A question for anyone living in a country that provides any sort of universal health care

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
I did a post like this a few years ago. It' time to do it again. This question is not for citizens of the USA, but only for those in Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.

Would you, if you could, trade your country's health care system for that of the United States?

Why or why not?

Nov 2013
NY
No i wouldn't. I pay less for my healthcare here in the US than i did in Germany with comparable coverage.
But that's only because i have a good career and my employer pays the vast lion share of my premiums, and i can pick the highest / best plan offered, since what i have to pay for it, doesn't really phase me.
Yet, for my mom, who lived in Germany all her life, she got a quadruple bypass when she was 75, after her 4th heart attack, stayed in the best heart center in Germany for 2 months, one month of that in ICU due to complications (infection) after the bypass surgery... and got herself another 5 years of life after that. She paid abt. 500$ out of pocket for that whole ordeal back then.
None of that would have been even remotely affordable in the US for her.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
No of course not.

As a federal employee I am union and my massive and influential employer negotiates and covers my insurance premiums on my behalf. So I'd be fine. But my sister and mother work for wages and receive no benefits.

There is no universal coverage for dental care in Canada, so both my sister and my mom have a system. It's called "never go the dentist. At all. Ever."

That's how they would operate if medical insurance was fully private like dental is.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Fuck No! (To quote Robin Williams' Scotsman/golf routine)
Even with the service under assault from an ideologically driven government determined to introduce a US type system, I still wouldn't swap.
The NHS is a "National Treasure" and we the people will fight to keep it so. Dental services are almost completely privatised, as are opticians.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Fuck No! (To quote Robin Williams' Scotsman/golf routine)
Even with the service under assault from an ideologically driven government determined to introduce a US type system, I still wouldn't swap.
The NHS is a "National Treasure" and we the people will fight to keep it so. Dental services are almost completely privatised, as are opticians.
Ever wonder why there's a separate system for teeth and eyes? There isn't one for feet and hands, after all. US health insurance is the same way, dental and vision are separate.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Ever wonder why there's a separate system for teeth and eyes? There isn't one for feet and hands, after all. US health insurance is the same way, dental and vision are separate.
It's an oddity. The NHS offers free eye tests and glasses to a limited (young/old/poorer) range. Likewise dental care. I can't speak to opticians, who are entirely private sector, but will undertake NHS work, since I only needed them this last year or two...
Dentists likewise are mostly private practitioners offering their services to NHS patients, but they have always bitterly complained that NHS funding didn't cover their costs, and now it's very difficult to find one who treats NHS patients, and they struggle to cope with the load.