A scathing new Pentagon report blames Trump for the return of ISIS in Syria and Iraq

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
IMO Trump did make the wrong decision, but I respect the decision he made and respect the fact he had to make one.

However, if I try to sell the idea that he made the wrong decision to you, or anyone else - I'd have to be okay with us going to war.

And I don't need to explain how much of a hard sell that is to the public.

Trump probably considered that as well. If we stay it is going to get worse for us as we'd have to play world police and that didn't work out so well for us in Iraq or among the American voter.

It's the democrat posters on this forums who went from "no war for oil" to "Trump is bad for not expanding war in syria" chickenhawks that are the most perplexing.

Jan 2016
Colorado
IMO Trump did make the wrong decision, but I respect the decision he made and respect the fact he had to make one.

However, if I try to sell the idea that he made the wrong decision to you, or anyone else - I'd have to be okay with us going to war.

And I don't need to explain how much of a hard sell that is to the public.

Trump probably considered that as well. If we stay it is going to get worse for us as we'd have to play world police and that didn't work out so well for us in Iraq or among the American voter.
Trump HAS us on the brink of war with Iran. That's entirely of his own doing. We had better hope he makes the right decision there, and doesn't decide a good little war with Iran would be a great way of diverting from all his other problems.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
#chickenhawks who marched against the iraq war are now chiding trump for removing troops from yet another war of choice.

May 2013
Boise, ID
No, no, it's not just that! It's because Trump has a Magnificent Brain! I mean, you wouldn't BELIEVE how magnificent his brain is! In fact, Donald Trump could go on for hours and hours about how Magnificent his Brain is! Because it is! Even the generals know that! At least, the smart ones!

:nerd::smirk:
You got a problem with Stable Geniuses with Bestest n Bigliest Brains or what BLR ;)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Truthfully, I think Syria will eventually go the way of (North and South) Korea or (East and West) Germany

The US will likely eventually have to give up the At-Tanf border base, in exchange for full sovereign autonomy for that big yellow Kurdish-controlled area, under their protection. The Turks will probably get Idlib, in addition to what they already hold, in blue, in Afrin and Al-Bab. And the Russians will retain all that green stuff, via Assad or some other more presentable puppet (with less blood on his hands) they might replace him with. And all three sides will work to both eradicate the remaining jihadis and also squeeze out Iran from Syria too. :)

Eventually, two (if US and Turkey somehow manage to unite their parts) or three different, independent Syrias will emerge from this mess...

You'll see. I've been right on these things before.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Technically speaking, majority of them are in Turkey, plus neighbouring Arab countries, like Lebanon and Jordan, and Iraq too.
Turkey, Lebanon and Europe.. The Gulf States are not signatories to the UNHRC so their refugees are not counted. Arabia deals with them a bit differently.. They are not labeled refugees.. and they are not in camps. They are brothers in distress and their children go to regular schools.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Truthfully, I think Syria will eventually go the way of (North and South) Korea or (East and West) Germany

The US will likely eventually have to give up the At-Tanf border base, in exchange for full sovereign autonomy for that big yellow Kurdish-controlled area, under their protection. The Turks will probably get Idlib, in addition to what they already hold, in blue, in Afrin and Al-Bab. And the Russians will retain all that green stuff, via Assad or some other more presentable puppet (with less blood on his hands) they might replace him with. And all three sides will work to both eradicate the remaining jihadis and also squeeze out Iran from Syria too. :)

Eventually, two (if US and Turkey somehow manage to unite their parts) or three different, independent Syrias will emerge from this mess...

You'll see. I've been right on these things before.
Nice informative map! The Russians DO need to find a "more presentable puppet" than Assad. Yes, with "less blood on his hands". Or the conflict in Syria will simply go on, and on, and on.

Most of the borders in the Middle East, as you well know, are completely artificial and arbitrary, lines drawn on a map by European colonialists divvying up the shards of the Ottoman Empire. Iraq and Syria are both thoroughly artificial nations. One nation that is NOT 'artificial' or 'arbitrary', though, is Iran. Iran is a very cohesive nation-state, in contrast with many of the other major actors in the region. God help us all if Trump launches a war against Iran.