white. Then there were only 3 voting machines in Atlanta's Pittman Park Rec Center in a predominantly black area.

Voting hours in parts of Georgia extended after technical errors create long lines

The whole thing stinks to high heaven and I can't believe that anyone can just get away with blatant election fraud.
Just saw that Kemp has resigned as SOS in Georgia. Not sure if thats good or bad.

Brian Kemp resigns as Georgia's secretary of state as governor's race remains too close to call

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

Does sound like the Georgia voting system/infrastructure is pretty antiquated. Needs updated if possible. (Available money is often the issue in those cases.)

Believed it is quite common that candidates defer from resigning their current offices until/unless they actually win the office they are attempting to acquire.

Polling stations get closed (or opened) for a variety of reasons. Expense and practicality typically the motivation. Although nefarious allegations are popular/common. Am suspecting there are documented basis' for why the actions were taken. Probably good to at least read those before the "investigation" is unleashed.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Suggests that he has a level of confidence he won the election.

Probably. Otherwise he could have just recused himself from the recount process. He must be certain he has won. I did see an earlier report where overseas military ballots have come in and he was winning those 8 to 1. We will see later today or tomorrow I suspect.