A secret recording reveals GOP fears that Texas state House could turn blue

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
A secret recording reveals GOP fears that Texas state House could turn blue
Should Democrats flip the lower chamber, they'll play a role in redrawing the state's congressional and legislative maps.
By Allan Smith

"Democrats, who haven't controlled the state House since 2002, already made inroads there in 2018, picking up 12 seats. Kier Murray, a longtime Texas Democratic strategist, told NBC News that Bonnen's meeting with the activist put on display the "discord" that's existed between more conservative Republicans and the "business establishment types" for some time."
"Murray told NBC News that flipping the state House would give Democrats the ability to put redistricting front and center in the next session."
"If you have a Democratic speaker who plays hardball and basically says to the lieutenant governor and the governor, 'We're not going to pass any bills this session of any kind until we get a redistricting bill passed that's fair,' you could use that sort of power to shut down the session," Murray said."

###################################################################################
Democrats in Texas must win the House in order to restore parity to the Texas voting system among other things. It is incumbent upon each Texas Democrat and their supporters, including Independents and others, to get out and vote in the next election cycle and do all they can to bring that about. Texas has seen what having a Republican majority has done to redistricting. Now is the time to equalize that dire situation by having Democratic control in the Texas House.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: the bull59
May 2019
midwest
So after the 2018 pickups, what is the split between the trumpsters and the good guys seat wise leading in to the next TX election?
:cool:

Reactions: DemoWhip
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
So after the 2018 pickups, what is the split between the trumpsters and the good guys seat wise leading in to the next TX election?
:cool:
Right now the count is 82 to 65 in favor of Republicans with 3 vacancies so it has the GOP running scared.

• Love
Jun 2014
United States
It's good that Democrats are making gains in Texas, but it's still a slightly red state. It would be a surprise if they actually won a majority.

You never know though. Turnout will, as always, be the key to the outcome.

• Love
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
It's good that Democrats are making gains in Texas, but it's still a slightly red state. It would be a surprise if they actually won a majority.

You never know though. Turnout will, as always, be the key to the outcome.
And right now Texas Democrats, I hear, are getting all fired up for the vote especially with the way Trump has handled things for Hispanics and Latinx folks. They are set to go out and vote in droves for Democrats this time around!

• Love
Jun 2014
United States
And right now Texas Democrats, I hear, are getting all fired up for the vote especially with the way Trump has handled things for Hispanics and Latinx folks. They are set to go out and vote in droves for Democrats this time around!

That's all good. I'm just not one for counting chickens prior to the eggs hatching.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
That's all good. I'm just not one for counting chickens prior to the eggs hatching.
Neither am I. But the fact that it has the GOP scrambling and worrying right now and getting their panties all in a twist HAS to be good news for Democrats!