Accusations of anti Semitism move to the forefront of UK elections

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Social inequality, resolving Brexit, investment in the struggling National Health Service — these are some of the issues Britain’s opposition Labour Party had hoped would top the agenda during the election campaign.

Instead, the party is mired in a continuing anti-Semitism crisis amid accusations that it has mismanaged bigotry among its own members ahead of the Dec. 12 vote. Many, including activists, lawmakers and the mainstream Jewish community, say the blame for the scandal lies with the party’s leader, Jeremy Corbyn.

Anxiety is running so high in the Jewish community that the U.K.'s chief rabbi made an unprecedented intervention last week, calling the party’s response to anti-Semitism allegations “utterly inadequate” in a letter to The Times newspaper. “There seems to be no willingness to engage with the fact that many Jewish people have left the party, that they feel it’s not a safe space,” said Mike Katz, the national chair of the 99-year-old Jewish Labour Movement. In April, the group deemed Corbyn unfit to be prime minister.

On Tuesday, Corbyn responded to questions about apologizing to the Jewish community in a BBC interview, saying that his government would “protect every community against the abuse they receive."

Reactions: The Man
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
The Rabbi, a friend of Johnson, leads a conservative grouping of perhaps 40,000 of Britain's 280,000 people who identify as Jewish. There is no doubt that antisemitism exists in British society. It g=has been weaponised against Labour, and particularly Corbyn in recent years. This old clip of Corbyn gives the lie to the slurs.

Sep 2016
My own world
The Rabbi, a friend of Johnson, leads a conservative grouping of perhaps 40,000 of Britain's 280,000 people who identify as Jewish. There is no doubt that antisemitism exists in British society. It g=has been weaponised against Labour, and particularly Corbyn in recent years. This old clip of Corbyn gives the lie to the slurs.

I am confused. I thought the labour party was the same as the Democrats but I just found out there is an actual party called the Democrats. Who is anti Brexit?

Feb 2010
I am confused. I thought the labour party was the same as the Democrats but I just found out there is an actual party called the Democrats. Who is anti Brexit?
Okay. Deep breath, where to start?:

Tory/Conservative, = Republican ... Brexit. Come hell (probable) or high water.
Labour, = Democrat ....Also Brexit but with caveats and more unicorns, and a "Final Say" referendum on whatever deal they concoct.
Liberal Democrat. .In between-ish the other two. Were in coalition with Cameron's last Tory term, which was very harsh on the poorest, though the LibDems claimed they moderated the worst! ...Remain. Smallest of the three, but might end up powerbroking a hung parliament.
Brexit Party. ... radical single issue Brexit, but currently polling at 3% Serve only to goad Tories into further leave excesses.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Aug 2018
Vancouver

Labour, = Democrat ....Also Brexit but with caveats and more unicorns, and a "Final Say" referendum on whatever deal they concoct.
Liberal Democrat. .In between-ish the other two. Were in coalition with Cameron's last Tory term, which was very harsh on the poorest, though the LibDems claimed they moderated the worst! ...Remain. Smallest of the three, but might end up powerbroking a hung parliament.
Brexit Party. ... radical single issue Brexit, but currently polling at 3% Serve only to goad Tories into further leave excesses.
Makes sense to me. They seem quite sensibly named.

Reactions: Dangermouse
Feb 2010
Some time back the Liberal Party were the tiny centrist party, when a group split from the right of the (leftist) Labour Party and formed the "Social Democratic Party." It stumbled along for a decade or so, then merged with the Liberal party to form today's Liberal Democratic Party. Leave and remain isn't a party issue per se.
There were many of both camps in both main parties. The Tory party is currently effectively being run by the executive of the Vote Leave group, and more than 20 of their remain MP's have left or been deselected.

Sep 2016
My own world

How do you all keep that straight? 4 parties= Couldn't they come up with better names than Labour and Liberal Democrat? Nobody is No Brexit.

Reactions: Dangermouse
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
How do you all keep that straight? 4 parties= Couldn't they come up with better names than Labour and Liberal Democrat? Nobody is No Brexit.
It looks like the Liberal Democrats are the only ones for remain? I think (someone feel free to correct me) that Labour is made up of more blue collar left leaning progressives while Liberal Democrats are more white collar left leaning voters? I guess with Parliamentary elections they are different but would form a coalition together. There also is the Green Party too.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Some time back the Liberal Party were the tiny centrist party, when a group split from the right of the (leftist) Labour Party and formed the "Social Democratic Party." It stumbled along for a decade or so, then merged with the Liberal party to form today's Liberal Democratic Party. Leave and remain isn't a party issue per se.
There were many of both camps in both main parties. The Tory party is currently effectively being run by the executive of the Vote Leave group, and more than 20 of their remain MP's have left or been deselected.
Where does that guy Nigel Farage fit in? As I recall wasnt he the ringleader for Brexit?