Addiction Discussion Thread

Jan 2019
Tempe, AZ
I guess I don't understand why some apparently cannot stop drugs, illegal or otherwise. It is not rocket science.

I was on HIGH levels of BOTH Fentanyl (the 3rd level; 75 mcg/hr.) AND Oxycontin (2 tablets, three times a day) at the same time for many months.

When I decide to go off them, I simply tapered off. I went down to 50mcg/hr. for two weeks, then 25mcg/hr. for two weeks, then 6 tabs/day Oxy only, for two weeks, then 4 tabs/day for a few days, then 3 tabs/day for a few days, then 2 tabs/day for a few days, the one at bedtime for a few days
When I tried to go to ZERO, I found I had significant "restlessness", so I cut tabs in 1/2, and took 1/2 tabs at bedtime for a few nights.

I never did have "cravings" for more when tapering off, nor did I crave then when completely off.

Jun 2014
United States
I guess I don't understand why some apparently cannot stop drugs, illegal or otherwise. It is not rocket science.

I was on HIGH levels of BOTH Fentanyl (the 3rd level; 75 mcg/hr.) AND Oxycontin (2 tablets, three times a day) at the same time for many months.

When I decide to go off them, I simply tapered off. I went down to 50mcg/hr. for two weeks, then 25mcg/hr. for two weeks, then 6 tabs/day Oxy only, for two weeks, then 4 tabs/day for a few days, then 3 tabs/day for a few days, then 2 tabs/day for a few days, the one at bedtime for a few days
When I tried to go to ZERO, I found I had significant "restlessness", so I cut tabs in 1/2, and took 1/2 tabs at bedtime for a few nights.

I never did have "cravings" for more when tapering off, nor did I crave then when completely off.

Different people have different reactions to medications. That can be attributed to variations in body chemistry as well as mental attitude.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
addictions is a disease. Some people can stop without treatment. Some people can't. Everyone is different. In your case it looks like, hopefully, you were under the care of a qualified medical professional. Not everyone is so lucky.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader

You obviously were not addicted to anything. That would explain your inability to understand the phenomenon.

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
I tend to not agree that addiction is a disease. You can’t catch addiction. It isn’t airborne. You can, however, stop smoking or drinking or drugs . You can’t stop cancer...just decide you don’t want it anymore and taper off.
People who are addicted are weak. When they get strong, if they do, they get over the addiction.
Simple as that.

Jun 2014
United States
I tend to not agree that addiction is a disease. You can’t catch addiction. It isn’t airborne. You can, however, stop smoking or drinking or drugs . You can’t stop cancer...just decide you don’t want it anymore and taper off.
People who are addicted are weak. When they get strong, if they do, they get over the addiction.
Simple as that.

I disagree. You can't "catch" schizophrenia either, but it's still a disease.

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
I disagree. You can't "catch" schizophrenia either, but it's still a disease.
Schizophrenia is a mental condition. No one experiments with schizophrenia then inadvertently gets hooked on it. Schizophrenia isn’t a decision like drugs or alcohol are.

Jun 2014
United States
Schizophrenia is a mental condition. No one experiments with schizophrenia then inadvertently gets hooked on it. Schizophrenia isn’t a decision like drugs or alcohol are.

Addiction isn't a decision either. Some folks can use drugs recreationally without becoming addicted. Some can't. Writing that off as strength or weakness is just a cop out.

BTW: I'm not prone to addiction myself, but I don't let that fact lead me to believe that I'm some sort of superman.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
That's my point! No reason to "feel" addicted! It is simply "mind over matter".
That is not your point. Your point is that because you were not addicted, neither is/was anyone else. That makes no sense.

And no one feels addicted. One is, or is not. Willpower, or "mind over matter," is not necessary for the non-addict, and not particularly helpful to the addict.

You simply do not know what you are talking about.