A Small Margin Of Error - Re: Ocean Warming

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
The scaremongers are out and about, claiming that the oceans temps are rising faster(!) than they had imagined. Same crowd that told us in 1990 we only had 10-years to do something about .. about... yeah.

When I saw that graph in Zeke’s tweet, my bad-number detector started flashing bright red. What I found suspicious was that the confidence intervals seemed far too small. Not only that, but the graph is measured in a unit that is meaningless to most everyone. Hmmm …
Now, the units in this graph are “zettajoules”, abbreviated ZJ. A zettajoule is a billion trillion joules, or 1E+21 joules. I wanted to convert this to a more familiar number, which is degrees Celsius (°C). So I had to calculate how many zettajoule it takes to raise the temperature of the top two kilometres of the ocean by 1°C. I go over the math in the endnotes, but suffice it to say at this point that it takes about twenty-six hundred zettajoule to raise the temperature of the top two kilometres of the ocean by 1°C. 2,600 ZJ per degree.
Now, look at Figure 1 again. They claim that their error back in 1955 is plus or minus ninety-five zettajoules … and that converts to ± 0.04°C. Four hundredths of one degree celsius … right … Call me crazy, but I do NOT believe that we know the 1955 temperature of the top two kilometres of the ocean to within plus or minus four hundredths of one degree.
It gets worse. By the year 2018, they are claiming that the error bar is on the order of plus or minus nine zettajoules … which is three thousandths of one degree C. That’s 0.003°C. Get real! Ask any process engineer—determining the average temperature of a typcial swimming pool to within three thousandths of a degree would require a dozen thermometers or more …

A Small Margin Of Error

Dec 2015
SoCal
The scaremongers are out and about, claiming that the oceans temps are rising faster(!) than they had imagined. Same crowd that told us in 1990 we only had 10-years to do something about .. about... yeah.

When I saw that graph in Zeke’s tweet, my bad-number detector started flashing bright red. What I found suspicious was that the confidence intervals seemed far too small. Not only that, but the graph is measured in a unit that is meaningless to most everyone. Hmmm …
Now, the units in this graph are “zettajoules”, abbreviated ZJ. A zettajoule is a billion trillion joules, or 1E+21 joules. I wanted to convert this to a more familiar number, which is degrees Celsius (°C). So I had to calculate how many zettajoule it takes to raise the temperature of the top two kilometres of the ocean by 1°C. I go over the math in the endnotes, but suffice it to say at this point that it takes about twenty-six hundred zettajoule to raise the temperature of the top two kilometres of the ocean by 1°C. 2,600 ZJ per degree.
Now, look at Figure 1 again. They claim that their error back in 1955 is plus or minus ninety-five zettajoules … and that converts to ± 0.04°C. Four hundredths of one degree celsius … right … Call me crazy, but I do NOT believe that we know the 1955 temperature of the top two kilometres of the ocean to within plus or minus four hundredths of one degree.
It gets worse. By the year 2018, they are claiming that the error bar is on the order of plus or minus nine zettajoules … which is three thousandths of one degree C. That’s 0.003°C. Get real! Ask any process engineer—determining the average temperature of a typcial swimming pool to within three thousandths of a degree would require a dozen thermometers or more …

A Small Margin Of Error
Taking the average temperature of a pool to within three thousandths of a degree would only take one thermometer. In fact, adding more thermometers to the mix would only complicate the matter.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
It's the same thing in all aspects.

That it all boils down to carbon = bad, with carbon based life on this planet that translates to life = bad.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
It's the same thing in all aspects.

That it all boils down to carbon = bad, with carbon based life on this planet that translates to life = bad.

And ya gotta love people commenting about thousandths of a degree and wanting to be taken seriously.

Go back to the scaremongering which started in the 1980's about global warming (now referred to as climate change). That is now four decades of hysteria, with all the predictions of the 1980's, 1990's and the 2000-2010 period a laughable repeat of a repeat, and some people still take it seriously. They are the Chicken Little's of the day.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
You literally posted a link to a climate denier's blog that actual climate scientists laugh at.

Troll.

Facts are there is no serious ocean warming. It is all part of the lies since the 1980's.

Now take yor "actual climate scientists", you know, the clowns who have been predicting we only have 10 years to do something since the 1980's Duh. :zany: