Affordable Healthcare - No longer a mystery to become compliant

Oct 2013
USA
Stage One: Before the rollout we received the usual annual notice that the cost was going up. The illegal old plan was updated and they drove the cost up. We refused the revision and shopped the Blue Shield/Florida Blue site and called and got a similar plan for less and we have been compliant for several months, paying less.

Stage Two: Our Insurance did tell us they may have a cheaper version on the Healthcare market and to check it. Since the rollout we could only get so far without the same conflict and inability to get signup beyond "in progress." We never got to the market via the website. We could not get that far. No problem.

Stage Three: We called the number and a young woman walked us through the revisions she manually placed in our account. It took about the same amount of time as filling it out on the website except she answered some questions we had. One question was if they took our total income if one person was being covered and she said only the income of the insured was needed. Not sure she is correct but if not I am sure we'll know that in the final acceptance. Additionally we questioned whether we had to go with a company insurance as we opted to go private insurance in real life all along. It was slightly cheaper and equal coverage and it was the same company so why would we use the company insurance? She wrote it up as replacing our private insurance.

So that is where we are currently. Stage Four will be after the application is approved and we can get to the offerings. I'll let you know what my impression is on the costs and the offerings as soon as we get to that.

All in all it was not nearly as complex as one would be lead to believe by all the stories. But my own experience is simply how it works in Florida. Seems only the Junk Insurance who have always screwed their customers refused to make their policies legal and that does not apply to the tried and true good insurance companies. Since every state is different depending on how good or bad any state's insurance company may be or whether any state accepted moneys for their constituents, I am just letting you know the results of our own research early on until now. Incidentally we do not qualify for help so this is just based on self-paying for compliant individual coverage.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 5 people
Oct 2013
USA
Here is another tip. We were on our account on the website and there was an option to speak to someone and we asked her for the best number to call when she could not answer our question and that was the number we used.

When we got the human on the phone she initially said for us to try the website in off hours but we told her we already did that and asked her if she would just take the information now. That is when she guided us through it and inputted info into our account.

Might be important to know if you call and they say the same thing - try in off hours.

Reactions: 1 person
Aug 2013
Road Less Traveled
Here is another tip. We were on our account on the website and there was an option to speak to someone and we asked her for the best number to call when she could not answer our question and that was the number we used.

When we got the human on the phone she initially said for us to try the website in off hours but we told her we already did that and asked her if she would just take the information now. That is when she guided us through it and inputted info into our account.

Might be important to know if you call and they say the same thing - try in off hours.
You described the methods of a "can do" person and it was helpful. Bump and run. Emphasis on keeping running.

Pugs are under the impression that all Americans are "can't do" crybabies like themselves. The only people they care about who need assistance are the incompetents and quitters. They bump, give up, look for someone else to blame for it and are not helpful.

Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2013
USA
Did you score some of your neighbor's money via a subsidy?
No. As I said, we qualify for nothing so this is a breakdown of how we became compliant early and then managed to get the correct information to the website for a private policy we pay for without help.

Those who qualify for help in most states can get that on the same phone call. States who refused federal money to expand Medicaid like a few of the Red States may be screwed though. Particularly since some companies do not want to be in the poorer states who opted out.

I think this is going to be a state by state story. Thus far in Florida like many states it is sweet! Good or bad, my explanation of the process we took to get it done can be done by anyone no matter where they live.

Feb 2011
happyfunville
I commend you for not stealing, then. I would also ask that you support my right to forego insurance coverage and pay for whatever care I can afford out of pocket. Thank you in advance.

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
Regarding Stage Two, I don't think they want anyone to know cost of the various offerings yet, do they? We have to apply first, then wait some period of time to know what we can purchase.

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
Stage Three: We called the number and a young woman walked us through the revisions she manually placed in our account. It took about the same amount of time as filling it out on the website except she answered some questions we had. One question was if they took our total income if one person was being covered and she said only the income of the insured was needed. Not sure she is correct but if not I am sure we'll know that in the final acceptance. Additionally we questioned whether we had to go with a company insurance as we opted to go private insurance in real life all along. It was slightly cheaper and equal coverage and it was the same company so why would we use the company insurance? She wrote it up as replacing our private insurance.
What is the "company" insurance? The company you work for? A private insurer you've been using? Or, the insurance offered through the Exchange?
What is "It"?

Thanks. I'm just a little confused by the way you structured you comments.

Oct 2013
USA
Regarding Stage Two, I don't think they want anyone to know cost of the various offerings yet, do they? We have to apply first, then wait some period of time to know what we can purchase.
Not really. We already got a cheaper compliant plan before the rollout so we're already set. Because of that it doesn't matter except that Blue Shield said to check a cheaper plans in the rollout. We'll see. Since we got compliant early it would have to be really good to switch.

Oct 2013
USA
What is the "company" insurance? The company you work for? A private insurer you've been using? Or, the insurance offered through the Exchange?
What is "It"?

Thanks. I'm just a little confused by the way you structured you comments.
Sorry for the confusion. Company is "work insurance". Hope this added explanation won't be confusing too but this is why we did a private plan initially: We opted out of company provided plans and bought our own private plan unrelated to the company. Did not want to be married to the job and the private policy was the same Insurance company as at work but only slightly less (a few dollars less so unimportant.) The negative of doing that at that time is that the company provided insurance was paid pre-tax or off the top. So we did lose a little tax benefit over it back in the day when we decided not to use it and just buy our own private plan.