A question for anyone living in a country that provides any sort of universal health care

Blues63

Dec 2014
Tatooine
Yep. Conservatives always seem to be hell-bent on arguing that government can't possibly work. Just elect them into office and, by God, they'll prove it.
Seriously, these assholes have hated UHC since it's introduction in '75. and every time they are in government they undermine the system by increments. One day soon it will collapse and the mouthpieces will say UHC doesn't work, yet these very people will be the cause.

Jun 2014
United States
Seriously, these assholes have hated UHC since it's introduction in '75. and every time they are in government they undermine the system by increments. One day soon it will collapse and the mouthpieces will say UHC doesn't work, yet these very people will be the cause.

That's how they operate. I don't understand why anyone supports the assholes.

Jun 2014
United States
Yep, and if I were British, I'd be worried about Johnson doing the same thing. I know Farage wants to destroy the NHS and swap over to Health Insurance, but as soon as insurance companies get involved, the quality of the system degenerates.

It has to. There's only so much money out there for people to pay in insurance premiums, and if a large portion of that money goes to profit, then it has to be taken from somewhere.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Never, for we are a country that looks after its citizens. However, each consecutive conservative administration erodes the system even more through funding cuts, and the introduction of health insurance (conflict of interest?), and I suspect that soon the system may be abandoned because it is unworkable. Then the conservatives will stand on the rostra claiming, 'we told you so'.
Conservatives keep asserting the system is broken, and are intent on breaking it until someone notices.

Oct 2013
Sweden
I did a post like this a few years ago. It' time to do it again. This question is not for citizens of the USA, but only for those in Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.

Would you, if you could, trade your country's health care system for that of the United States?

Why or why not?
I love the medical system in Sweden and having lived in both the US and Sweden for many years each...Sweden's system is MUCH better and costs me much less (and I include the taxes I pay for the swedish system as part of my costs). Ultimately, I choose to make sweden my main residence and the health care system is one of the top reasons why! I love being back in the US, there are many things I love about the US, health care is NOT one of them and it makes me angry as it hinders me making the US my main residence again..

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Never, for we are a country that looks after its citizens. However, each consecutive conservative administration erodes the system even more through funding cuts, and the introduction of health insurance (conflict of interest?), and I suspect that soon the system may be abandoned because it is unworkable. Then the conservatives will stand on the rostra claiming, 'we told you so'.
So please explain something. I hear this same thing in England as well. If the conservatives are continually taking apart a health system that is "beloved" how do they keep getting elected? Healthcare seems as if its the single most important thing yet these guys keep getting elected.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Conservatives keep asserting the system is broken, and are intent on breaking it until someone notices.
But again they cant gain any traction without being elected. There has to be something else going on. If people love their system why would they elect them? There has to be other issues considered more important for that to happen?

Aug 2018
Vancouver
But again they cant gain any traction without being elected. There has to be something else going on. If people love their system why would they elect them? There has to be other issues considered more important for that to happen?
I'm not british, but looks like they're locked in the same two party rotational loop as everyone else. First past the post.

Don't like A, go B. Don't like B, go A. Hate A, go B. Despise B, go A. A has a scandal, B wins. On and on and on as the western world dies of self inflicted wounds.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I'm not british, but looks like they're locked in the same two party rotational loop as everyone else. First past the post.

Don't like A, go B. Don't like B, go A. Hate A, go B. Despise B, go A. A has a scandal, B wins. On and on and on as the western world dies of self inflicted wounds.
I guess but they do have coalitions. Here in the US with two parties I get it, one side ends up for something else that the majority just doesnt want and healthcare is the sacrificial lamb. But I wonder in other places how it happens.