Academia and Antifa.

Jan 2007
Antifa are domestic terrorists. Meet their academic apologist. - AEI

By this definition, there is no better example of an opponent of open-minded inquiry and robust debate than Mark Bray, a Dartmouth lecturer who has become the country’s leading academic apologist for antifa — a neo-Marxist movement that attacks peaceful protesters and uses violence to shut down free speech. Bray recently published a pro-antifa book, “Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook” (and to make his allegiance clear, he’s donating part of the proceeds to antifa groups). He openly defends antifa’s violent tactics, which he calls “both ethically justifiable and strategically effective.”

Villanova professor to give lecture justifying Antifa violence | The College Fix
Villanova professor to give lecture justifying Antifa violence

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
One academic? One? Out of tens of thousands of academics in our country you can find one to take just about any position. Some will do it just for shits and giggles. Because they CAN. Because being contrarian is just fun. Because someone will publish something and they can get tenure or promoted or just get attention.

Give me a break.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
I can't see much from the article, but this does appear to be a pretty dangerous idea. Speech is speech. Violence is violence. The rhetorical sleight of hand this person is trying to pull pretends there's no difference, or doesn't have to be. A verbose society can succeed. A society riven with internal political violence cannot.

On the other hand, it also sounds strangely familiar to me--it resonates with the arguments of 2nd A extremists who believe "the people" should always be well-armed enough to collectively overturn their government by force. They claim this as the legacy of our Founders, who took up arms against their oppressors. If it's good enough for right-wing gun owners suspicious of government, why is violence not acceptable for left-wing protestors who see things they find dangerous and threatening?

Jan 2007
One academic? One? Out of tens of thousands of academics in our country you can find one to take just about any position. Some will do it just for shits and giggles. Because they CAN. Because being contrarian is just fun. Because someone will publish something and they can get tenure or promoted or just get attention.

Give me a break.

Way more then one. Academia is the spawning ground for radical movements.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Way more then one. Academia is the spawning ground for radical movements.
You have no idea what academia is. BTW, people have been saying the same things about academics since Socrates.

If there is more than one person saying this, where are they? The whole point of academic pursuits is to publish things and get others to talk about your ideas. Where is that happening? Is there a conference or something? If it's academia, there has to be a conference....

Apr 2019
Southeast
You have no idea what academia is. BTW, people have been saying the same things about academics since Socrates.

If there is more than one person saying this, where are they? The whole point of academic pursuits is to publish things and get others to talk about your ideas. Where is that happening? Is there a conference or something? If it's academia, there has to be a conference....
It appears 100 of his comrades, I mean co workers, support him.

Dartmouth Professors Show Support for Lecturer After Antifa Interviews

https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/...professors-show-support...antifa.../119859

Aug 28, 2017 - More than 100 faculty members at Dartmouth College have signed a letter to Philip J. Hanlon, its president, asking him to retract a statement ...

MORE....
College Professors Begin Direct Support For AntiFa Groups On ...

https://www.zerohedge.com/.../college-profesors-begin-direct-support-antifa-groups-c...

Aug 22, 2017 - Two professors are organizing a campus Antifa (Anti-Fascist Action) organization with the goal of confronting groups it considers fascist and ...
Ad

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
It appears 100 of his comrades, I mean co workers, support him.

Dartmouth Professors Show Support for Lecturer After Antifa Interviews
https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/...professors-show-support...antifa.../119859

Aug 28, 2017 - More than 100 faculty members at Dartmouth College have signed a letter to Philip J. Hanlon, its president, asking him to retract a statement ...

MORE....
College Professors Begin Direct Support For AntiFa Groups On ...
https://www.zerohedge.com/.../college-profesors-begin-direct-support-antifa-groups-c...

Aug 22, 2017 - Two professors are organizing a campus Antifa (Anti-Fascist Action) organization with the goal of confronting groups it considers fascist and ...
Ad
You might want to clear that stuff up before your editing privileges cease. What I see from those links is that local faculty support academic freedom and are coming to the aid of a junior colleague.

You know Voltaire, right?

Jan 2018
Plamer Earth
Although this is a complex issue, I believe that many voters will have a more simplistic view. Many will believe that ANTIFA members are not likely to vote for Trump in 2020. The same goes for the BLM (which has strangely become silent) and for the wackjobs that wear costumes resembling vaginas. As well as the drag queen reading hour crowd etc... "Normals" wanting to MAGA are being pitted against the "not normals". This is an issue that could decide the 2020 election. I find that quite sad.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Although this is a complex issue, I believe that many voters will have a more simplistic view. Many will believe that ANTIFA members are not likely to vote for Trump in 2020. The same goes for the BLM (which has strangely become silent) and for the wackjobs that wear costumes resembling vaginas. As well as the drag queen reading hour crowd etc... "Normals" wanting to MAGA are being pitted against the "not normals". This is an issue that could decide the 2020 election. I find that quite sad.
What a small and bizarre view of the world.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
You might want to clear that stuff up before your editing privileges cease. What I see from those links is that local faculty support academic freedom and are coming to the aid of a junior colleague.

You know Voltaire, right?
Remember professor bike lock? The guy that attempted to murder people for the crime of wearing a maga hat? He was the local professor.

Supporting his academic freedom.

He was ultimately let go on almost nothing because of his "upstanding status in the community".

If these Antifa people were talking, you would have a point. They are not.