Absurdities in the Bible

Z

Zarathustra

Genisis 1:3-5 14-19 There was light ("night and day") before there was a sun.

Genesis 25:13People living for ridicuously long periods of time. For example, Abraham, who lived to 175 years of age. And that is just an example as there are other figures who have lived far longer.

Genesis 1:12 Plants began to grow before there was sunlight.

GE 2:15-23, 3:1-5, 1TI 2:14 Eve was created after Adam had already been given the prohibition about eating the forbidden fruit. Eve believed the serpent (the craftiest of all of God's wild creatures) when he assured her that she would become wise and would not die if she ate the fruit. Eve has been blamed for causing Adam to fall, and ultimately for the fall of mankind. (Note: Prior to eating the forbidden fruit, Adam and Eve would have had no knowledge of right and wrong; they would not have known that it was a sin to disobey God or to obey the serpent. After they ate the forbidden fruit, God placed a guard around the "Tree of Eternal Life" to keep them from eating its fruit. He could have done the same for the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" before Adam and Eve disobeyed. In addition, even though the prohibition regarding the forbidden fruit was made to Adam before Eve came on the scene, Eve has been blamed for the Fall; 1TI 2:14 says: "... Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.")

GE 3:14-16 God curses the serpent, Eve, and Adam for what they have done. (Note: This is inconsistent with God's omniscience; God should have known full well, ahead of time, what the outcome would be. Since God created the three as well as the Tree of Knowledge, he is ultimately responsible for the Fall.)

Genesis 6:15The size of Noah's Ark was such that there would be about one and a half cubic feet for each pair of the 2,000,000 to 5,000,000 species to be taken aboard.

Exodus 4:24The Lord sought to kill Moses (one of his own prophets.)

EX 12:37, NU 1:45-46 The number of men of military age who take part in the Exodus is given as about 600,000. Allowing for women, children, and older men would probably mean that a total of more than 2,000,000 Israelites left Egypt at a time when the whole population of Egypt was less than 2,000,000.

Leviticus 14:49-53 The cure for leprosy involves incantations and the blood of a bird. ( Is this not witchcraft???)

MT 4:23-24, 9:32-33, 12:22, 17:14-18, MK 1:23-26, 32-34, 5:2-16, 9:17-29, 16:9, LK 11:14, 4:33-35, 8:2, 27-36, 9:38-42, AC 8:7, 16:16-18 Both physical and mental Illness are caused by demon possession and can be cured by exorcism.

2CO 12:22 There are at least three heavens.

RE 14:1-4 Heaven is to be inhabited in part by 144,000 virgin men who have not been "defiled" by women. ( What losers)

GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.

And these are just a tiny fraction of the countless illogicalities and falasies and absurdities that inhabit the so-called "Good Book".

L

lakeman

I am by no means a theologian but with just a quick glance I can see that you did not do your homework.

In just a moment I will refute most of what you say without even looking anything up.

If you are going to go out and claim that something is absurd you might want to at least do a google search first.

I probably won't have an answer for each one but since you did not think it was worth the time to examine anything critically I don't think there is any compelling reason for me to either.

Z

Zarathustra

I am by no means a theologian but with just a quick glance I can see that you did not do your homework.

In just a moment I will refute most of what you say without even looking anything up.

If you are going to go out and claim that something is absurd you might want to at least do a google search first.

I probably won't have an answer for each one but since you did not think it was worth the time to examine anything critically I don't think there is any compelling reason for me to either.

My mistake living 900 years is normal. Im an idiot of course plants can grow without sunlight. My bad. You're right, it IS possible to cure diseases by chantings and sacrifices.

Z

Zarathustra

Then get the fuck out.

L

lakeman

Genisis 1:3-5 14-19 There was light ("night and day") before there was a sun.
The light could have been any number of things other than sunlight. It could have been God's radiance. It could have been the background radiation that fills the universe. It could have been symbolic of goodness.

Genesis 25:13People living for ridicuously long periods of time. For example, Abraham, who lived to 175 years of age. And that is just an example as there are other figures who have lived far longer.
Abraham is hardly the best examply of long life. The longest documented person to have lived in recent history was a little over 120. So 175 is not that much of a stretch. Anyway, as you said, plenty of people in the bible lived far longer. Consider that scientist still do not know what causes a natural death. Then consider that in the antedeluvian period the atmosphere of our planet was much different than it is today. It may have had far more oxygen in the air and a much higher atmospheric pressure. We have found fossils of animals that could not live in todays environment at all because, lacking lungs, they would not have been able to transport enough oxygen to all the tissues of their bodies. (The same might be true for dinosaurs, but I'm no expert on the dinosaur's circulatory system) But in an environment in which there was more oxygen and higher pressure they would have had no trouble living. It is conceivable that the different environement would result in longer lives. The lifespans of people declined steadily right after the story of Noah and the dramatic changes in the atmosphere which were described. Or it could just be that God chose for each of these people to live a long life and intervened in the natural processes.

Genesis 1:12 Plants began to grow before there was sunlight.
Sorry I don't know much about this one off the top of my head. I do know that when you buy white asparagus in the story it is a stalk about 8 inches tall and it is created by covering it so that it gets no sunlight.

L

lakeman

GE 2:15-23, 3:1-5, 1TI 2:14 Eve was created after Adam had already been given the prohibition about eating the forbidden fruit. Eve believed the serpent (the craftiest of all of God's wild creatures) when he assured her that she would become wise and would not die if she ate the fruit. Eve has been blamed for causing Adam to fall, and ultimately for the fall of mankind. (Note: Prior to eating the forbidden fruit, Adam and Eve would have had no knowledge of right and wrong; they would not have known that it was a sin to disobey God or to obey the serpent. After they ate the forbidden fruit, God placed a guard around the "Tree of Eternal Life" to keep them from eating its fruit. He could have done the same for the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" before Adam and Eve disobeyed. In addition, even though the prohibition regarding the forbidden fruit was made to Adam before Eve came on the scene, Eve has been blamed for the Fall; 1TI 2:14 says: "... Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.")
Adam learned of the prohibition first and told Eve so she was aware of it. But as the one who got the information first hand he had he greater responsibility. Still both Adam and Eve were at fault for their own role not just Eve. Eve was decieved (the lesser of the two wrongs, as Adam did it too and he was not deceived.) Access to the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil could not have been blocked as that was the only sin they could have commited and it was neccessary for them to have free will. Blocking it would have deprived them of the ability to make their own decisions. Still no one is tested beyond their abilty to resist. The Tree of Eternal Life had to be blocked to keep them from from living forever in their fallen state with no opportunity for salvation.

GE 3:14-16 God curses the serpent, Eve, and Adam for what they have done. (Note: This is inconsistent with God's omniscience; God should have known full well, ahead of time, what the outcome would be. Since God created the three as well as the Tree of Knowledge, he is ultimately responsible for the Fall.)
God did know what was going to happen but he had to allow them to make their own choices. To deprive them of free will would have been wrong. God does take responsibility and when salvation is provided it is God who does all the work. In the same passage we see an archtype of that salvation when it is God who covers their sins by making a blood sacrifice (clothing from animal skins) which symbolizes their own deaths.

Genesis 6:15The size of Noah's Ark was such that there would be about one and a half cubic feet for each pair of the 2,000,000 to 5,000,000 species to be taken aboard.
The flood may very well have been a local flood and so only the animals that lived in that region would need to be on the ark. Also, marine animals were not on the ark. Btw, it was not two of every animal, a number of species were represented by seven. Now I am startng to think that you did not do this math yourself so you got all this from someone else. Someone who if they spent the time to create a web page with this information and still did not do even the slightest bit of research is really really ignorant.

Exodus 4:24The Lord sought to kill Moses (one of his own prophets.)
I don't really remember this out of context like this. Of course Moses died eventually and it was God who decided when. God has complete authority to determine the time of anyone's death.

EX 12:37, NU 1:45-46 The number of men of military age who take part in the Exodus is given as about 600,000. Allowing for women, children, and older men would probably mean that a total of more than 2,000,000 Israelites left Egypt at a time when the whole population of Egypt was less than 2,000,000.
Sorry, I am not familiar with these numbers. Given the lack of diligence in creating the previous examples of absurdities there is probably just an false assumption in this one too.

Leviticus 14:49-53 The cure for leprosy involves incantations and the blood of a bird. ( Is this not witchcraft???)
It most certainly was not withcraft. Not seeing the passage in front of me i can't be sure but it was probably just a prayer and a sacrifice.

MT 4:23-24, 9:32-33, 12:22, 17:14-18, MK 1:23-26, 32-34, 5:2-16, 9:17-29, 16:9, LK 11:14, 4:33-35, 8:2, 27-36, 9:38-42, AC 8:7, 16:16-18 Both physical and mental Illness are caused by demon possession and can be cured by exorcism.

The Bible does not deny that physical and mental illness exist. If these particular examples are said to be the result of spirits and not physical or mental then I am inclined to trust the one who was there to record the events rather than the one who chooses to read the account and second guess the author. The real complaint here is probably not that the illness was "mislabeled" but that it was attributed to "imaginery demons." But if you believe that you have a spirit yourself then it is not much of a leap to believe that there are any other spirits in existence, such as God or angels.

2CO 12:22 There are at least three heavens.
Yes there are.

RE 14:1-4 Heaven is to be inhabited in part by 144,000 virgin men who have not been "defiled" by women. ( What losers)

What do you think happens to the people who die when young and innocent?
GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.
Adam died a spiritual death on the day he ate the fruit. This is well known Christian theology. I have even posted it in one or two of the other threads here on this forum.

Then he continued just as you are. Spiritually dead but physically alive.

He was given the opportunity to change his thinking. He was given the opportunity to a trust God again (the reverse of what he did when he ate the fruit) and receive salvation. Just as you are.

Z

Zarathustra

The light could have been any number of things other than sunlight. It could have been God's radiance. It could have been the background radiation that fills the universe. It could have been symbolic of goodness.

Abraham is hardly the best examply of long life. The longest documented person to have lived in recent history was a little over 120. So 175 is not that much of a stretch. Anyway, as you said, plenty of people in the bible lived far longer. Consider that scientist still do not know what causes a natural death. Then consider that in the antedeluvian period the atmosphere of our planet was much different than it is today. It may have had far more oxygen in the air and a much higher atmospheric pressure. We have found fossils of animals that could not live in todays environment at all because, lacking lungs, they would not have been able to transport enough oxygen to all the tissues of their bodies. (The same might be true for dinosaurs, but I'm no expert on the dinosaur's circulatory system) But in an environment in which there was more oxygen and higher pressure they would have had no trouble living. It is conceivable that the different environement would result in longer lives. The lifespans of people declined steadily right after the story of Noah and the dramatic changes in the atmosphere which were described. Or it could just be that God chose for each of these people to live a long life and intervened in the natural processes.

Sorry I don't know much about this one off the top of my head. I do know that when you buy white asparagus in the story it is a stalk about 8 inches tall and it is created by covering it so that it gets no sunlight.
Than why did our life span decrease from 900 to 20 or 30 and then rise again? What is the point?

One freaky asparagus does not explain the majority of the plants that NEED sunlight to grow and live.

Z

Zarathustra

Another question: How could they have KNOWN disobeying God is wrong before eating the tree of Good and Evil?

L

lakeman

Than why did our life span decrease from 900 to 20 or 30 and then rise again? What is the point?
Life spans in the antedeluvian period had the potential to be very long. But there was no gurantee that one would love a long life. Just like today most people live to be 80ish on average but many people die much younger. In the post deluvian period life spans shortened considerable and the bible says that an upper limit was set (somewhere around 120). Again some individuals may live much shorter than average.

One freaky asparagus does not explain the majority of the plants that NEED sunlight to grow and live.
I had an incomplete explanation before. Sorry.

Sunlight was created on the first day. The theory is that the sun could not be seen through the atmosphere until the fourth day when the bible describes the new visiblity of the sun rather than it's creation. But the light was visible enough for there to be day and night and for plants to grow.

The reason this is unclear is that the bible uses phenomonoligical language.

So if the bible says that the sun rises. we know that the sun does not actually rise. We see a phenomenon that appears to be a rising sun when actually it is a rotating earth. You and I use language like this everyday.

On day 1 God says let there be light (creation) on day 4 God says let there be light in the expanse of the sky (appearance of the sun in the sky).

There are also translation issues that make this hard to interpret because hebrew does not have a perfect past tense. So the language can't say things like "has had."

This is one of those difficult things and I had to look it up.