Academy Award discrimination

CtC

Mar 2019
California
does anyone really care who directed a movie? Does anyone really look to see who is the director of a movie? Do people attend a movie because of a director... or just for the entertainment value?
Don't know any more. If I hear a movie is REALLY good (rare nowadays) I wait for the DVD.

Reactions: syrenn
Jul 2014
midwest
Don't know any more. If I hear a movie is REALLY good (rare nowadays) I wait for the DVD.
Who wants to go to a theater, pay $14 for popcorn and a coke, and sit there with dozens of people texting, and a few talking?

No thanks!

Sep 2012
California
Again.

Still.

As usual.

No female directors nominated.

Only one best actor nominee is a POC.

They are being slammed for doing what they've always done.

Same old racist, sexist Hollywood...
If this was 20 years ago, I might agree that this was discrimination. But nominations are always obscure to me anyway since I am not in the business. Could it be that the female directors were just not deemed good enough this time around? I have no clue myself but if this type of criticism keeps going you might as well have a quota system. Lets see, for Best Film we must have a woman producer, a gay producer, a latino producer, a one legged blind autistic savant producer, an Inuit producer, a Nigerian Producer and so on and so on. The Oscars are not that important really, they are just a way for the movie industry to get us to see their films and worship their talent. Its all just marketing folks.

Reactions: NightSwimmer
Jul 2014
midwest
If this was 20 years ago, I might agree that this was discrimination. But nominations are always obscure to me anyway since I am not in the business. Could it be that the female directors were just not deemed good enough this time around? I have no clue myself but if this type of criticism keeps going you might as well have a quota system. Lets see, for Best Film we must have a woman producer, a gay producer, a latino producer, a one legged blind autistic savant producer, an Inuit producer, a Nigerian Producer and so on and so on. The Oscars are not that important really, they are just a way for the movie industry to get us to see their films and worship their talent. Its all just marketing folks.
Oh yeah.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Affirmative Action" comes to the I Love Me Awards, also known as the Academy Awards.

Have to pick two whites from this list, and two blacks from this list, and two browns and two Asians, and gays, and native Americans, and Eskimos, Pacific Islanders...

Gots to get them quotas...

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Oh yeah.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Affirmative Action" comes to the I Love Me Awards, also known as the Academy Awards.

Have to pick two whites from this list, and two blacks from this list, and two browns and two Asians, and gays, and native Americans, and Eskimos, Pacific Islanders...

Curiously, the Oscars will again be presented this year without a designated "host".

This following the circus last year with Kevin Hart being scandalized for having once told an off color joke of some sort. (not remembering the details...)

Jul 2014
midwest
Curiously, the Oscars will again be presented this year without a designated "host".

This following the circus last year with Kevin Hart being scandalized for having once told an off color joke of some sort. (not remembering the details...)

They are also afraid someone like Ricky Gervais might tell too many "truthful" jokes.

How does it even work without a host?

Somebody on a loudspeaker just gives the next category and people go up on stage to read the announcement?

Such a bunch of snowflakes, afraid a host might say something they don't wanna hear?

CtC

Mar 2019
California

In person ,most of these Hollywood folks are Asshats anyway. So who cares?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Oh yeah.

America is waaaaaaaay too fixated on the identity stuff, IMHO, yes...

Even Russia, they have divisions over there, but not like this.

For example, famous director over there, won several of those Nika Awards I mentioned before, Karen Shakhnazarov

He is half-Armenian, like me, only, on father's side, where I am on mother's. One of extremely few ethnic minorities, especially from Caucasus, in that whole cinematic pantheon over there...

But, I can't imagine him going up on stage in Moscow somewhere, and starting to go on and on about his ethnic background...

It's just not done, over there...

Except, maybe, for a joke or something.

Like, when Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the ultranationalist LDPR party leader, was up Aleksandr Khinshtein, from Putin's "United Russia", on Vladimir Solovyov's talk show on Russia 1, the Kremlin's main propaganda show, back in 2018

They were really going at each other. Zhirinovsky (whose dad was a Jew originally from Poland, hence his patronymic, Volfovich) was, weirdly enough, insulting Khinshtein for his own Jewish roots, who was, understandably, yelling back that "You want to bring my surname into this, we can talk about your patronymic too..." and "You are a Jew yourself, you moron!" Zhirinovsky, of course, yelled back "I am Russkiy [ethnic Russian], motherfucker!" lmao And Solovyov is also of ethnic Jewish lineage. And, at one point, he commented, before the commercial break that "What a fascinating time in history we have reached, when three Jews can stand around on state TV and argue about the direction where Russia should be heading!" haha

But, yeah, mostly, ethnicity is far too sensitive a subject over there, to be thrown around lightly, like on this side of the pond...

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
If someone says "The movie blahblah was one of the best pictures of the year and it's female director wasn't nominated" then I'm all ears. That's serious. That's a real discussion.

But saying "there weren't any female directors nominated" is NOT the same.

Is there a quota system now?
Yes. Haven't you seen the internet? It is a place where everyone thinks their opinion matters. And a healthy few of them have been talking about it.

But I agree with your first statement.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Never liked musicals, to be honest... lol
You need to see Anna and the Apocalypse. It's British. And it never takes itself too seriously, it starts off as ho hum, then gets huh, then WTF, then LMFAO. The music bit aren't bad and there is plenty of blood. If you have cable up there you can probably find a showing of it. It was just on the other night on Dish down here in the lower 57 (wing nut heads are too fragile not to mess with).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Man