A Return To Props and Biplanes?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Indeed!

Whether or not he get's it done is still uncertain, but not impossible. And his influence wouldn't convince airplane manufacturers to do something, but might convince lawmakers to twist their arm in a counterproductive way.
Russia and China, who are developing own airliners together right now
would certainly LOVE it if Trump somehow knocked the US out of that competition...

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Indeed!

Whether or not he get's it done is still uncertain, but not impossible. And his influence wouldn't convince airplane manufacturers to do something, but might convince lawmakers to twist their arm in a counterproductive way.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but that's more worry than reality. That's too much credit for Trump.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I'm guessing people don't know what was behind his stupid tweet?

It's this:

Roughly two-thirds of the 737 Max 8 aircraft in the world have been pulled from use by airlines and aviation regulators after the model crashed twice in just five months. An estimated 6,000 of the 8,600 flights that use the plane in a typical week of travel were affected, according to an analysis based on data from Flightradar24, a flight tracking service.
But three airlines in the United States and Canada – American, Southwest and Air Canada – have stuck by the Max 8, leaving them as the only carriers still flying large numbers of the jets. The Federal Aviation Administration has declared the plane safe.

On Tuesday, the European Union joined China, Indonesia and more than a half dozen other countries barring the planes from their airspace as the investigation continues. At least 40 airlines have announced they are taking the aircraft out of service.

Boeing 737 Max 8 Jets Are Grounded Nearly Everywhere

Boening CEO and Trump have deep ties

His aviation connections have expanded during his presidency to include relationships with powerful executives in the defense industry, including Muilenburg, with whom he has talked several times. Muilenburg told Trump in Tuesday’s morning call that the aircraft was safe and did not need to be grounded, two people briefed on the conversation said.

That leaves the United States as an outlier in its response to Sunday’s crash of a Boeing 737 MAX that killed 157 people. The European Union’s aviation safety regulator on Tuesday suspended all flights by the plane in the bloc; of the top 10 countries by air passenger travel, all but the United States and Japan have halted flights. U.S. officials, including a bipartisan group of five Senators, are asking why the FAA is not doing the same. U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican who chairs the Senate subcommittee on aviation and space, said he intends to convene a hearing to investigate.

Before joining the Pentagon, acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, who is expected to be named to the post, worked for 31 years at Boeing, where he was general manager for the 787 Dreamliner passenger jet. Boeing has nominated Nikki Haley, Trump’s former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations who continues to be a close ally, to join its board of directors at the company’s annual shareholders meeting on April 29.

Trump has also put pressure on U.S. allies to buy products from Boeing, the country’s second largest defense contractor which received $104 billion in unclassified defense contracts between 2014 and 2018.

Ties between Boeing and Trump run deep | Reuters

And remember when he wanted his personal pilot to head up the FAA?

Exclusive: Trump privately pushing personal pilot to run FAA

And another good link about this topic

Trump’s FAA is up against its most serious airline safety crisis yet

Never thought I would give Ted Cruz props, but in this case I am.

Jul 2016
8/20/19 PH HISTORY!

It's this:

Roughly two-thirds of the 737 Max 8 aircraft in the world have been pulled from use by airlines and aviation regulators after the model crashed twice in just five months. An estimated 6,000 of the 8,600 flights that use the plane in a typical week of travel were affected, according to an analysis based on data from Flightradar24, a flight tracking service.
But three airlines in the United States and Canada – American, Southwest and Air Canada – have stuck by the Max 8, leaving them as the only carriers still flying large numbers of the jets. The Federal Aviation Administration has declared the plane safe.

On Tuesday, the European Union joined China, Indonesia and more than a half dozen other countries barring the planes from their airspace as the investigation continues. At least 40 airlines have announced they are taking the aircraft out of service.

His aviation connections have expanded during his presidency to include relationships with powerful executives in the defense industry, including Muilenburg, with whom he has talked several times. Muilenburg told Trump in Tuesday’s morning call that the aircraft was safe and did not need to be grounded, two people briefed on the conversation said.

That leaves the United States as an outlier in its response to Sunday’s crash of a Boeing 737 MAX that killed 157 people. The European Union’s aviation safety regulator on Tuesday suspended all flights by the plane in the bloc; of the top 10 countries by air passenger travel, all but the United States and Japan have halted flights. U.S. officials, including a bipartisan group of five Senators, are asking why the FAA is not doing the same. U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican who chairs the Senate subcommittee on aviation and space, said he intends to convene a hearing to investigate.

Before joining the Pentagon, acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, who is expected to be named to the post, worked for 31 years at Boeing, where he was general manager for the 787 Dreamliner passenger jet. Boeing has nominated Nikki Haley, Trump’s former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations who continues to be a close ally, to join its board of directors at the company’s annual shareholders meeting on April 29.

Trump has also put pressure on U.S. allies to buy products from Boeing, the country’s second largest defense contractor which received $104 billion in unclassified defense contracts between 2014 and 2018.

It's all about the Benjamin's.

Jan 2016
Colorado
He wants us to go back to hot air balloons.
Are you sure? We might not be able to find a hot air balloon with enough hot air to lift his fat and unsightly obese arse off the ground.

Note how I went out of my way to use the British spelling of the slang word for our gluteus maximus posterior region, because I wanted to make my post more 'classy'.

Dec 2018
Florida

I don't get it. Yes, we had an awful plane crash. But what does he want to do? Simplify passenger jets?

Does Trump want us to go back to the Spruce Goose?

There is an argument to be made here. Not that Trump is the guy to make it.

Faster planes are not always better. Faster isn’t better. It is about efficiency and cost per unit of fuel per passenger for profit margin. And there are some things that CAN be done better in props or biplanes. Biplanes are pretty interesting (I’ve ridden in one and it is very cool). One thing I’ve started to notice is that props seem (and I could be wrong) are FAR superior for gliding in the event of engine failure.

This is something I’m betting the airline industry will be looking at very closely as they stand to lose billions or hundreds of millions over the issue. Better planes would be safer, longer travel, and more seats.

Dec 2018
Florida

It's this:

When did the FAA declare the plane Safe? And what were the errors that caused the crash? Questions that are asked already of course. How much is maintenance related? How much pilot? How much is a manufacturer defect? Improper maintenance protocols are a huge deal.

I work in insurance. And they are scumbags. And I deal frequently with improper maintenance request they pull to cut corners and nickel and dime you as the customer. I wouldn’t be surprised if if airlines are doing the same thing since it is a factor in their costs (and easier to skirt than fuel costs).