A scathing new Pentagon report blames Trump for the return of ISIS in Syria and Iraq

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Syria has no oil and the little bit they have is the poorest quality.. its only fit for asphalt. Israel is in no danger.
Am going to suggest it's a little more complex than that. There are a lot of independent pieces across the region which have long standing relationships and histories. Both good and bad. From Afghanistan to Yemen. Syria is just a piece in that puzzle. The bigger picture is (as noted earlier) a major clusterfuck.

And without the support of the US, Israel would be in much more dire straits than it faces at the moment.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Am going to suggest it's a little more complex than that. There are a lot of independent pieces across the region which have long standing relationships and histories. Both good and bad. From Afghanistan to Yemen. Syria is just a piece in that puzzle. The bigger picture is (as noted earlier) a major clusterfuck.

And without the support of the US, Israel would be in much more dire straits than it faces at the moment.

Meaning what? Syria has NO relationship with Yemen or Afghanistan.

Israel has ben getting US financial assistance since 1948.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
At some point the ME is going to have to be on their own to deal with ISIS.

Trump didn't defeat ISIS but he certain won that battle with them. Their reformation or regrouping had to be expected (as outlined in the article).

But as we see, that wasn't a part of the concern when pulling troops out. For better or for worse.
I agree 100%. No one wins in the ME. You can't defeat ISIS or AQ or any of the other terrorist groups because another one will take its place. I think Russia is the Country who slowed down ISIS in Syria.....they are not concerned with war crimes and being called out all over the world for atrocity.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
I agree 100%. No one wins in the ME. You can't defeat ISIS or AQ or any of the other terrorist groups because another one will take its place. I think Russia is the Country who slowed down ISIS in Syria.....they are not concerned with war crimes and being called out all over the world for atrocity.
The Kurds were also big players in the action.

(Those same Kurds who are an absolute bizarre combination of enemy/ally/revolutionary/stabilizing force in the middle of total chaos.)

Jan 2016
Colorado
Trump says he knows more than all the generals because he went to a military high school.
No, no, it's not just that! It's because Trump has a Magnificent Brain! I mean, you wouldn't BELIEVE how magnificent his brain is! In fact, Donald Trump could go on for hours and hours about how Magnificent his Brain is! Because it is! Even the generals know that! At least, the smart ones!

:nerd::smirk:

Jan 2016
Colorado
If you're the CiC, you decide for whatever reason you'd like and the naysaying ninnies can pound sand until you're out of office.
"Naysaying ninnies". Hey, that's good! Good alliteration! I guess General James Mattis was (and is) one of those 'naysaying ninnies'.

Or was he a nattering nabob of negativism?

Jan 2016
Colorado
Agree.

If the US wants to suppress/contain ISIS style activity then we have to supply troops. If the goal is to really crush them then we would need more troops, not less. But the political opposition to the Administration would scream bloody murder if Trump proposed increasing troop levels.

The Middle East is a political/religious/ideological clusterfuck. But there is also a bunch of oil. So the world economies don't get to just ignore it.

No good solutions. Although helping to keep Israel safe/independent is a valid persistent goal.
America is very dangerously taking sides in the long struggle within Islam between the Sunnis and the Shi'ites, which dates back to near the origins of Islam in the 7th century AD. We are coming down FIRMLY on the side of the Sunnis, with our alliance with Saudi Arabia, and our unremitting hostility to Iran. In effect, we are choosing sides in an Islamic Civil War that has been percolating for nearly 1400 years.

WHY?

WHY are we doing this? Is the Saudi Arabian government any more enlightened or 'progressive' than the Iranian regime? Not to my eyes! Saudi Arabia recently crucified a religious dissident, for crying out loud! They beheaded more than 30 others. The true leader of Saudi Arabia today, the psychotic Mohammed bin Salman, almost certainly ORDERED the murder of America-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

I would like someone to explain to me why Sunni Islam is somehow more 'theologically acceptable' than Shi'ite Islam, from our perspective. No one here at PH has yet been able to give even a slightly coherent answer to that question: WHY are we allies with the Sunni Muslims, against the Shi'ite Muslims? After all, both ISIS and Al Qaeda were and are SUNNI movements.