A Return To Props and Biplanes?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
The U.S. Association of Flight Attendants has asked the FAA to ground the planes temporarily.

Southwest Airlines, the largest users of the Boeing 737 Max 8 has offered all passengers booked on them the chance to change their bookings.

Europe and India join Boeing aircraft ban after crash

Boeing has confirmed that for the past few months it has been developing a "flight control software enhancement" for the aircraft, but says it is confident they are safe to fly.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal

I don't get it. Yes, we had an awful plane crash. But what does he want to do? Simplify passenger jets?

Does Trump want us to go back to the Spruce Goose?

Hmm... Well, I think I'm going to take engineers words for it over Trump's.

Yearly fatalities have been going steadily down since the 1940s, and after an accident, Trump wants to kneejerk in response by rolling us back to when statistics say it was less safe.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
What Trump highlights is a glaring issue with technology and most of those in elderly generations - not all though. No offense to anyone in those generations on the board.

However, no other generation has asserted a how it should work attitude towards technology like them. What you end up having first is diffusing myths and preconceived ideas about how they think it should work, then show them how it actually does work. It's an exercise in futility sometimes.

I remember seeing a few posts on Facebook by grandmas uniting in a humorous way to tell that younger generation that they shouldn't give grandma any crap for messing up the computer again. But they didn't understand that it's not just IT, it's 2 lessons per 1 issue.

Ask any IT person who has a parent or grandparent.
Or any person who was in their 20s in the 90s.

Technology is complicated to Trump because his idea of the future comes from such a far off place in time.

Remember the Facebook Congressional Hearings? Yeah - there are a lot of good examples of people who find technology complex.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Hell, try living in Siberia, where you may (if a man) be asked to get out and help push your plane on the tarmac, in a blizzard
:D Basically, the plane's tires FROZE to the ground, it couldn't move! All the men had to then grab the wings and shove it out of its place. Everyday realities of life in Russia... haha

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
What Trump highlights is a glaring issue with technology and most of those in elderly generations - not all though. No offense to anyone in those generations on the board.

However, no other generation has asserted a how it should work attitude towards technology like them. What you end up having first is diffusing myths and preconceived ideas about how they think it should work, then show them how it actually does work. It's an exercise in futility sometimes.

I remember seeing a few posts on Facebook by grandmas uniting in a humorous way to tell that younger generation that they shouldn't give grandma any crap for messing up the computer again. But they didn't understand that it's not just IT, it's 2 lessons per 1 issue.

Ask any IT person who has a parent or grandparent.
Or any person who was in their 20s in the 90s.

Technology is complicated to Trump because his idea of the future comes from such a far off place in time.

Remember the Facebook Congressional Hearings? Yeah - there are a lot of good examples of people who find technology complex.
It makes a lot of sense... but I have to take issue with Trump in particular, because of his position in this nation, he can actually do things about it.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Hell, try living in Siberia, where you may (if a man) be asked to get out and help push your plane on the tarmac, in a blizzard
:D Basically, the plane's tires FROZE to the ground, it couldn't move! All the men had to then grab the wings and shove it out of its place. Everyday realities of life in Russia... haha
You had me from the moment you sent Trump to Siberia.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
You had me from the moment you sent Trump to Siberia.
lol You know, its still a common saying over there in Russia... When folks in Moscow or St. Petersburg or Sochi or wherever want to kick some scumbag out of their town, you see people online say, "We should ship the bastard off to Siberia!"

These days, though, often you get pissed off Siberians yelling back, "Fuck you! We are not your garbage dump anymore!"

:D

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Indeed!

Whether or not he get's it done is still uncertain, but not impossible. And his influence wouldn't convince airplane manufacturers to do something, but might convince lawmakers to twist their arm in a counterproductive way.