Active Shooter Situation' Sends Cops to Houston Strip Mall

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Here we go again.

Several people were taken to hospitals after an "active shooter situation" that started at a Houston shopping center Monday morning, officials said.

Police later said that a suspect had been shot by officers.

More than 15 EMS crews were dispatched about 6:30 a.m. (7:30 a.m. ET) to reports of shots fired at a Petco store in in the southwest of the city, Houston Fire Department spokesman Jay Evans told NBC News.

'Active Shooter Situation' Sends Cops to Houston Strip Mall - NBC News

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Reactions: 1 person

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
I figured that would become the trendy act of terror, sooner or later.

Easy, does not require great numbers, or planning, and, you generally have easy targets. Perfect for a killer who wants to die while visiting his misery on society, in general.

Actually, I am surprised we have not seen more complex mall shootings.

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I figured that would become the trendy act of terror, sooner or later.

Easy, does not require great numbers, or planning, and, you generally have easy targets. Perfect for a killer who wants to die while visiting his misery on society, in general.

Actually, I am surprised we have not seen more complex mall shootings.
Same here. I have always suspected there would be more acts like this in malls, it cuts right into the heart of America, shopping! But seriously, as you said its a perfect opportunity with no restrictions. You see people walking around with large boxes and bags, perfect for anyone with nefarious reasons.

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
Same here. I have always suspected there would be more acts like this in malls, it cuts right into the heart of America, shopping! But seriously, as you said its a perfect opportunity with no restrictions. You see people walking around with large boxes and bags, perfect for anyone with nefarious reasons.
Plus, with Malls, you can "herd" people, due to limited exits/access.

A "squad" of 7-12 terrorists could do LOTS of damage, but, still, just one, can take down a lot of people before being put down.

The only negatives are: A. There is armed security, although those can be anywhere in the building, and B. The possibility of an armed citizen.

(And those are not big obstacles, if one's intent is to die while murdering as many innocents as possible.)

Hard to defeat the goals of that mindset, once it is in full action......