Abortion clinic safe access zones.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
The High Court has rejected a claim by anti-abortion advocates that they have a right to protest outside abortion clinics, in a decision that has been welcomed as upholding the validity of NSW's safe access zone laws.

In a judgment handed down on Wednesday, the High Court unanimously dismissed two appeals to Victorian and Tasmanian laws which prescribe 150-metre "safe access zones" around abortion clinics.

In doing so, a majority of the Court rejected the argument that Victoria's law unnecessarily burdened the implied freedom of political communication in the Constitution, while the seven Justices unanimously dismissed this argument in relation to Tasmania's law.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...s-constitutionally-valid-20190409-p51chb.html

What is your opinion such judicial decisions?

For myself, I think they are a good idea, and have nothing to do with freedom of expression. I would imagine seeking an abortion is a traumatic experience for any woman, and the last thing she needs is having to force her way through placard carrying (and often screaming) protesters - what think you?

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...s-constitutionally-valid-20190409-p51chb.html

For myself, I think they are a good idea, and have nothing to do with freedom of expression. I would imagine seeking an abortion is a traumatic experience for any woman, and the last thing she needs is having to force her way through placard carrying (and often screaming) protesters - what think you?
Fine line. Here we had a big decision when it was ruled the WBC could continue to protest at the funerals of soldiers

However they are bound to remain a certain distance away by law, but in America, crazy, as long as it's not violent, has the same rights as everyone else.

I suppose it's better to err on the side of free speech, but sometimes it seems the loudest are often the most hateful and no one needs that shit.

Anyway, the way things are going here, it won't be long before we don't have to worry about abortion clinics being the targets of violence, because we're getting really close to them all being shut down.

Apr 2010
Oregon
These should absolutely exist. Anti abortion protesters can be insane.

They don’t seem to realize that 90%+ of women/men at PP are not going for abortions. They are going to STD testing or contraception. I’ve only encountered a totally crazy one once, she called me a whore and asked how many babies I had killed.I told her I was on my 4th abortion and the next one was free.

Really I just needed new birth control, I had a horrible reaction to the patch and they helped me take care of it and find a replacement even though I had no insurance.

CF40CB12-708C-4A3F-BFEB-65FCE804E9DE.jpeg

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I agree with such a decision. Certainly, anti-abortion advocates have a right to free speech, and that right is not impeded by preventing them from harassing people entering a PP facility, or preventing them from precluding such entrance.

Under the U.S. Constitution, the government may make restrictions on the time, place and manner of speech, so long as those regulations are rationally related to a legitimate government interest (i.e., rational basis scrutiny). The legitimate government interest here is protecting the right of people to utilize PP facilities for lawful purposes. Providing for a space through which to travel unimpeded to and from the facility, thus limiting the place in which protesters may speak, is rationally related to that interest. It is, therefore, an appropriate use of government power, which protects the right of one party to protest while also protecting the right to patronize PP (including for, but not limited to, abortions).

I cannot, of course, comment on an Australian court's interpretation of Australian law, since I am unfamiliar with it. But I believe the underlying logic applies the same basic principles.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I wish we didnt have to have these clinics personally. I wish ideally women could just walk into their OB-GYN office and do what she wants or needs to do. Nobody would ever know why she was there. I am shocked when I have traveled that a lot of women can just go to a regular doctor to have an abortion. There isnt the stigma necessarily. Here its almost like a neon sign to attract trouble. We keep saying we want it to be between a woman and her doctor, but most traditional doctors wont perform an abortion. So they are forced to the clinics. In countries with UHC that isnt the case, its covered as part of regular healthcare. Privately.

Jul 2015
Florida

Total BULLSHIT! All the lily white middle class ladies and their daughters can walk into their OB/GYN offices in suburbia, pull out her checkbook, VISA or AMEX, have her ABORTION, walk out the door UNACCOSTED, UNBOWED--with NO SCREAMING FUCKING IDIOTS IN THEIR FACES!

(Oh yeah, and if she uses her credit card, she gets 'points')

Jul 2013
On a happy trail

Not to mention they apparently treat every woman, even one my age, trying to sidle through their crowded sidewalk gauntlet while wobbling with a cane to get to another business........ after having to park a block away because they routinely take up every parking spot in the neighborhood........ as a potential PP customer. To be inconvenienced as much as possible.

Without even one person moving aside or offering to help me. These people are downright creepy.

I'm all for it.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
I agree with such a decision. Certainly, anti-abortion advocates have a right to free speech, and that right is not impeded by preventing them from harassing people entering a PP facility, or preventing them from precluding such entrance.

Under the U.S. Constitution, the government may make restrictions on the time, place and manner of speech, so long as those regulations are rationally related to a legitimate government interest (i.e., rational basis scrutiny). The legitimate government interest here is protecting the right of people to utilize PP facilities for lawful purposes. Providing for a space through which to travel unimpeded to and from the facility, thus limiting the place in which protesters may speak, is rationally related to that interest. It is, therefore, an appropriate use of government power, which protects the right of one party to protest while also protecting the right to patronize PP (including for, but not limited to, abortions).

I cannot, of course, comment on an Australian court's interpretation of Australian law, since I am unfamiliar with it. But I believe the underlying logic applies the same basic principles.
See post 8. This occurred six weeks ago. They take over the whole neighborhood and the local LE say they can do nothing about it.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Total BULLSHIT! All the lily white middle class ladies and their daughters can walk into their OB/GYN offices in suburbia, pull out her checkbook, VISA or AMEX, have her ABORTION, walk out the door UNACCOSTED, UNBOWED--with NO SCREAMING FUCKING IDIOTS IN THEIR FACES!

(Oh yeah, and if she uses her credit card, she gets 'points')
I'm sorry - I think I must have misunderstood something. Are you commenting upon the Australian situation, and if so, upon what authority? The Australian authorities concerned consider it prudent, and in the interests of the women concerned, to create a 150 metre zone through which they can enter these facilities unaccosted. What exactly in that situation is 'total bullshit'?