A Simple Question for Those Who Oppose Same Sex Marriage

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I don't understand the full problems - but what about this questions: Where and when will learn Brandon and Britany something about the normal behavior of a husband and father of children? Which social models will they be able to use when they will have children on their own? What will they learn? Men are good for copulation and nothing else?

[video=youtube;ZgInkaZA8FM]
Where would they have learned this if their parents were one of the hundreds of millions of heterosexual couples where the straight dad just up and left? Or died? Or was a terrible role model?

Apr 2014
Maryland
I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that the children's best interest was served in this case.

I have no problem with some sort of civil union to give people equal rights under the law.

My issue is with calling it marriage.

It is not.

To say so would be to redefine the term marriage.
So what would be wrong redefining it by adding same gender?
Young people have no problem with same sex marriages. In my workshops they have to agree or disagree with certain statements and one is, “gay people should be allowed to marry. When I started this course over 20 years ago most kids said they disagreed , recently I did it and every single kid agreed . I was really taken aback

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
So now, my question is : Can anyone say that the best interest of Brandon and Britany were served in a system where Kathy and Angela COULD NOT GET MARRIED? Yes or No, and why
I'm in favor of same-sex marriage, but couldn't Kathy and Angela have avoided this eventuality by some other legal arrangement? Something short of marriage? Is that not possible? It's not for no reason that the reasoning that led to Obergfeld had little to do with practical minutia like this. People who object to marriage equality are unlikely to be persuaded by the needs of occasional children with mean, absent fathers.

Let's talk about the problem of mean, absent fathers. Wish there were a fix for that.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
So what would be wrong redefining it by adding same gender?
Young people have no problem with same sex marriages. In my workshops they have to agree or disagree with certain statements and one is, “gay people should be allowed to marry. When I started this course over 20 years ago most kids said they disagreed , recently I did it and every single kid agreed . I was really taken aback
We can agree on that ....

I have had similiar experiences.